The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #10,037 of 22,424
Hope that it could help.

LK3gd.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #10,038 of 22,424
Thanks for that! About aligns with my expectations except for the 5kHz hole, though I may not have noticed it as much since the rest of my system tilts a little toward the brighter side.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #10,039 of 22,424
Again- amazing how similar the dip is to the LCD-4; in the same basic area of the frequency chart.

It could be that the dip is so much more noticeable in the LCD-4 because the bass is so much more powerful and full that the ear perceives the dip as much more severe on the LCD-4...

Just conjecturing...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #10,041 of 22,424
Again- amazing how similar the dip is to the LCD-4; in the same basic area of the frequency chart.
I'm not an expert in EQ by any means (I'm more of a purist and generally don't like using it) but it would be easy enough to try the preset LCD-4 setting in Roon

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #10,042 of 22,424
I believe the Susvra has the most even frequency response of all the reference headphones. -Not sure though...

When I use a parametric equaliser to partially cover up for the Abyss Treble hole- the Abyss sounds much more similar to the Susvara- just a bit fuller and with bit more weight down at the bass.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #10,043 of 22,424

It could be that the dip is so much more noticeable in the LCD-4 because the bass is so much more powerful and full that the ear perceives the dip as much more severe on the LCD-4...

Just conjecturing...

Are you saying that you find the bass much fuller and powerful on the LCD 4 or the Abyss?

I owned the 4z and had the 4, 4z, and 24 all at the same time as the abyss. I found the abyss to have more impact and a much cleaner bass than all of the 4 line up. The abyss do not have the same warm character that the abyss do though.

Jan 19, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #10,044 of 22,424
I'm not an expert in EQ by any means (I'm more of a purist and generally don't like using it) but it would be easy enough to try the preset LCD-4 setting in Roon

I don't usually like to use EQ, either, and I would not call Abyss TC "reticent" in subjective listening, although I AM already pairing Abyss with rather neutral/"revealing" amplification/cabling by instinct.
For those who don't like EQ for various reasons, I can recommend trying Foobar's "Resampler V" plugin and adjust settings to emulate "Short" digital filter, a trick i learned by manipulating Sabre DAC digital filter settings. This setting increases atmospheric "wetness" and sparkle in that treble region, improving staging air and presence quite nicely.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/resamplerv/

ResamplerVshortFilter by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #10,045 of 22,424
Are you saying that you find the bass much fuller and powerful on the LCD 4 or the Abyss?

I owned the 4z and had the 4, 4z, and 24 all at the same time as the abyss. I found the abyss to have more impact and a much cleaner bass than all of the 4 line up. The abyss do not have the same warm character that the abyss do though.

I agree. I have only owned the LCD4, both the 100 ohm and 200 ohm.

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #10,046 of 22,424

I find the LCD-4 bass much heavier and thicker than the Abyss- not necessarily more impactful. Agreed;- the Abyss bass is cleaner. That was my entire point. The heavier, fuller, less clean bass of the LCD-4 may contribute to the perception that the dip in the treble region of the LCD-4 is more severe than the a very similar dip in a very similar place in the treble on the Abyss which is less noticeable- perhaps due to a cleaner- but lighter bass. Again- just conjecture..

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #10,048 of 22,424
Hope that it could help.

This graph shows exactly what I hear with them. As much as i love them, the peak around 1KHz is clearly noticeable and gives the instruments a nasal quality to them (quite evident with grand piano recordings). The 3-5Khz issues do not bother me much, but the 1KHz one does. I have the suspicion that this one has to do with the pads (being leather), too bad Dekoni doesn't look much interested in manufacturing pads for the Abysses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back