The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #6,932 of 22,511
I couldn't put a number to it because it would be arbitrary and meaningless. All I can say is I auditioned the original AB1266 in November of 2016 for over a week in home, didn't like it, didn't buy it. I auditioned the Phi in November 2017 in home for a week, loved it, bought it. It was all about the small changes in the sound of upper mids and higher frequencies that changed my thinking. Maybe the Phi was more transparent with better transient management, but to remember precisely with a full year between takes it's really impossible to say. I didn't want to listen much with the original, can't get enough of the Phi. Maybe I was just ready to hear it. But everyone hears differently, and we all like different things, a quick run around this website will confirm that.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #6,933 of 22,511
18%

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #6,934 of 22,511
I didn't notice any changes from burn-in on my (non-CC) Phis.

It may have something to do with the fact that I was content with how they sounded from jump, so wasn't trying to will my brain into finding positive changes along the way.

But also, I was listening to them very regularly during that two-week period, switched the cables twice, went from stock to CC pads, and was constantly fiddling with the fit. But anyway.

No break-in changes from my perspective.
Pre-ordered and added the CC pads as soon as they were delivered.
The difference in pad depth had me make a 1 notch adjustment to get it to feel just like the previous pads, basically a non-event.
Any benefits to the sound have remained consistent since I installed them.
I do think they are a bit more comfortable, the small vent holes around the outside of the ear pad give a softer overall feel when wearing.
Enjoy!

Good news about no break-in. Mine will be delivered on Friday. I hope these are all they're cracked up to be.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #6,935 of 22,511
they are!

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #6,936 of 22,511
Got my CC two days ago with the new ear pads. I'm having a harder time getting the fit right vs the old pads. I feel more pressure at the top of the ear pads than the bottom. This is with the stitching at 1 oclock position. Didn't have this problem with the old pads. Also the headband seems to apply more pressure on my head. I felt fatigue after about an hour. Does the headband need break in time?

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #6,938 of 22,511
Got my CC two days ago with the new ear pads. I'm having a harder time getting the fit right vs the old pads. I feel more pressure at the top of the ear pads than the bottom. This is with the stitching at 1 oclock position. Didn't have this problem with the old pads. Also the headband seems to apply more pressure on my head. I felt fatigue after about an hour. Does the headband need break in time?

Could be you need a larger headband?

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #6,941 of 22,511
There is a dealer on Audiogon selling a new abyss phi cc for $3,850? Should I be suspicious? I am...

That feels really wrong to me personally. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

My only thought is if it's an old Abyss with the new ear pads and Phi upgrade but not truly a new CC painted production model.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #6,942 of 22,511

Try moving that seam up one notch, that solved it for me, I experienced the exact same situation, a bit more pressure above the ear than below. The move equalized it all the way around, feels like the originals at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back