The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #17,656 of 22,434
I did not do a deep-dive comparison. But generally the tonality of the OG is a bit off compared to the TC, especially in the mids. But I enjoy it, it could be even described as "colored".

Hi, when you mention about the mid of the OG being more 'colored', could it mean it is more pronounced than the TC? I have not heard about either the OG and the TC in person, and occasionally I come across remark that the mid is 'recessed'. If it is 'recessed' in a neutral way without being 'muddy', then I guess it is good for me, as I listen heavily to vocal songs. Then again back to your description especially the mid, I wonder comparing the OG to TC especially at the mid region, which one will stand out more, thanks!

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #17,657 of 22,434
I think I am about to take the jump and go for the TC......my biggest worry is the fit and comfort. My HEKs I just pick them up and plonk them on my head. It looks like the TCs need a bit of time taken to get a good fit. Would I have to do this every time? Or once I have the optimum fit is it easy for the headphones to stay that way?
There's a stand for it that allows you to keep the frame toed in (or out) as you like it, so it's easy to put it back on in the same position. Almost the same as a 'regular' headphone, at that point.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ressions-thread.666765/page-858#post-15985121

Edit: I said in the post above that I don't leave it toed in, which was true then, but I do do that now. It's very convenient.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #17,658 of 22,434
Hi, when you mention about the mid of the OG being more 'colored', could it mean it is more pronounced than the TC? I have not heard about either the OG and the TC in person, and occasionally I come across remark that the mid is 'recessed'. If it is 'recessed' in a neutral way without being 'muddy', then I guess it is good for me, as I listen heavily to vocal songs. Then again back to your description especially the mid, I wonder comparing the OG to TC especially at the mid region, which one will stand out more, thanks!

I will try to do some more detailled comparison tomorrow maybe and will let you know. As said the main difference is that the OG sounds "off" but more "vivid" or "colored" and less neutral than the TC. Everything else is quite similar or nothing you would immediately notice.

I tried to find some graphs to see whats going on but I was unsuccsessful finding two measurements from the same authority. I found one from innerfidelity and the other from ASR and scaled them more or less equally and put them over each other.

1631958216865.png

You can see the upper mid dip on the OG and in a high contrast the emphasis on >10KHZ frequencies, maybe that's the difference that let me preceive the mids more pronounced on the OG and the sound in general more "colorful". And the uppper mid dip itself is then the reason for sounding "off". But actually I would have expected to have changes in the mids directly, but I will do some side by side comparisons soon so maybe I can give you some examples and verify my former impressions.

Edit:
Take it really with a grain of salt, they are two different measurement units and I don't know what normlization is applied to them. The upper mid dip seems very big which I know from Audeze headphones and I can hear that quite immediately. I find half the music is missing on an LCD-4 for example. I didn't notice that on the OG.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #17,660 of 22,434
I will try to do some more detailled comparison tomorrow maybe and will let you know. As said the main difference is that the OG sounds "off" but more "vivid" or "colored" and less neutral than the TC. Everything else is quite similar or nothing you would immediately notice.

I tried to find some graphs to see whats going on but I was unsuccsessful finding two measurements from the same authority. I found one from innerfidelity and the other from ASR and scaled them more or less equally and put them over each other.

1631958216865.png

You can see the upper mid dip on the OG and in a high contrast the emphasis on >10KHZ frequencies, maybe that's the difference that let me preceive the mids more pronounced on the OG and the sound in general more "colorful". And the uppper mid dip itself is then the reason for sounding "off". But actually I would have expected to have changes in the mids directly, but I will do some side by side comparisons soon so maybe I can give you some examples and verify my former impressions.

Edit:
Take it really with a grain of salt, they are two different measurement units and I don't know what normlization is applied to them. The upper mid dip seems very big which I know from Audeze headphones and I can hear that quite immediately. I find half the music is missing on an LCD-4 for example. I didn't notice that on the OG.

Wow thank you so much for the effort! The last example actually nail it when you use Audeze as an example. I owned LCD-X and to me I really need to EQ it heavily on mid else the mid sounded muffled or muddy. I am still wondering if I should get the OG first for about 50% cost of the TC and see how it goes before 'commit' fully into TC haha.

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #17,661 of 22,434
I think I am about to take the jump and go for the TC......my biggest worry is the fit and comfort. My HEKs I just pick them up and plonk them on my head. It looks like the TCs need a bit of time taken to get a good fit. Would I have to do this every time? Or once I have the optimum fit is it easy for the headphones to stay that way?
It took me 30 minutes the first day and I haven’t had to adjust them since. When I found the right position for me, I used a pencil and traced the curve at the top so that I could reset them if I ever needed to.

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #17,662 of 22,434
OK I have just ordered the TC and they arrive on Tuesday. Thanks to all of you who have reached out and helped me on here it is very much appreciated.

I will be using the Burson Conductor 3X Reference DAC/AMP with them so I hope that I will like this combination. I know that the amp and DAC itch will hit me but for then next 6 to 12 months that is me broke now :relaxed:
Currently on p 858 of this thread and loving some of your set ups, some of them I could only dream of. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #17,663 of 22,434
OK I have just ordered the TC and they arrive on Tuesday. Thanks to all of you who have reached out and helped me on here it is very much appreciated.

I will be using the Burson Conductor 3X Reference DAC/AMP with them so I hope that I will like this combination. I know that the amp and DAC itch will hit me but for then next 6 to 12 months that is me broke now :relaxed:
Currently on p 858 of this thread and loving some of your set ups, some of them I could only dream of. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions
Great news. That's pretty fast. You are in for a treat!

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #17,664 of 22,434
Great news. That's pretty fast. You are in for a treat!
Yeah for me this is fast as I normally take a lot more time than this , but I got a knee injury about 10 days ago and it looks like my outdoor life will be curtailed for a while so this is like a little pick me up to myself :relaxed:

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #17,665 of 22,434
Yeah for me this is fast as I normally take a lot more time than this , but I got a knee injury about 10 days ago and it looks like my outdoor life will be curtailed for a while so this is like a little pick me up to myself :relaxed:
Not only the decision making, but the delivery time. Some folks have had to wait for months.. Get well soon, and enjoy the music in the meantime!

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #17,666 of 22,434
but the delivery time. Some folks have had to wait for months
True. Mine’s got pushed back to mid/end October 😓

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #17,667 of 22,434
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #17,668 of 22,434
True. Mine’s got pushed back to mid/end October 😓
I am in the UK, the supermarket shelves are empty but I can get these in a couple of days :)

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #17,670 of 22,434
Although I am delighted with the quick despatch I am now wondering if I am getting the older model with the older headband?
I am not sure when the changes were made as my head is in a fuzz after reading over 900 pages of this thread over last few days :relaxed:
I might drop them an email

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back