The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #16,306 of 22,500
Not really, it’s south from Singapore (where you seem to be located). I’ll stop the discussion at this point, but the cold war is over (or it’s axis moved), and the world is a bit different from the 60s classification of first (western), east (second) and third (all the rest) world. That’s at least what I teach my students. Back to headphones, lol.
Yeah, I've been in Singapore for work for a couple of years now, but I'm from the Philippines. It's really not a big deal for many of us and we refer to our country as a Third World country. It's news to me that other people find it offensive. A cursory google search of the word "third world", under the news tab, results in articles from countless reputable sources using the term as normal. It is obviously a sensitive subject to other groups of people and as s a Third World national, I find the difference in perspective to be fascinating.

I agree though -- back to headphones.

I did a Youtube search on "3D" music and found Bohemian Rhapsody in 3D which blew me away. I listened to it on my couch with an Abyss TC driven by an Emotiva A-100 (jumpers installed). I think the easiest way to build an inexpensive secondary listening station for the the TC and Susvara (such as the living room for Netflix and PS5) is this inexpensive amp. Hassle-free, no adapters needed. Anyone have recommendations on some good, immersive 3D music?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #16,307 of 22,500
Yeah, I've been in Singapore for work for a couple of years now, but I'm from the Philippines. It's really not a big deal for many of us and we refer to our country as a Third World country. It's news to me that other people find it offensive. A cursory google search of the word "third world", under the news tab, results in articles from countless reputable sources using the term as normal. It is obviously a sensitive subject to other groups of people and as s a Third World national, I find the difference in perspective to be fascinating.

I agree though -- back to headphones.

I did a Youtube search on "3D" music and found Bohemian Rhapsody in 3D which blew me away. I listened to it on my couch with an Abyss TC driven by an Emotiva A-100 (jumpers installed). I think the easiest way to build an inexpensive secondary listening station for the the TC and Susvara (such as the living room for Netflix and PS5) is this inexpensive amp. Hassle-free, no adapters needed. Anyone have recommendations on some good, immersive 3D music?
I have some remarks but yeah... back to music: Kraftwerk produced all of their music in a 3D headphone edition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_The_Catalogue

It is probably one of the best 3D recordings, technically.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #16,308 of 22,500
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #16,309 of 22,500
Is this the mix equivalent of binaurally recorded music, or is it something else? I find the concept fascinating, the way you describe it.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #16,310 of 22,500
Heads up, those of you with Raal SR1a’s may want to try the convolution filters from Accurate Sound. They add more visceral musical impact, especially bass, to the sound and make the SR1a’s more well rounded and enjoyable in my opinion.

I also reached out to the creator of the filters and put him in touch with the folks from Abyss. Hoping we can get some 1266 filters sometime soon!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #16,311 of 22,500
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_The_Catalogue

It is probably one of the best 3D recordings, technically.
Thanks, I enjoyed this!

I would also like to share that I've been looking to inject the tube sound, or enter cost-effectively into the tube rabbit hole. I decided a tube preamp is the way to go because they're much less expensive than powerful headphone tube amps and using tube speaker amps has some added complexity for my noob skillset. I considered a Schiit Freya+ but I couldn't find one locally. I found and bought a 2-months used Musical Paradise MP-701 MK2 for a very good deal. Not a lot of reviews, but I've yet to find someone who disliked it. Has anyone tried this? It's really good with the TC! It improved air, separation, bass and soundstage to my music. It's pretty bulky though; it's bigger than my dac and amp combined lol.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #16,312 of 22,500

Well this turned out to be an awesome album. The bass on the abyss is amazing with some of the songs here. Check out the fourth song, Mir. Thunderous bass and sub-bass. Insane! Am totally enjoying this album. Some of the rhythms are just so mesmerising.
Phenomenal album and bass. I'm using it to test my SR1a convo filters. Very trance-y. Imaging and staging is pretty good as well. Thanks, Roasty...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #16,314 of 22,500
Hi, Guys! May be someone has already listened Abyss with Silver-fi cables? I've decided to buy one blindly but some info would be valuable. Thanks in advance!
I have just ordered Lavricables today, so please report on your Silver-fi and I will on Lavricables

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #16,315 of 22,500
I have just ordered Lavricables today, so please report on your Silver-fi and I will on Lavricables
Which lavricable did you buy?

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #16,317 of 22,500
Silver is excellent for keeping vampires and electrical resistance away from your music. I use silver from Toxic for my IEMs. Works well and looks cool.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #16,318 of 22,500
Just got notice, my 1266 TC’s are on their way.Week 15, better late than never. Should have them Friday. Excited to be able to participate a little more meaningfully to this thread. I’ll share once they arrive.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #16,319 of 22,500
Just got notice, my 1266 TC’s are on their way.Week 15, better late than never. Should have them Friday. Excited to be able to participate a little more meaningfully to this thread. I’ll share once they arrive.
Great news indeed. As my friends would say: Post a picture with them on your head, or it didn't happen! :relaxed:

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #16,320 of 22,500
Congrats. Finally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back