The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #13,697 of 22,434
Hi All, I'm close to purchasing a 1266 (been very fortunate to have a demo pair on-loan for a while), but should we be expecting an updated model in the near future? The development and release cycle does seem quite active; and new models always come; but was curious about whether anything was planned imminently. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #13,698 of 22,434
Hi All, I'm close to purchasing a 1266 (been very fortunate to have a demo pair on-loan for a while), but should we be expecting an updated model in the near future? The development and release cycle does seem quite active; and new models always come; but was curious about whether anything was planned imminently. Thanks.
No, I believe they stated recently in one of their Youtube videos that they've got their hands full producing what they're currently offering, with the pandemic driving demand. A closed-back headphone is probably the most active R&D effort at the moment.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #13,700 of 22,434
Still undecided on which R2R DAC I want to get. The Sonnet Morpheus, Rockna Wavelight or Holo Audio May KTE as an alternate sound to my TT2/HMS. Help me choose :)
Buy a dCS Bartok and never look back. Hope all is well slim.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #13,701 of 22,434
Today is a sad day. I am packing up my AB-1266 Phi TC to go to it's new owner. The Abyss is incredible and has send me on a wild journey of upgrades in both my headphone and two channels system. With that said after moving and having a space to really enjoy my speakers the Abyss was only used a few times in the past 5 months. I figured that they should go somewhere they will be used on a more regular basis. Plus I need to pay for the new Octave MRE220 Mono Blocks that I just purchased. I still have my Clears and Khans so I am not totally out of head-fi but once you go to a great two channel system it is hard to go back to even the Abyss.

Joe and the family make incredible gear and the fact that to get to the same level with speakers it has cost well above $70k speaks volumes to the value of the 1266.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #13,702 of 22,434
Buy a dCS Bartok and never look back. Hope all is well slim.
Ha, would love one. I guess if I sold a good number of items I could get a dCS Bartok. I’m not quite ready to make that move just yet :). Other than that I’m doing well my friend!

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #13,703 of 22,434
Ha, would love one. I guess if I sold a good number of items I could get a dCS Bartok. I’m not quite ready to make that move just yet :). Other than that I’m doing well my friend!
I sold some of my gear to upgrade the speaker system.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #13,705 of 22,434
Jan 29, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #13,707 of 22,434
Okay, which is what Abyss recommends. Is it possible to have the Bartok feed the Formula S and also be connected to the preamp of my 2-channel system? Double duty, so one Dac for both? Tks.
I did this for a year. I would feed the formula s with the rca and balanced went to my integrated.

I just switched to mono blocks and use the Bartok as the pre. I need both outputs one pai feeds the subs and the other feeds the amps.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #13,708 of 22,434
I did this for a year. I would feed the formula s with the rca and balanced went to my integrated.

I just switched to mono blocks and use the Bartok as the pre. I need both outputs one pai feeds the subs and the other feeds the amps.
Tks. How do you feed the Formula S then if both outputs are used for your stereo?

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #13,709 of 22,434
Tks. How do you feed the Formula S then if both outputs are used for your stereo?

I just finished packing up my abyss and the formula s stack. I sold them to fund the pIr of Octave MRE 220 mono blocks I bought for my speaker system. As good as the abyss is I just find myself enjoying the speakers more often.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #13,710 of 22,434
Thinking of getting the 1266 so been looking at some reviews. I mainly want soundstage and bass, I am a massive basshead. Most reviews I've read & watched seems to say they are good for those then I just saw this one that says the Arya and Susvara has bigger soundstage than the 1266. His impressions of the bass also didn't align with what most other reviews I read are saying. This particular review seems to be an anomaly and not very accurate?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back