The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #14,146 of 22,446
Yes I don't have the yawn effect

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #14,147 of 22,446
You guys who listen to a composer type music will go for Susvara. I haven't hit that age to like Susvara. I was a clubber in my youth and type of music hasn't left me yet. Industrial, edm, everything else gets a listen for a bit.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #14,148 of 22,446
Here's reason why Susvara doesn't do it for me.

Bassrush

SCIENCE SAYS: BASS MUSIC MAKES LISTENERS FEEL MORE POWERFUL​

February 17, 2015 - Katie Bain

Science Says: Bass Music Makes Listeners Feel More Powerful
Science Says: Bass Music Makes Listeners Feel More Powerful
Science has just confirmed what anyone who has ever raged at a Skrillex show has always known in their hearts: Bass music makes you feel powerful.
A study published yesterday in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science has determined that bass-heavy music inspired the greatest sense of power in test subjects who were exposed to various sounds.
The first phase of the study took 31 genre-spanning songs and identified how powerful each track made subjects feel, based on a seven-point scale. Songs were ranked from most to least powerful.
The study then looked to see if music highly correlated to power-related thinking and behavior. And guess what? It did! Researchers found that music predetermined to be powerful generated three common consequences of power: abstract thinking (i.e., an ability to see the big picture), along with a sense of perceived control in various scenarios, and the ability to make the first move in competitive situations. These are all characteristics of alpha types, who are recognized as ranking the highest in social hierarchies.
The bass dropped in the next part of the experiment, as researchers played subjects a track with either a light or heavy bass element. “We chose to vary bass specifically,” the study states, “because prior research suggests a link between bass and power. In particular, powerful people are more likely to speak with a deep, bass voice, and a bass voice is often associated with higher perceived power.”
After listening, participants rated how powerful, dominant and determined they felt, using a seven-point scale, with participants who listened to the bassier music reporting greater feelings of power. Thus, researchers concluded, “music with more bass increased participants’ sense of power.” These findings also support the “emerging notion that music can induce various psychological experiences other than emotions.”
Basically, all of this is why you feel more able to conquer the world when listening to Knife Party than you do while listening to, say, Disclosure.
For added food for thought, the study also found that humans begin processing music while still in the womb, and that most people listen to music recreationally before they begin watching television or reading.
In other news related to your brain on bass, a study last month determined that the brain has a natural affinity for and understanding of bass music, as it picks up on the rhythms of lower, bassier music faster than it does high-pitched noises.
This article originally appeared on Insomniac.com.

Previous ArticleEscence Audio Presents P0gman Escential MixNext ArticleKid Smpl’s ‘Precinct’ EP On Symbols

TAGS:​

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:​

UPCOMING SHOWS​

1. 02.27.21Disciple: Park ‘N Rave
VIEW MORE

TRENDING ARTICLES​

1. Liquid Stranger Gets the Psychedelic Remix Treatment

2. Trampa Luvs You

3. Killbox Drops the Hammer on ‘Cypher Pattern’

4. UBUR Drops a “Bulletproof” DNB Stunner on NSD

5. Every Artist on Droptek’s ‘Symbiosis Remixed’ Reviews their Own Track

6. Volt & DialedIN – Check This [Bassrush Premiere]
NEWSLETTER

SUBSCRIBE
By continuing past this page, you agree to our Terms of Use.

© 2021 Insomniac Holdings, LLC. All rights reserved.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #14,149 of 22,446
When I competed in contact Karate I always had bass music.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #14,150 of 22,446
Has anyone heard a headphone they think actually competes with Abyss TC in terms of speed, resolution, soundstage, imaging, microdetail and superb bass? Does anything even get close in the world?
I love my abyss TC but on everything other than bass the sr1a is as good or better...that said the sub bass of the abyss makes for a completely different listening experience

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #14,151 of 22,446
we actually react more strongly to additional bass than other frequencies. we are attracted to it.

Imo this is arguably predicted by the Fletcher-Munsen curves. Notice how the curves get closer together south of 100 Hz. So a 5 dB change at 30-40 Hz can be PERCEPTUALLY comparable to a 10 dB change at 1 kHz, at least at normal listening levels. The implication is that a LITTLE BIT of improvement in the bass region goes a LONG WAYS, perceptually... whether that improvement is one which adds weight or one which increases smoothness (which correlates with the subjective impression of "speed" in the bass region) or both.

so gear with a little more bass typically gets our preference.

Equal-Loudness-Contours.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #14,152 of 22,446
From a purely sonic standpoint, the main advantage I found on the Susvara over the TC is their midrange presentation. Vocals, strings and piano, for example, are significantly better - both more pleasingly and more accurately - reproduced on the Susvara especially if focusing on timbre / tonality
Descriptions like these are what makes me seriously question my choice of 1266s. Curses for not being able to try before buying anything where I live!

I wanna hear what you guys hear! 😛 Besides the Superconductor cable which makes every rational molecule in my being scream in pain, what are my other options? Tubes I guess?

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #14,153 of 22,446
Descriptions like these are what makes me seriously question my choice of 1266s. Curses for not being able to try before buying anything where I live!

I wanna hear what you guys hear! 😛 Besides the Superconductor cable which makes every rational molecule in my being scream in pain, what are my other options? Tubes I guess?
Susvara is it's king in those areas. Every group is a tribe of their own beliefs. If everyone chose the same thing we wouldn't be human. Being it's impossible to audition headphones from every brand you just have to jump. For me 1266 TC with WA33 Elite and Manhattan 2 is my favorite. I can't give up the HeadTrip 2 and Cipher as it sounds amazing to me.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #14,154 of 22,446

Susvara is it's king in those areas. Every group is a tribe of their own beliefs. If everyone chose the same thing we wouldn't be human. Being it's impossible to audition headphones from every brand you just have to jump. For me 1266 TC with WA33 Elite and Manhattan 2 is my favorite. I can't give up the HeadTrip 2 and Cipher as it sounds amazing to me.
Bondam, thanks for the follow-up RE the Susvara. I enjoy the 1266 TCs, but am more of a mid-range person and have been contemplating the Susvaras lately. Reading your post using "yawn" to describe them had me second guessing. I also have a Headtrip II and am loving it. I am feeding it with a Hugo2 so I still need to figure out the right DAC solution for me. So much to listen to and so many decisions to make. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #14,155 of 22,446
Bondam, thanks for the follow-up RE the Susvara. I enjoy the 1266 TCs, but am more of a mid-range person and have been contemplating the Susvaras lately. Reading your post using "yawn" to describe them had me second guessing. I also have a Headtrip II and am loving it. I am feeding it with a Hugo2 so I still need to figure out the right DAC solution for me. So much to listen to and so many decisions to make. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.
No I don't mean they sound bad. Bass has always been a strong part of my life. I move to the best. If you saw me in a club I was one of the battlers on the dance floor. Dancing has always been how I move. Martial Arts was no different. I find the Susvara for those listening to acoustic music. If you are going to get Susvara get it from headphone s.com with their 365 day return policy. Find a T+A dealer with Solitaire P. If I put Solitaire P in position it would be middle of the 1266 and Susvara.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #14,156 of 22,446
No I don't mean they sound bad. Bass has always been a strong part of my life. I move to the best. If you saw me in a club I was one of the battlers on the dance floor. Dancing has always been how I move. Martial Arts was no different. I find the Susvara for those listening to acoustic music. If you are going to get Susvara get it from headphone s.com with their 365 day return policy. Find a T+A dealer with Solitaire P. If I put Solitaire P in position it would be middle of the 1266 and Susvara.
Understood. Good advice on the return policy.

Just off of the phone with Jeff regarding a couple of upgrades. I'm trying decide how to sequence an upgrade from a Hugo2 to a Cipher or a new pair of cans. I'm currently using the Headtrip II / Hugo2 as a desktop solution, so space turns into an issues since the Cipher is more than a little larger than the Hugo2.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #14,157 of 22,446

Did you try Susvara?

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #14,158 of 22,446
I love my abyss TC but on everything other than bass the sr1a is as good or better...that said the sub bass of the abyss makes for a completely different listening experience

Impressive... gonna try sr1a next week.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #14,159 of 22,446
I had the SR1A but ultimately sold them. For acoustic music or vocals they were unbeatable. However that makes up a very small portion of what I listen too. Really comes down to what type of music you listen too the most. Or if you are willing to have many different cans for different types of music. They are the best at what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back