The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #17,851 of 22,406
What does the TC have that the Susvara does not? Build quality for sure. The Abyss look like they will last a lifetime and I actually love the look of them.

If you by good build quality mean gear that need no repair at all Abyss is not that good. Their headband (o-ring) breaks down rather often.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #17,852 of 22,406
Of course it can! If you don't feel any shortcomings then that's all that matters. Personally, I would go to the Susvara if I could only have one.
Comfort? More forgiving? What would be the reason for this. I know this is an Abyss thread but I am genuinely interested to know why.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #17,853 of 22,406
If you by good build quality mean gear that need no repair at all Abyss is not that good. Their headband (o-ring) breaks down rather often.
I do not have the O-ring. They seem to be built to last.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #17,854 of 22,406
You might rather complain about the $800 ear pad replacements and not the three ****ing cent o ring which is easy to replace. LMAO.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #17,855 of 22,406
Just a quick question - can Abyss be the one and only one headphone to keep? E.g. do you feel the need to compliment TC with another pair of headphone, says something that does better in mids?
If you don't need a closed back or a portable option, then I think it can be your only pair of headphones

If you want a different sound, the Susvaras (smoother and more forgiving) or SR1as (higher resolution and larger soundstage) are great choices and contrast well with the TCs

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #17,857 of 22,406
You might rather complain about the $800 ear pad replacements and not the three ****ing cent o ring which is easy to replace. LMAO.

If someone would ever state that the Susvara will last a lifetime, I will let them know about their lousy pads 🤭.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #17,859 of 22,406
OK so I have had the 1266TC a week now and I promised myself I would not listen to my HEKs for at least a week as this is the best way for me to make a comparison, I cant do the quick switching of HPs with various tracks, for me that just does not work as I find I listen too hard if you like.
Also will state I am not that good at describing what I hear, but I will try.

First things first I think the 1266TC are not as forgiving as the HEK, if the recording is poor, but god you know its poor with the Abyss. I guess thats not really a criticism though.

HEK the vocals seem a little more prominent to me , they seem to take centre stage if that makes sense. I also noticed the drum snare more on the HEK.

My biggest gripe is the comfort of the 1266TC, I am getting used to it but I seem to be continually fiddling with the position of the earcups even after the revelation the other night of having them slightly toed out. The toeing out is a game changer for me as it just made them so much more comfortable on my head. The sound also opened up and I feel the bass sounded better this way too. I am sure I have a few OCDs though any my constant fiddling with the position of the TCs annoys me ....and I accept its me doing the fiddling :relaxed:. My HEKs just go on my head and stay there.....I never fiddle. IF ONLY THEY SOUNDED AS GOOD AS THE 1266TC :), but they definitely do not!

My biggest feeling with the HEK back on is they sound like a closed headphone in comparison, lacking in that open sound and lacking the instrument separation.
The old cliche......yes they sound muddy in comparison.

The Abyss really excels in the bass area , and this is an area I used to love about my HEKs, but the TCs just take this to another level. This was really helped for me when I toed the earcups out a little. The bass then seemed to get tighter and did not become too overpowering. The HEKs bass now sounds dull.....I did not expect that.

So in summing up I would like to get the comfort issues finally put to bed but the Abyss are keepers.

I wish I could hear the Susvara too but thats not possible. I am sure they would be more comfortable, but what would I miss ? What does the TC have that the Susvara does not? Build quality for sure. The Abyss look like they will last a lifetime and I actually love the look of them.

Thanks to everyone who reached out and helped me on this forum, much appreciated.
What specifics regarding comfort is problematic. Hot spots, clamping, tension?

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #17,861 of 22,406
My biggest gripe is the comfort of the 1266TC, I am getting used to it but I seem to be continually fiddling with the position of the earcups even after the revelation the other night of having them slightly toed out. The toeing out is a game changer for me as it just made them so much more comfortable on my head. The sound also opened up and I feel the bass sounded better this way too. I am sure I have a few OCDs though any my constant fiddling with the position of the TCs annoys me ....and I accept its me doing the fiddling :relaxed:. My HEKs just go on my head and stay there.....I never fiddle. IF ONLY THEY SOUNDED AS GOOD AS THE 1266TC :), but they definitely do not!

So in summing up I would like to get the comfort issues finally put to bed but the Abyss are keepers.
Comfort/fiddling were the only gripes I didn't like about the TC. It checks every other box outside of that. I just hope... (crossing fingers) they redesign the headband system where "it just works" out of the box and I don't have to fiddle with it. Even if I got it right, I dread the day when a friend asks to listen to adjust it to their head... and the cycle repeats.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #17,862 of 22,406
What specifics regarding comfort is problematic. Hot spots, clamping, tension?
I think I am a fiddler by nature so the fact that they do not just sit on top of my head and stay there takes some adjusting to.
Your post last week really helped me and the toeing out is a huge improvement.
I am used to the HEK and the HD800S , I have not checked but I assume they are much lighter than the Abyss. I will get used to them though I would imagine.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #17,863 of 22,406
Obviously not, or you either misunderstood my point, and/or I never had this issue. I've had mine since December 2019 and still have the original O ring.

Even if one broke, am I supposed to cry about it as some people do? Shi t happens, and so you spend a couple of bucks and get another one.
My o-rings snap every month or two.
Not a huge deal to replace them, but the entire headband system could be massively improved by Abyss. It should be adjustable from the outset and not need o-rings of different sizes. I now own $40 of o-rings, which is ridiculous.

I love the sound of the TC but comfort for me is still not great after many months of fiddling. I'm now on size 218 o-rings and have installed 2 Dakoni nuggets. Will likely install another 2 nuggets.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #17,864 of 22,406
Comfort/fiddling were the only gripes I didn't like about the TC. It checks every other box outside of that. I just hope... (crossing fingers) they redesign the headband system where "it just works" out of the box and I don't have to fiddle with it. Even if I got it right, I dread the day when a friend asks to listen to adjust it to their head... and the cycle repeats.
Yeah this :relaxed:
My girlfriend asked for a listen at the weekend , I looked at her as if she had just told me she had bedded my best mate :relaxed:
I also swear that they dont stay in the same position even when I put them on the stand

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #17,865 of 22,406
My o-rings snap every month or two.
Not a huge deal to replace them, but the entire headband system could be massively improved by Abyss. It should be adjustable from the outset and not need o-rings of different sizes. I now own $40 of o-rings, which is ridiculous.

I love the sound of the TC but comfort for me is still not great after many months of fiddling. I'm now on size 218 o-rings and have installed 2 Dakoni nuggets. Will likely install another 2 nuggets.
How do they snap that often? You better switch from SuperBurrito to MiniBurrito. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back