The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #7,218 of 22,434
If an issue arises with these headphones, do they have to be shipped to America to be resolved or can they be rectified by an authorised dealer in customers home country?
I would work with my dealer, who is authorized and is conveniently close by. He is extremely accommodating so I have no doubt he would take care of it. But I am sure he would ship it to the US for any actual repair.

I did have an issue with a product from another manufacturer, he simply replaced it and took care of it from there. In that case he was working with a regional distributor.

Nov 11, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #7,219 of 22,434
If an issue arises with these headphones, do they have to be shipped to America to be resolved or can they be rectified by an authorised dealer in customers home country?

As far as I am aware, the dealers do not do the repairs, only JPS do. You would return them to your dealer within the first year as the warranty is through the dealer and they will handle it from there, but if there is a problem during the second or third years you send them back to JPS yourself. I think.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #7,220 of 22,434
We've had to go through and do some cleaning in the thread, because several of the posts were no longer in-line with the Posting Guidelines. Head-Fi's forums are not the place to handle individual issues. If you are experiencing problems, please use a manufacturer's support channels to reach a resolution. Thanks everyone.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7,221 of 22,434
After a few months from purchasing the CC pads for my Abyss Phi, I am glad to report that I concluded they are, for me, an improvement over the originals.

With the original pads, I found that my sweet spot for sound quality was with the seam like in the picture below and with the frame fully stretched out and bent backwards, so that the pads “open” in front of me.

pads originali abyss.jpg

That particular fit gave the best result for bass response (deep but not boomy), and was also very comfortable since the pads were barely touching my ears / face and I could feel almost no pressure from them.

The drawback of this (almost floating) fit was that every time I put the Abyss on I had to fiddle a bit to (re)find the right position around my ears, and any movement of my head or change of position on my couch could need a re-adjustment of the pad – i.e. more fidgeting. Also, with that fit, all the weight of the headphones rested on the tip of my head via the headband.

With the CC pads, after some trials, my preferred fit is with the seam like below. This matches the tonal balance I was used with the old ones, possibly even further improving on the bass (!).

pads CC abyss.jpg

After some adjustment to the new feeling, there still was a sense of clamping around my ears and jaw I did not like, so I decided to slightly bend outwards the aluminum frame, like shown in this video:

Now the clamping pressure is reduced and I find the CC pads very comfortable (4 straight hours of listening only today). Furthermore, the headphone fit is very stable, it easier to forget you are wearing them compared to the OG pads. Wearing the AB-1266 is now basically plug and play, with no need for fine tuning each time I put the HP on.

As for the sound, I can say the imaging is even more pinpointed and the general sense of focus is increased. The vocalists / soloists seem a bit more forward than before.

Before bending the frame outwards, I felt that I had lost some of the speaker-like presentation of the original pads, so I was still switching between CC / original depending on music type, which is not the case anymore.

In conclusion, I needed to spend some time and effort on them, but I now think the CC pads provide a better overall headphone experience: better fit, comfort, imaging, while keeping the visceral impact, openness and soundstage width of the original pads.

.. Not forgetting the luxurious look and feel of the perforated leather :)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #7,224 of 22,434
Nope, I bought my Abyss Phi in Dec 2017, when the CC was not yet presented.
I bought just before the CC came out. I was able to get a free pad upgrade. I have not seen a CC, only photos. Honestly I have a hard time telling the difference in finish from the photos.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #7,225 of 22,434
Nope, I bought my Abyss Phi in Dec 2017, when the CC was not yet presented.

RE Paint Finish: Yes, early December 2017 is when I took delivery of my Phi as well , the new pads were introduced in July of this year. The "powdered" paint finish threw me off a bit when I got them because I was expecting that "brushed" metal effect the demo had that I evaluated. At that time a choice of color was not offered and not sure if Diana had been introduced at that point or not. I remember making a post about it at the time and vaguely remember a plausible reason for the change in finish. Now almost a year later I really like the current satin look better, it seems very durable and doesn't show finger prints like the previous finish.

On Pad Positioning: Mine are only 1 notch off from the old pads but much more comfortable. My experience was as simorag's, there was a little slop in contact when I moved my head with the old pads. The new pads remain gently in place without feeling clamped once the head band broke in a little bit (I have to fully extend the metal band for a comfortable fit and I store it that way all the time), and correct positioning is much easier when I put them on. I also think Joe recently mentioned the latest head bands may be a touch thicker for a better cushioning effect. but I haven't ordered one. (Too early in the morning to search for old posts - still on my first cup-o-Jo).

A year after purchase and I'm still extremely satisfied with my CC upgraded Phi with satin finish metal. I'm thinking on the SC and that Formula S amp for next year. That will give me 3 different cable sound profiles for my Phi and a bona fide Class A amp to play around with.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #7,226 of 22,434
The original Phi had the same finish as the original AB-1266, it then was changed to a flat black finish after 6 months or so. The Phi CC is a lighter grey finish, rather than flat black. If I'm wrong on any of that, Joe will jump in I'm sure :)

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #7,227 of 22,434
Mine is definitely the flat black or suede-like and so probably a later edition. I didn't rush out to get the Phi, I wanted to get a thorough audition and so had to wait for it to be come available to borrow from my dealer.
I thought the light grey was one of the new color options made available for new purchases after introduction of the CC? And perhaps the same ones as the Diana.
From their site:
"High quality two-tone black polymer ceramic coatings on the all metal frame and components, polished metal accents. Custom colors to order."

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #7,228 of 22,434
Once we brought the polymer ceramic finishing process in-house for Diana we decided to use it with the1266, this way we're in charge of quality and schedule.

The two-tone black tends to look better in person than pictures. Here's an enhanced photo that better shows the deep black accents of the badges, top head bolt, elastic band gumdrops, grills, and driver baffle. The main frame components are a slightly grayish black, still black just not as deep.

Abyss-Heapdhones-AB-1266-CC.jpg

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back