The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #17,671 of 22,434
Although I am delighted with the quick despatch I am now wondering if I am getting the older model with the older headband?
I am not sure when the changes were made as my head is in a fuzz after reading over 900 pages of this thread over last few days :relaxed:
I might drop them an email
That was some time ago, I'm sure it'll be the new headband.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #17,672 of 22,434
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #17,674 of 22,434
What’s the issue with the older headband?
I have it don’t find a problem :)
The new headband is more comfortable and the o rings are replaceable. But if you're happy, you're happy. :)

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #17,676 of 22,434
Anyone try the Wells Audio Headtrip with Abyss 1266, what has been your experience and compared to amps ?

Great match. On the warmer and "romantic" side of things, less so than the Milo though.

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #17,677 of 22,434
One of my o-rings ripped. Can someone please explain to me how to replace it? The headband is sewn closed and the o-ring is closed. One of them needs to open to enable me to slip the o-ring through the headband slot..

Also- is there a link someone can recommend for an assortment of sizes between 211-217?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #17,678 of 22,434
One of my o-rings ripped. Can someone please explain to me how to replace it? The headband is sewn closed and the o-ring is closed. One of them needs to open to enable me to slip the o-ring through the headband slot..

Also- is there a link someone can recommend for an assortment of sizes between 211-217?

You can't.. Unless u cut the headband and sew it back. U need to order one of the new replacement headbands (that come with screw closures for easy changes, in case the rubber ring snaps again).

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #17,681 of 22,434
I noticed when ordering the new headband that there are "latest version earpads". How new are they? They seem to be a bit deeper.

Are they worth $400?

If you have the TC you have the newest pads, and also most if not all of the CC shipped with them also. There are only two pad versions for the 1266, the ones which are shallower with no perforation, and the deeper ones with perforations.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #17,683 of 22,434
Wow thank you so much for the effort! The last example actually nail it when you use Audeze as an example. I owned LCD-X and to me I really need to EQ it heavily on mid else the mid sounded muffled or muddy. I am still wondering if I should get the OG first for about 50% cost of the TC and see how it goes before 'commit' fully into TC haha.

So did some side by side comparison today. Same cables, volume matched signal at around 80DB, the TC on the RME ADI DAC and the OG on the A90.

1632039892640.png

The differences are far less than what I would recover from memory. But there are some.

I think the graph shows the differences between the OG and the TC quite good:

1. Upper mid dip on the OG
The graph shows quite a big dip in the upper mids. I would say it is much much less hearable, but occasionally on some tracks it leads to some veilness. You can only hear it when you really do a side by side comparison and focus on it. You would not be able to hear it by just listening on the OG. And it is really very subtle. E.g. "World Can Wait - Sam Feldt, Robert Falcon" And additionally it makes the OG sound a bit off generally, but really not much. Surprisingly Vocals sounded very much the same. I thought there was some more difference.

2. Treble elevation
The graph also showed some treble elevation on the OG. I would say this is more noticable than the upper mid dip. I could hear this on more tracks E.g. "Dream a little Dream - Helen Schneider" and "World Can Wait - Sam Feldt, Robert Falcon" sounded brighter, I would not say sharp but gets quite to the edge. It also leads to some different representation of the music, e.g . "Hula Hoop - Omi" first ten seconds sound on the TC "faster" as it does not reproduce the treble reverb of the tones as much as the OG does.

Generally speaking, if you don't focus on finding differences in details, the TC sounds a bit fuller, more neutral and more correct. But we are talking about 5-10% difference here. I personally would definitely prefer the TC over the OG. It's just the more mature product. But I think you could also EQ the OG to sound like the TC maybe. Hope this helps a bit.

Generally you can not do anything wrong with buying one of these beasts :smile:

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #17,685 of 22,434
At the current price for TC I’d much rather get the OG and that amazing bass.
Bass is better on the TC’s. Not only is just as big, it’s much better textured and more defined than the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back