The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #16,846 of 22,482
based upon my experience where my formula s/powerman barely get warm at all and are both on 24/7 I would definitely look into it if it is running very hot..no question the combo punches well above its 6w rating
I emailed Abyss about this, will see what they say. I know in the Formula S video they said it runs warm and it's temperature is similar to my previous amp, the Flux FA-12 which had some vents but no heatsinks. It hasn't yet reached the temperature of my old version 1 Schiit Lyr so I'm not so worried just want to make sure all is well with it

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #16,847 of 22,482
based upon my experience where my formula s/powerman barely get warm at all and are both on 24/7 I would definitely look into it if it is running very hot..no question the combo punches well above its 6w rating
It sure does. The Powerman really improves the sound tremendously.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #16,848 of 22,482
I emailed Abyss about this, will see what they say. I know in the Formula S video they said it runs warm and it's temperature is similar to my previous amp, the Flux FA-12 which had some vents but no heatsinks. It hasn't yet reached the temperature of my old version 1 Schiit Lyr so I'm not so worried just want to make sure all is well with it

My powerman gets very warm. I thought this was completely normal as Class A gets very hot.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #16,849 of 22,482
My powerman gets very warm. I thought this was completely normal as Class A gets very hot.
Good to know, I'm used to class A warmth too just a bit cautious after my last amp had a transformer failure. This temperature difference could just be a difference between revisions of the Formula S / Powerman. Also it seems the heat on my unit is coming from the amp modules not the transformer which makes sense as the amp module heatsinks are right under the part of the Formula S that gets warm, the rest is relatively cool.

Thanks for the input on everyone's experience with the amp and if you think I should move over to the Formula S thread instead I can do that too.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #16,850 of 22,482
The "transducer-first" approach, where you build an entire system in order to maximise your subjective enjoyment of a loudspeaker (or a pair of headphones in this case) you feel it is specially well fit for you is a totally legit way to proceed, I see nothing wrong with it.
A unique kind of gear like the AB-1266 TC can bring to such approach :wink:

I confirm, as a few other AIC-10 owners I have communicated with. Don't expect trasformative changes, but still well worth the relatively small further investment and extra fuss IMHO.

There are a few posts (e.g. 1, 2, 3) about this in the AIC-10 thread, and the consensus is that tube rolling on the Riviera does make a clearly audible difference, thus making room to further 'fine tuning' of this amp to your hp synergy / tastes. Grossly simplyfying, Mullard tubes are the most euphoric / richest, Radiotechnique or Fivre (among other options) are pretty balanced, Telefunken ECC802S are the clearest / most transparent.

Apart from those with unlimited budget, I would recommend the SC cable to people that are committed to the AB-1266 in the long term and prefer to further invest on them instead of (or prior to) looking for a complimentary hp. A SC cable can remove the need for a Susvara to complement the TC for some people, and in this sense it could even be seen as a money saver :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

In my own experience, starting from a baseline-neutral sound like say the DAVE direct output or the Simaudio Moon 600i, the AIC-10+tube had a definite more audible impact on the overall sound signature than the SC cable.
Can you recommend an adapter to get for the Riviera speaker taps? Thinking SC, but would like to get opinions.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #16,851 of 22,482
Can you recommend an adapter to get for the Riviera speaker taps? Thinking SC, but would like to get opinions.
JPS won’t make one for you.

They officially don’t recommend running headphones with speaker taps.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #16,853 of 22,482

Ideally it would be a custom SC cable running straight from the HP mini xlr and terminated with banana or spades directly manufactured by JPS - i.e. no adapter at all .. but that is not available unfortunately.

On the other hand, I have tried a few adapters, including Forza Audio Works (pure copper), my current ones (based on Acrolink 7N copper, silver plated conductors) from Invictus Cables (an Italian artisan) and a DHC from a friend (I believe it was pure silver), and I honestly could not tell the difference. So my suggestion is to get a decent one made custom from a trusted manufacturer in your area.

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #16,854 of 22,482
show me....I have been using speaker amps with headphones for 40 years.i have never 'blown' my headphones.
cary 805 with akg1000
threshold- with he-6
VAC 70/70 with lcd 4

presently using lcd4 with airtight atm 300..amazing sound
That combintion must be really outstanding! I do feel, that the overall quality of the headphone systems are limited because of the electronics used. Airtight makes amazing amps.

Jul 18, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #16,855 of 22,482
Ideally it would be a custom SC cable running straight from the HP mini xlr and terminated with banana or spades directly manufactured by JPS - i.e. no adapter at all .. but that is not available unfortunately.
You can get this work commissioned by DHC, @onlychild had his done like this with Susvara + Riviera + Prion4

Jul 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #16,856 of 22,482
It should not matter, since the Powerman is a Power Supply and not an amplifier. The Class A (and so on) classification does not apply to it. It might matter that it will be continuously providing current to the Formula S amplifier, since it is Class A. But still, note this: The heat emanating from the power supply is the power supply's internal energy loss. So the question is if it loses more energy internally than it needs to. That is, it's a matter of its efficiency. This said, I do not believe good PSU == efficient PSU in the audio world. An efficient PSU might achieve its efficiency at the cost of being noisier.

I hope this random reply was of some kind of help.

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #16,857 of 22,482
It should not matter, since the Powerman is a Power Supply and not an amplifier. The Class A (and so on) classification does not apply to it. It might matter that it will be continuously providing current to the Formula S amplifier, since it is Class A. But still, note this: The heat emanating from the power supply is the power supply's internal energy loss. So the question is if it loses more energy internally than it needs to. That is, it's a matter of its efficiency. This said, I do not believe good PSU == efficient PSU in the audio world. An efficient PSU might achieve its efficiency at the cost of being noisier.

I hope this random reply was of some kind of help.

With Class A the output transistors run with constant bias. This mean that they run at full effect, whether there's an input signal or not. This means that the PSU also has to run on full effect all the time, which in turn will genererat a lot of heat as 80% of their power will be turned into heat.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #16,859 of 22,482
Since I already use Norne Audio headphone cables I got Norne Audio speaker taps as well.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #16,860 of 22,482
JPS won’t make one for you.

They officially don’t recommend running headphones with speaker taps.
This is not true...JPS will make one for you... @ken6217 had one made. SC cable... Think he paid $500.

IMG_20210718_182859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back