The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #13,711 of 22,596
Thinking of getting the 1266 so been looking at some reviews. I mainly want soundstage and bass, I am a massive basshead. Most reviews I've read & watched seems to say they are good for those then I just saw this one that says the Arya and Susvara has bigger soundstage than the 1266. His impressions of the bass also didn't align with what most other reviews I read are saying. This particular review seems to be an anomaly and not very accurate?

I think most here would disagree with that strongly. There is no way the Arya (or Susvara) have a bigger stage than 1266, I'm speaking from personal experience. I think 1266 has the biggest stage of all the phones I've heard (see my signature). Bass wise, it's arguable - I think the Abyss bass is more fun and impactful, but the Susvara might edge it in terms of accuracy. Arya...I didn't find to be anything special. It was too shouty and bright for me so I didn't even consider how the bass sounded. I knew right away it was going to be a problem for me.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #13,712 of 22,596
Anyone tried the artic cables for the abyss? Looking at solutions to tame the treble... I'm half there by switching from the curious cable to the lush 2 cable. Not just need to rid of this stock jds cable. I hear the copper cables have a usual character of smoothing out treble and overall peaks.
Who else makes bad ass copper based cables with latest tech?

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #13,713 of 22,596
I think most here would disagree with that strongly. There is no way the Arya (or Susvara) have a bigger stage than 1266, I'm speaking from personal experience. I think 1266 has the biggest stage of all the phones I've heard (see my signature). Bass wise, it's arguable - I think the Abyss bass is more fun and impactful, but the Susvara might edge it in terms of accuracy. Arya...I didn't find to be anything special. It was too shouty and bright for me so I didn't even consider how the bass sounded. I knew right away it was going to be a problem for me.

Okay, I was thinking the same. Susvara's soundstage is good but like not super wide or anything. You find soundstage better than 800S? More impactful and fun bass would be good, I find the Susvara's bass lacking dynamic slam and impact unless I EQ it like crazy.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #13,714 of 22,596
Anyone tried the artic cables for the abyss? Looking at solutions to tame the treble... I'm half there by switching from the curious cable to the lush 2 cable. Not just need to rid of this stock jds cable. I hear the copper cables have a usual character of smoothing out treble and overall peaks.
Who else makes bad ass copper based cables with latest tech?
Norne Audio has a new Drausk 17.7 gauge copper Litz cable that is getting great reviews. Check out the Norne Audio forum.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #13,715 of 22,596
I have the Arya and the 1266TC and the 1266 definitely has more bass (deeper and more impact). Even my Diana V2 has more bass than the Arya. That being said I like the Arya alot. The soundstage is VERY good.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #13,716 of 22,596
I just finished packing up my abyss and the formula s stack. I sold them to fund the pIr of Octave MRE 220 mono blocks I bought for my speaker system. As good as the abyss is I just find myself enjoying the speakers more often.
I am sorry, I thought you still had it. Yes, I agree, 2-Channel at the top level is still the best. And Octave makes some nice stuff. I heard a pair a number of years ago driving Magico Q3’s. Enjoy!

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #13,717 of 22,596
Thinking of getting the 1266 so been looking at some reviews. I mainly want soundstage and bass, I am a massive basshead. Most reviews I've read & watched seems to say they are good for those then I just saw this one that says the Arya and Susvara has bigger soundstage than the 1266. His impressions of the bass also didn't align with what most other reviews I read are saying. This particular review seems to be an anomaly and not very accurate?

Indeed, I find myself often disagreeing with this reviewer. Try to audition the 1266. It's crazy good, I would be very surprised if you were disappointed. But it happens... There was someone here recently who did not like it and sold it again very quickly. But that is very rare I think.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #13,718 of 22,596
Okay, which is what Abyss recommends. Is it possible to have the Bartok feed the Formula S and also be connected to the preamp of my 2-channel system? Double duty, so one Dac for both? Tks.

Yes, you get a set of RCA and XLR outs, so you’d need to pick the appropriate Formula S version.

The Bartok can drive the 1266 effectively though - it’s a lovely pairing, in my subjective opinion.

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #13,719 of 22,596
I recently purchased a tc and formula s + powerman. Naturally, I was thinking of finishing the trifecta with a sagra dac, but was wondering if anyone had other recommendations in the same price range. Until I do upgrade dacs, I will be using the soekris 1541, so feel free to comment on that pairing as well. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #13,720 of 22,596
An orchestral tour-de-force with the Abyss

One my most deeply rooted musical passions are large orchestral compositions, because I feel that they provide a complete, holistic experience, where the mind, the soul and the body are involved at the highest and more direct, visceral level.

I still use to attend live concerts (pandemics allowing), although much less than in my younger age alas, and in this sense going back to a hifi system is always a humbling experience to some extent, and one would argue that this is even more the case with headphones, which is of course true, but ...

There are some very special recordings that – thanks to the combination of the music itself, inspired musicians, and especially talented recording engineers – are able to capture the sense of the event, its scale, its venue in such a magical way that makes it possible to travel time and space so to speak, and therefore should be treasured as the most precious jewels.

chabrier.jpg

reiner.jpg

Mercury Living Presence and RCA Victor Living Stereo series, while dating several decades back and not as silent and polished as modern audiophile recordings, do provide that feeling of liveliness and ... presence to the music that grabs me in a very visceral, immediate way. Soundstage is usually very wide and deep, and the unfiltered background / ambient noise from the venue actually provides an added value to the realism of the experience.

The AB-1266 reproduces the scale of these recordings and their rawness in a surprisingly convincing way, for a headphone, like no other system I have tried.

mahler.jpg

The Mahler symphonies series with Vänskä / Minnesota for BIS (as the one with Fischer for Channel Classics) are among the most transparent, tonally rich large orchestral recent recording cycles.

Here, the impressive dynamics of the recording is made even more challenging by the complex, massed passages where all the orchestra (and the chorus!) play together, which is difficult for a hifi system to render without collapsing into a confused, strained sound. The Abyss – of course supported by the DAVE and the AIC-10 – follows these relentless dynamics swings with ease, keeping a seemingly effortless readability to the music and a volume of air around the music which lets you fully release and surrender to the tsunami of sounds.

copland.jpg

mephisto.jpg

But, if you really want an adrenalin overdose, you can always rely on the outstanding Reference Recordings series with Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra. These are transparent, huge sounding, crazy imaging, bass cannons recordings, with little to no compression, where the AB-1266 conveys the dynamics slam, the physical impact of the deepest bass drum octaves and the shock waves of the tympani in a fashion that makes your upper body shake, as unreal as it may seem.

An orchestral, emotional tour-de-force indeed!

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #13,721 of 22,596
I've got all those, LOL and had the LP's as well on the Merc's and RCA's back when. I'd suspect our classical collections look very similar. I've been filling out that BIS Mahler series, pre-ordered the 10th. I think #3 and #9 will complete for me. (I've got enough #8's and is my least fav so...). Reference Recordings are generally superior in sound and unlike most classical recordings attempt to provide a more natural presentation of a "seated in the hall" perspective as opposed to "from the podium".

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #13,723 of 22,596
Sometimes the 1266 are very hard to listen to (depends on my mood), now they are too shouty, the bass is fading somewhere ...
I have similar experiences listening to 1266 with my GS-X mini. I generally don't get the experience on my Tryst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back