The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #18,661 of 22,511
I got a new toy today. I think it's one of the first. Have to say my initial impressions are quite positive with Abyss and Susvara. I never heard the Bakoon Amp 13r so can't compare it. I'll do some more listening and offer impressions.

IMG-3226.jpg

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #18,662 of 22,511
I got a new toy today. I think it's one of the first. Have to say my initial impressions are quite positive with Abyss and Susvara. I never heard the Bakoon Amp 13r so can't compare it. I'll do some more listening and offer impressions.

IMG-3226.jpg

Looking forward to your impressions, curious about how it compares to WA33.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #18,663 of 22,511
if it is as good as the 13r it will be a great amp although I must say I like the 13r form factor much better

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #18,664 of 22,511
On my birthday list 1266 complete

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #18,666 of 22,511
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #18,667 of 22,511
And I bet donuts the CFA3 still crushes the 23R. Stupid move, they lost any aesthetic tact they had with the 13R.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #18,668 of 22,511
And I bet donuts the CFA3 still crushes the 23R. Stupid move, they lost any aesthetic tact they had with the 13R.
The 23R certainly had a couple donuts in it... I really like to know what the thought process was for the design, like how does one look at the 13R, design the 23R and goes yea that looks like a step forward

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #18,669 of 22,511
if it is as good as the 13r it will be a great amp although I must say I like the 13r form factor much better

I agree the Bakoon has better curb appeal - but it works better for me, I think, because I can stack it on M Scaler without it getting too hot with the legs. I tried to buy a used 13r for a while and then thought, why not give this a try, with the trial period, new.

The 6moons article said it sounds slightly weightier than the 13r, but I imagine it would be hard to tell them apart. Anyhow, I’m really impressed thus far. I haven’t listened to speaker amps with these headphones, but I think it’s a lot better than the Formula S, Benchmark HPA4 and V281. Haven’t tried Nimbus or CFA3. I’ll compare to the Wa33 eventually.

It’s warm, fast, liquid and incredibly transparent. Most impressive to me however is tone. I’m a tone junky and it’s the first thing I listen for and it’s great. Listening in high gain I have way more power and headroom than I’d ever possibly need. Dynamics are on point. No negatives thus far but need more listening time.

I think Wa33/23r is a pretty phenomenal tube/ solid state combo - especially for those that prioritize tone like me.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #18,670 of 22,511

Serious question - I’m interested in how you compare the CFA3 to the Bakoon/Enleum. I know you didn’t like the Bakoon - but in what ways do you like the CFA3 better? I’m interested mainly because I’d consider commissioning a CFA3 build, but I am concerned it’s too cold. I also feel like we have very different taste as I know you don’t like the Wa33 very much either and I love it, so want to understand if it’s a signature I’d enjoy.

I respect your knowledge and experience with audio, so would love your thoughts. I also really appreciate the value and passion the DIY community and Kevin Gilmore have brought to the audio world. From a technical standpoint I know the KG designs equal or surpass many commercial designs - for a lot less cost - in most cases. The only KG amp I’ve owned is the Carbon with the 009 - and while the soundstage and dynamics were fantastic - it felt a little too dry for me - both in the analytical sense and in the sense that it wasn’t quite as “liquid” as I like. That said I enjoyed the 007 mk2 more with it - so may just be the 009 does better with tubes.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #18,671 of 22,511
he also doesnt like the susvara...I used to try to understand many of his opinions and when I saw his view on the susvara I finally understood...by the way that is his right since this is a subjective hobby

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #18,672 of 22,511
Hey all. Been a while since I posted here.. because for the longest time, I've always preferred listening with the Utopia and Susvara.

Yea the abyss does bass really well, but I always felt that the mids could be better and the highs were occasionally too sharp, plus vocals felt a bit empty and echoey or hollow sounding. Also, I had a major issue with imaging on the abyss; seemed like there was a tonne of information being delivered but not in a coherent way, and I could not really pinpoint where sound/elements of the music were coming from as easily as I could with the utopia/susvara.

Thankfully, that has all changed now, since adding a musical paradise mp-701 mk2 tube preamplifier to the chain. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting the best layering, imaging, depth, soundstage and even more bass than I've ever had with the Abyss. Vocals actually sound correct now (lol)..

On my lineup of headphones, it has pretty much shot the Abyss 1266 TC Phi to the top of the list. I'm a bit busy nowadays, so I will write a bit more on it when I have the time, but for now, I have to say its a game changer for me and the Abyss.

20211121_135128.jpg

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #18,673 of 22,511
Hey all. Been a while since I posted here.. because for the longest time, I've always preferred listening with the Utopia and Susvara.

Yea the abyss does bass really well, but I always felt that the mids could be better and the highs were occasionally too sharp, plus vocals felt a bit empty and echoey or hollow sounding. Also, I had a major issue with imaging on the abyss; seemed like there was a tonne of information being delivered but not in a coherent way, and I could not really pinpoint where sound/elements of the music were coming from as easily as I could with the utopia/susvara.

Thankfully, that has all changed now, since adding a musical paradise mp-701 mk2 tube preamplifier to the chain. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting the best layering, imaging, depth, soundstage and even more bass than I've ever had with the Abyss. Vocals actually sound correct now (lol)..

On my lineup of headphones, it has pretty much shot the Abyss 1266 TC Phi to the top of the list. I'm a bit busy nowadays, so I will write a bit more on it when I have the time, but for now, I have to say its a game changer for me and the Abyss.

Thanks! This DAC has been on my wishlist.

Just ordered a pontus II, but really want to try this DAC eventually.
*Edit*
Ohh you're talking about their preamp.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #18,674 of 22,511

20211121_135128.jpg
Cool. I was contemplating the one for sale on USAM a bit back. What DAC chips are in yours? Nice impressions. But I wonder, how do you roll the tubes? They're pretty sunk in. Do you have to remove the cover?

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #18,675 of 22,511
he also doesnt like the susvara...I used to try to understand many of his opinions and when I saw his view on the susvara I finally understood...by the way that is his right since this is a subjective hobby

Of course it is. I just want to get a handle on the CFA3 signature in comparison to something I’m familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back