The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #9,692 of 22,424
You know how when you smoke weed everyday, you gain a tolerance? (BTW, haven't smoked weed in years, but I used to). Well, when that happens you need to take a "tolerance" break.

I just found the same to be true with headphones and equipment. I couldn't listen to my equipment at all for the last week. I just turned everything on and listened to the TCs, and I'm like, "wow." That "wow" factor goes away if you listen to your equipment every single day. You can get it back with a nice couple of days "tolerance" break. Now, can I force myself to not listen to music on purpose though? That remains to be seen

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #9,693 of 22,424
You know how when you smoke weed everyday, you gain a tolerance? (BTW, haven't smoked weed in years, but I used to). Well, when that happens you need to take a "tolerance" break.

I just found the same to be true with headphones and equipment. I couldn't listen to my equipment at all for the last week. I just turned everything on and listened to the TCs, and I'm like, "wow." That "wow" factor goes away if you listen to your equipment every single day. You can get it back with a nice couple of days "tolerance" break. Now, can I force myself to not listen to music on purpose though? That remains to be seen

I get my tolerance break whenever I go on vacation, which is Pmuch every year.

Been away from my rig 2 weeks now, few more days left to go. I and I know when I get back and out my TV on my head again I'm going to be blown away all over again.

So I experience this once or twice a year :)

It also internally justifies all the money I've spent in audio. When I'm away for a bit, and finally ositen again, I say to myself.... "yes, it's worth it" :D

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #9,695 of 22,424
You’re 100% correct. When I take a few days break the music sounds so much better. I also I find I enjoy listening more rather than analyzing it.

However with weed, you don’t need to spend a lot on equipment. Music even sounds good on an iPod. LOL
ROFL,!!!

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #9,696 of 22,424
You’re 100% correct. When I take a few days break the music sounds so much better. I also I find I enjoy listening more rather than analyzing it.

However with weed, you don’t need to spend a lot on equipment. Music even sounds good on an iPod. LOL
That is very true. My power beats pro that I use for the gym sounds like my old Utopia after some of the Devils lettuce lol

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #9,697 of 22,424

totally true, this is even in effect when listening for an extended time...I find if I pause the music for a few minutes and turn it back in I enjoy it more.....

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #9,698 of 22,424
That "wow" factor goes away if you listen to your equipment every single day. You can get it back with a nice couple of days "tolerance" break.
100%
I don't care how good your system sounds, after listening too much you lose the thrill (like anything else).
This happens to me quite a bit because I listen every night, and I'm finding it's happen too much lately so I definitely need a break.

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #9,699 of 22,424
sometimes I will put on an album and be wowed and overwhelmed as to how good it sounds and then without a break go on to another album and find myself not experiencing the same wow factor....the solution, turn it off and watch some tv or read and come back to it in 30 minutes and presto wow factor again

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #9,700 of 22,424
sometimes I will put on an album and be wowed and overwhelmed as to how good it sounds and then without a break go on to another album and find myself not experiencing the same wow factor....the solution, turn it off and watch some tv or read and come back to it in 30 minutes and presto wow factor again
I'd think that the album that wowed you was much better recorded than the next, no? I shuffle whatever Genre I'm listening to and this allows me to hear big differences between recording no matter their sample rate/format. You have Roon? If so, listen to Brian Simpsons song Castaway (even if it's not for your taste) and you'll be blown away at how well this is recorded compared to many other recordings.

EDIT: I meant Tidal, not Roon.
Castaway is on the album 'Just what you needed'.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #9,701 of 22,424
I'd think that the album that wowed you was much better recorded than the next, no? I shuffle whatever Genre I'm listening to and this allows me to hear big differences between recording no matter their sample rate/format. You have Roon? If so, listen to Brian Simpsons song Castaway (even if it's not for your taste) and you'll be blown away at how well this is recorded compared to many other recordings.

EDIT: I meant Tidal, not Roon.
Castaway is on the album 'Just what you needed'.
Thanks for the recommendation. Found it and listening now except I am using Qobuz version.

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #9,705 of 22,424
I tend to try to listen to the best recorded music I can but sadly a lot of my favorite music is not well recorded. That said in any case when I listen for long periods of time I do need to take breaks to appreciate the music. I also find time of day and mood makes a difference or even how you are feeling etc. it is all so very subjective

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back