The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #14,116 of 22,461
You should really consult with a dealer considering you have money, ambition, and particular conditions.
I appreciate the input and will likely do so. My main concern is a dealer likely wouldn't fully understand what I'm really looking for and I would likely suck at trying to explain it. They would probably steer me towards something that might work versus what Ciggavelli gave me that I absolutely know will work. I will absolutely consult a dealer for alternatives and options though. Options are always a great thing to have, especially at these price points. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #14,117 of 22,461
@littlej0e

Part of the fun is trying out different stuff and trial and error, and finding out what suits you. I wish I could put together @Ciggavelli's suggestions but perhaps in the next lifetime haha that would truly be an amazing setup!

When you get all the stuff put together, let us know how you think about it!

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #14,118 of 22,461
@littlej0e

Part of the fun is trying out different stuff and trial and error, and finding out what suits you. I wish I could put together @Ciggavelli's suggestions but perhaps in the next lifetime haha that would truly be an amazing setup!

I agree with Roasty, listening to different components is a wonderful way to figure out what you most enjoy. I was happy listening to a number of different products at a local retailer. In some cases the sonic differences were significant. In some cases they were more subtle. They appreciated the business and I appreciated the chance to listen to several headphone/amp/dac combinations back to back. I am pretty new to this hobby and this was a great approach early on.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #14,119 of 22,461
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG

I am working on an XL extra-padded breathable headband. Hopefully, it works :)

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #14,120 of 22,461
I agree with Roasty, listening to different components is a wonderful way to figure out what you most enjoy. I was happy listening to a number of different products at a local retailer. In some cases the sonic differences were significant. In some cases they were more subtle. They appreciated the business and I appreciated the chance to listen to several headphone/amp/dac combinations back to back. I am pretty new to this hobby and this was a great approach early on.
Fundamentally, I agree with both of you. The thing is, Ciggavelli knows exactly what I am looking for, why I am looking for it, and the absolute best gear to achieve it. I cannot overstate how valuable his/her first-hand experience and information is, especially for someone looking for the ultimate experience with little-to-no clue how to get there. I get that the journey is part of the fun and I would certainly enjoy myself along the way, but my use case is a bit different. The unbridled joy (see ridiculous audiogasms) I'll get from the end result will far outweigh any joy I could possibly get from the journey of getting there. This will be a purpose-built synesthesia system to enjoy experiences that only a handful of people could understand. Jumping straight to end-game in a hobby is almost never ideal, but given my situation I think it is absolutely the right choice. Everybody would obviously enjoy an end-game system, but not like someone with synesthesia can...

That said, I'm still going to take your advice! I'm absolutely going to have fun piecing this "synesthesia kit" together and I will definitely enjoy building it piece by piece, hunting for deals, waiting for used gear to show up on Head-fi, Reddit, and headphones.com, etc. The only difference is I have a clear and precise direction of where I'm going and why I am going there.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #14,121 of 22,461
@littlej0e

Will do! This is gonna be FUN!

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #14,122 of 22,461
  • Abyss 1266 Phi TC w/superconductor (already purchased the "deluxe" version w/SC cable.

Was this the DELUXE or the COMPLETE set now? The Deluxe doesn't include the Superconductor cables

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #14,124 of 22,461
Correct. I screwed that up. I ordered the COMPLETE set that included the superconductor cables. Sorry for the confusion!
That's one item off the checklist. :)

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #14,127 of 22,461
Fundamentally, I agree with both of you. The thing is, Ciggavelli knows exactly what I am looking for, why I am looking for it, and the absolute best gear to achieve it. I cannot overstate how valuable his/her first-hand experience and information is, especially for someone looking for the ultimate experience with little-to-no clue how to get there. I get that the journey is part of the fun and I would certainly enjoy myself along the way, but my use case is a bit different. The unbridled joy (see ridiculous audiogasms) I'll get from the end result will far outweigh any joy I could possibly get from the journey of getting there. This will be a purpose-built synesthesia system to enjoy experiences that only a handful of people could understand. Jumping straight to end-game in a hobby is almost never ideal, but given my situation I think it is absolutely the right choice. Everybody would obviously enjoy an end-game system, but not like someone with synesthesia can...

That said, I'm still going to take your advice! I'm absolutely going to have fun piecing this "synesthesia kit" together and I will definitely enjoy building it piece by piece, hunting for deals, waiting for used gear to show up on Head-fi, Reddit, and headphones.com, etc. The only difference is I have a clear and precise direction of where I'm going and why I am going there.

What’s your definition of the best equipment? The most expensive or what sounds best to YOU? They are not always one in the same?

You can have two $30,000 amps, both excellent amps, but totally different sound signatures. Obviously only one you are going to like.

Make sure you listen before you buy, or the hobby will be even more expensive.

Also note that the law of diminishing returns set in pretty early.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #14,128 of 22,461
absolutely true and do not let people either talk you into things or dissuade you from things you like...

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #14,129 of 22,461
absolutely true and do not let people either talk you into things or dissuade you from things you like...

I was just looking at your signature.. Just admiring your gear. Since we're on the topic of that, can you share what you're using for conditioner/power block (if any), pc and interconnects? I can't recall reading about them in your setup.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #14,130 of 22,461
I have got an ifi power block... I got power cables form the abyss people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back