The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #15,826 of 22,511
The mids on TC are meh. You can not do anything. No amp will brings the mids to front no sc. That's why I sold my TC and now have a Susvara which is also better in many other aspects especially bass quality and mids to die for.
Sure I have a Niimbus US4 so you need a really ready good amp to let Susvara shine.
Well I guess you could never have it all the TC would be perfect i guess, if it has the mids of the susvara. I really like the Susvara though with my current setup, really got this nice sweet mids with the Primaluna using el34.
I see you also have a Utopia which has great mids a lot better then the TC in this aspect.
True that, Utopia on the other hand lacks the soundstage. TC still for the slam and details though.
Beautiful setup @3ggerhappy !

I had your first gripe as well (sadly my increasing baldness prevents your second one :older_man: ), and the cure was: a) get the Superconductor cable and b) find a beatiful and rare NOS Mullard tube from their golden age.

Will not give you Susvara-like mids, but a decise increase of body and density of tone in the midrange, along with some nice forwardness of vocals which will bring more emotional attachment to (especially female) sang content.
Thanks!, I'll see what I can do with the options :beerchug:. a) would be much easier to do but a pricey proposition. b) also pricey and would be much harder to do haha.

May 8, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #15,827 of 22,511
I did find the SC cable improved the mids. The mids being the one area I thought could be improved. Also the TC sounds fantastic on the WA33. I find tubes also helped the mids on the TC. Of course tubes vary so finding your cup of tea may take time.

May 8, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #15,829 of 22,511
May 8, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #15,831 of 22,511
And... one more thing. :relaxed: For my ongoing front-end optimization of my setup. It shall be another very fun weekend.:L3000:
I’m super interested to hear your thoughts on this…

May 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #15,832 of 22,511
The mids on TC are meh. You can not do anything.
That's the most direct and refreshing feedback I've seen in a long time in this thread 🙂 I've had my TCs for a couple of months and have been agonizing about this exact same sentiment. In fact I find the music lacking emotion to such a degree that I barely want to listen to them. I much prefer my Stellia and Empyrean for instance.

But then, as someone who would rather listen to hammer drills and babies crying than metal music maybe the Abyss are just wrong for me. Seems to be quite the metal crowd on here and they seem reeealllly happy so.. maybe the 1266s aren't necessarily the all-rounders I thought they were.

May 8, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #15,833 of 22,511
That's the most direct and refreshing feedback I've seen in a long time in this thread 🙂 I've had my TCs for a couple of months and have been agonizing about this exact same sentiment. In fact I find the music lacking emotion to such a degree that I barely want to listen to them. I much prefer my Stellia and Empyrean for instance.

But then, as someone who would rather listen to hammer drills and babies crying than metal music maybe the Abyss are just wrong for me. Seems to be quite the metal crowd on here and they seem reeealllly happy so.. maybe the 1266s aren't necessarily the all-rounders I thought they were.

I was quite disappointed with the TC initially. I didn't like the mids at all.

Some of the folks here are also on the Susvara thread, where I left impressions on the TC. They will know well my reactions to the TC, lol. Generated quite a debate on that thread because folks were surprised I didn't like the TC.

I brought in the TC for audition number 3. I am personally liking them the third time around.

unnamed.jpg

But yes, the TC's play particularly well with metal, electronic, and other bass-oriented genres/tracks.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #15,834 of 22,511
Such humor is dangerous, @paradoxper.

Also, you have to consider the fact that the Sus is probably an older/experienced gentleman.

The TC is the ruffian frat boy, lol.
Be it an young boy or older gentleman, I hope they enjoy whatever are their sexual proclivities. :grin:

May 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #15,836 of 22,511
Been an Abyss owner for about a month and a half now, was happy with the overall presentation, but kind of find the mids to be a little dry(even with an el 34 tube setup). What would you guys suggest how to improve the mids? Also a susvara owner and I kind of miss the sweetness with the abyss. Would like to ask also for wa 33 owners, how do you find the sound with the abyss, does it gave it more emotion?

IMG_0901.jpeg

Another gripe also, as a female user not sure if its just me, but some stray hair always get inside the cups and create scratching noise. are the driver's safe inside hahah?
Love the DCS bartok. Wish I could afford one lol

May 8, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #15,837 of 22,511
So many people here on Head-Fi who have HTT2 and AB-1266 also have HMS, so got myself a loaner for a week to see what is all the fuss about :)

5C01264A-879D-4718-B919-A5C0941293B5.JPG
Did you decide if you prefer SE or XLR for TT2?

May 8, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #15,838 of 22,511
Did you decide if you prefer SE or XLR for TT2?
Not yet confident to answer this to be honest, as I have not clocked enough hours on SE yet. This being said, the difference is not going to be night and day (for my ears, not trying to discount other people's experiences), as the initial testing I have done was very close, with a bit of "hmm, I think it lacks a bit of dynamics, but not by much". Others have said it before, but volume matching is very important, without it XLR wins every time (since it is louder on the same setting). But not going to lie, I am having issues fighting the bias towards "do I have enough headroom" and it is upsetting to me that I do not have a second pair of brain / ear circuit in my head with which I could do a null test, haha. Would I recommend others to get the adapter? Yes and no, for those who like experimenting yes, for those who read between the lines "he needs to write a novel to justify that he hears something, but even then is not sure" no. But, if you already have an adapter, then I guess there is no harm in using XLR. What is good though is that I no longer wish for other amplifiers, with an argument "HTT2 does not have enough power". If I ever try a different amp, it will be in effort to find a different sound signature, that could potentially please my ears more, but it's not going to be for power output (or lack thereof).

May 8, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #15,839 of 22,511
Been an Abyss owner for about a month and a half now, was happy with the overall presentation, but kind of find the mids to be a little dry(even with an el 34 tube setup). What would you guys suggest how to improve the mids? Also a susvara owner and I kind of miss the sweetness with the abyss. Would like to ask also for wa 33 owners, how do you find the sound with the abyss, does it gave it more emotion?
I find the superconductor improves the mids...I had it, sold it and then bought it back. I have the WA33...I am not sure how much it improves the mids, but the SC cable definitely does.

May 8, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #15,840 of 22,511
Another heads up, I have a new 6 ft SC cable in the classifieds for a good price. Feel free to PM with offers. No harm in that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back