The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #7,636 of 22,434
Doesn't the LE only have the low setting (headphone amp section)? The hi setting is the speaker amp section which can also be used for headphones but is in WA5 only?
Not fully on top of the Woo catalogue...

There used to be (WA5 V1) "low", "high" and "spk/k1k" settings where only the last one engages the full 8 watts at 110 ohms. The new V2 version has three Hi/Lo switches, and when you select "Hi" on all three, the full 8 watts can be delivered through (and only through) the XLR jack. This applies to both the LE and the full WA5, the main difference is that the LE uses cheaper components (unless you pay for the $1,200 upgrade kit) and does not have speaker taps on the back. However the circuitry will fully support 8 watts into 110 ohms, which was originally the recommended power output for the AKG K1000.

I ran a WA5 with the 1266 phi's for a while and have always preferred using the maximum amount of output that the amps offers. The "regular" hi setting is fairly anemic for the 1266 phi's, and is more suitable for something like the Utopia or Ether Flow.

I should add that while something like the Magni might be rated higher at a certain impedance level, the 300b tubes in the WA5 are very current-heavy and they will exert far better control over low-sensitivity planars than cheap solid state amps.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #7,637 of 22,434
As one of the people who recently bought a 1266 CC, I'd like to say that Abyss is indeed taking care of me. I reached out to Joe and I'll be swapped out for a TC. Customer service doesn't get better than that in my opinion. A problem came up, and they've rectified it. What more can you ask for? JPS/Abyss stood behind me as a customer, and I'd recommend them to anyone else looking for headphones in this price range.
Hello, would you mind sharing how the swapping would work?

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #7,638 of 22,434
The LE version had hi/lo settings. The wa5 has speaker/hi/low setting. Roughly 8 watts from hi and 1.5 from low.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #7,639 of 22,434
The v2 wa5 le will output 8 watts from both xlr and se jacks. This is different than v1. It is my main amp and I’m looking at manual as I type.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #7,640 of 22,434
Has anyone noticed the stainless steel mesh covering the drivers having some imperfections? The mesh covering my left driver already have a wide gap. I guess its more of a cosmetic issue than a practical one but still, dust particles getting inside the driver is terrifying to even think about.

This has been my experience as well. They have always taken care of me and often done above and beyond what they needed to. I had purchased the Abyss Phi several weeks before CC was announced and I got a CC after getting in touch without any hassle (despite the $500 price increase associated with the CC).

There was also the time I accidentally stabbed one of the drivers while unpacking a rental 1266 phi from the Cable Co and got in touch with Joe, fessing up to it and asking how much it would be for repair. It was taken care of for free and sent back to me to evaluate. That was definitely not what I was expecting. Driver pictured below, warning NSFL!

You can actually peek inside the driver thru that punctured hole.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #7,641 of 22,434
Hello, would you mind sharing how the swapping would work?
I reached out to Joe via PM on here and he said they'd contact me to swap it out in a few months when they have some more TCs available (seemed reasonable to me). This is happening because I requested it, it's not automatic so you'd have to reach out.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #7,643 of 22,434
Ah thank you! Did he mention about the cost?
I was told that it would be at no cost since I had bought it recently and directly.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #7,646 of 22,434
Re: Abyss Phi cable upgrade (part 2, including the Superconductor HP – part 1 here)

insieme.jpeg

Background

Several months ago, after a prolonged at-home trial of the Danacable Lazuli Reference and DHC Prion4 (see this post), I started searching for a 2nd hand Prion4 which I eventually bought from a fellow head-fier.

At the time, I did not include the JPS Superconductor HP (just SC from now on) in my evaluation because I were not able to find a practical way to get a loan here in Italy. Also, I was scared about the price.

However, I always remained curious about what the best JPS Labs cable for the AB-1266 could bring to the table, and you know what happens to an audiophile when the itch starts :)

A couple of weeks ago I indulged myself with the Superconductor HP cable for my Abyss Phi, and after about 60 hours of burn-in (both of the cable and of my brain / ears) I thought it was time to share some impressions here.

The most significant change of my rig from the time of my previous headphone cable comparison has been the addition of the Hugo M Scaler to my DAVE, which had a profound effect on my system, by making it darker, smoother, fuller, more natural sounding and less fatiguing. Actually, the effect has been so transformational that some of the notes I took in my previous A/B of the Prion4 vs. the stock JPS cable are not applicable anymore to my current configuration (see later on).
This is to remark how also A/B comparisons on single components / accessories are still very system dependent. As usual, YMMV.

Looks and Ergonomics

Ergonomics was the main reason I started looking for a replacement of the stock cable last year. It is much longer than I need, and I don’t really like its plasticky feeling when handling it, and its cheap looks.

stock.jpeg

Instead, I love the look and feel of both DHC and SC, where the DHC (also because of the color combination I have) is flashier and high-endish with its double braided design, and the SC is more elegant and austere but with outstanding details.

The ergonomics of the SC is easily the best. This cable is incredibly light and flexible, has no microphonics and is smooth to the touch.

Overall Sound Signature

The stock cable is the most neutral of all the cables I tried, in my opinion. It excels at dynamics, has great speed and visceral impact. Its bass response is full without being loose. Midrange is a bit dry and treble has some grain.

The Prion4 is a very transparent and detailed cable, with a liquid, extended treble and an effortless presentation throughout the sound spectrum, the downside being a comparatively lean-ish sound. The airier and most resolving of the three, especially in the bass / sub-bass area.

The SC has the richest midrange, and adds some bloom in the bass region. It is the warmest and overall fullest sounding. To my ears, it does not trade-off too much transparency, except for some bleeding between the bass and the lower midrange and a slight veil at the top end.

Going by memory, the SC retains most of the warmth and opulence of the Lazuli Ref., with less noticeable loss in transparency that was the deal breaker for my tastes with the Dana.

Imaging and Headstage

The SC has the widest soundstage – by a slight margin – and makes the Abyss sound grander than the other two.
The Prion4 is easily the best at imaging, due to its outstanding resolution and fine details retrieval.
The stock is no slouch, only the Prion4 clearly outperforms it, with its almost hyper-realistic focus capabilities.

Frequency Response

The bass of the SC is the thickest and more satisfying one. On the other hand, its added bloom trades for some articulation.

The Prion4 has a very tight and punchy bass. It goes as deep as the SC, but has shorter decay.

The stock has the most visceral impact, it makes the Abyss move air both very fast and strong. Overall, it is the most balanced bass, but the SC can put a larger smile on my face with the right tracks!

Midrange is where the SC does its magic, with a richer and more euphonic response, which is apparent on strings and especially on vocals.

The Prion4 midrange is the most articulated and clean one, very pleasing without being dry, where the stock sounds slightly recessed and sterile in comparison.

The Prion4 treble seems to have no extension limits and it is as liquid as it gets with the Abyss Phi. The Superconductor comes second with a sweeter, but also more veiled, presentation, and the stock falls short comparatively with a (slightly) harder and less refined top end.

dhc-detail.jpg

Music Genres Match

Vocals are a highlight of the SC, especially female, where the added meat to the bone and harmonic richness make the singer stand out with more physicality.

Classical (orchestral) is a tight match between the stock and Prion4 especially when large scale dynamics and crowded fortissimos are key. Tonality-wise, the SC presents sweeter strings and very engaging double bass and tympany sections. In general, orchestral music is a joy to listen to with the Abyss, they are very, VERY good at this regardless of the cable.

With Chamber and Jazz I slightly prefer the Prion4 because of its immaculate transparency, that makes spatial cues, ambience effects and plankton retrieval very obvious. However, the SC sounded more real with some recordings where the violin came out a bit strident with the Prion4 and stock.

Piano is a clear win for the Superconductor to my ears. Low end harmonics structures are richer and the luminous midrange is very seductive with this instrument. Prion4 wins at transients and resolution.

Rock is where the stock performs best, because of its very fast and impactful response. However, its relative harshness in the upper midrange can be distracting with vocals and with bad recordings. The slightly more forgiving character of the SC can be beneficial in these cases.

sc-detail.jpg

Conclusion

At around 2k USD street price, it is clear that the Prion4 or Superconductor cable upgrade is even beyond the decreasing returns definition (you can buy a 2nd hand Utopia for that money!), as, regardless of all the effort in finding adjectives, qualificators and differentiators in what I have written above, we’re dealing with nuances and changes of flavors here - at least to my ears. And the stock cable is a good cable.

That said, with a resolving enough system, the right recordings and entering critical listening mode, these nuances become apparent and have a cumulative, definite beneficial impact on how much I enjoy listening to music with the AB-1266 Phi.

With the M Scaler in place, the improvement has become even easier to detect than when I did my previous comparison, and once heard it would be difficult to go back to the stock now.

Between the Prion4 and Superconductor, I cannot decide what I like best at this point. Both bring very special – different – things I really enjoy, and I believe I need more listening time with the SC to really make my mind.

However, it is hard to me to justify having both, and I believe I will end up putting one of the two in the classifieds in the future.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #7,647 of 22,434
Having been eyeing an Abyss for awhile now. But in order to fund the purchase I should probably part with some other headphones. Wondering how Abyss owners feel about which headphone is the most similar. I currently have Utopia, LCD-4, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Senn. HD800S in my main rig. Are any of these similar enough that I wouldn't really miss them if I sold it to help fund the purchase? I like having different phones for different music and moods. Thus the current variety. Opinions are appreciated.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,648 of 22,434
@JLoud d I'd sell the Utopia & HD800S as IMHO I feel easily exceeds the technical traits that define both of these components i.e. resolution, dynamics, soundstage width and depth and musicality. If you don't value having a closed back, I'd sell the Sony as well. Leaving you with the LCD-4 with it's more textural and fleshed out mid-range as counter-point to the outright sensory assault (in the best way) that is the Abyss.

@simorag - What a wonderful comparison/review. Thank you for taking the time to do that. How long are your SC & Prion 4 Cables?

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #7,649 of 22,434
I have been auditioning the Abyss Phi on loan from the Cable company and am absolutely amazed at this headphone! Amazing accomplishment by Joe and the folks at Abyss - just great. I have placed an order for the Abyss Phi TC - no higher compliment in my book. I keep shaking my head - just beautiful...
I would not be disappointed at all with the Phi version its all I could ask for in terms of sound quality, but I look forward to any improvements with the Phi TC. Thanks so much Joe and Abyss for your great work!

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #7,650 of 22,434
Having been eyeing an Abyss for awhile now. But in order to fund the purchase I should probably part with some other headphones. Wondering how Abyss owners feel about which headphone is the most similar. I currently have Utopia, LCD-4, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Senn. HD800S in my main rig. Are any of these similar enough that I wouldn't really miss them if I sold it to help fund the purchase? I like having different phones for different music and moods. Thus the current variety. Opinions are appreciated.

@JLoud d I'd sell the Utopia & HD800S as IMHO I feel easily exceeds the technical traits that define both of these components i.e. resolution, dynamics, soundstage width and depth and musicality. If you don't value having a closed back, I'd sell the Sony as well. Leaving you with the LCD-4 with it's more textural and fleshed out mid-range as counter-point to the outright sensory assault (in the best way) that is the Abyss.

@simorag - What a wonderful comparison/review. Thank you for taking the time to do that. How long are your SC & Prion 4 Cables?

Agreed what this recommendation.

I'd sell the Utopia for sure. The Sony is not in the league of the abyss so keep it only if u want a closed back. Senn can also go. Lcd4 is diff enough, to keep around and plays in that space.

As for the cable review earlier, let me get reading on that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back