The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #6,901 of 22,434
That's a good looking connector.

Makes me wish I could justify the price of the SC to myself, especially since I would need at least a six foot cable.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #6,903 of 22,434
That's one fat looking cable. Is it heavy and unwieldy?
Actually no. It is lighter than the Luzuli Reference cable and even feels lighter than the standard cable because the standard cable uses a 1/4" adapter (balanced connection) for a 1/4" connector. It's also very soft and flexible, really nice to the touch easy to maneuver.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #6,904 of 22,434
Also, if anyone has any favorable impressions on any other cables not mentioned here in the last couple weeks, that would be great to hear about too. Especially if they happen to cost less than a new pair of b-stock LCD-3's, haha.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #6,905 of 22,434
Also, if anyone has any favorable impressions on any other cables not mentioned here in the last couple weeks, that would be great to hear about too. Especially if they happen to cost less than a new pair of b-stock LCD-3's, haha.

I feel you there. Hell, honestly I would pay about that for a good end game cable at this point. Just so I can stop thinking about it.

I keep hoping someone puts their SC 1/4" up for sale :p

I also recently contacted Norne. I might have them custom make me a cable, I just can't decide between silver or copper. Best part? Half the price of a comparable SC. I hate how badly I've always wanted one. The JPS connectors are beautiful, but I could buy a Diana for the same price...

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #6,906 of 22,434
I too have had the Lazuli Reference cable for the Phi but as good as the Ref is I now prefer the Superconductor cable for more engagement.
It just has that way of pulling you into the music with its rich and full bodied sound and while being very detailed.
After reading comments about the SC I was a bit worried that it was going to be too rich and lacking detail but it makes the Phi everything i hoped it would be after being unsatisfied with other Headphones and cable combinations.
The Danacable is probably the better buy cost wise but if one has the money, the SC is so worth it ( IMO)

Am too loving these new CC pads, maybe those who didn't like the SC cable so much before will have a different opinion with the new pads on ?
Interesting that you have come from the Lazuli Reference to the SC cable.
Reading ‘between the lines’, & having recently installed the ‘new pads’ (& finding a great difference to the original) believe your comment as to the ‘new pads’ may indeed be very true as what I ‘understand’ to be the characteristics of the SC cable.
My problem, (& I presume many others) is in auditioning the SC cable. In Australia, even the main ‘handler’ of Abyss, does not carry the SC cable, & will only ‘order’ them from Abyss if I purchase them.
Now, I have at times, ‘taken the risk’ & actually purchased cables at the risk of them ‘ending up in the capable draw’, but at the AU$4294.00 cost of say the 8 foot length of the SC, it is not something that I at least, am prepared to do. (It appears that getting to audition the cables for U.S. residents is a different situation).
As said initially, I am pretty sure that with the new pads’, that the SC may be indeed ‘the way to go’, but without a chance to audition them, it’s not a sensible proposition.
All the best to my fellow Abyss owners.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #6,907 of 22,434
Reading ‘between the lines’, & having recently installed the ‘new pads’ (& finding a great difference to the original) believe your comment as to the ‘new pads’ may indeed be very true as what I ‘understand’ to be the characteristics of the SC cable.
My problem, (& I presume many others) is in auditioning the SC cable. In Australia, even the main ‘handler’ of Abyss, does not carry the SC cable, & will only ‘order’ them from Abyss if I purchase them.
Now, I have at times, ‘taken the risk’ & actually purchased cables at the risk of them ‘ending up in the capable draw’, but at the AU$4294.00 cost of say the 8 foot length of the SC, it is not something that I at least, am prepared to do. (It appears that getting to audition the cables for U.S. residents is a different situation).
As said initially, I am pretty sure that with the new pads’, that the SC may be indeed ‘the way to go’, but without a chance to audition them, it’s not a sensible proposition.

Interesting, I have the new pads but started using them while SC was burning in. I will have to go back and put on the old one's and have a listen, to see how much it affects the SC performance.

Also of interest is the fact that with the new pads, I am liking the sound best with the headband tilted forward on my head (angled toward my forehead) and with my ears closer to the rear of the cups

Aug 9, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #6,908 of 22,434

Are you sure? I have auditioned the Superconductor at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne before, but that was probably quite a while ago now - not long after it's release I suppose.

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #6,910 of 22,434
Coming back online now after my wife's serious health issues. It gives you a very different perspective of life when you are suddenly confronted with the possibility of losing someone you have made your life and family with.

Back on topic! Listening to the Phi's on a WA 33 Elite, still messing around with the high/low impedance settings, I think thy sound better on the high and was cruising the web and bam I see a new version of the Abyss Phi the CC. Can anyone comment on the SQ difference between the PHI and the Phi CC? I am sure they will be as the pads are now perforated.

I must go back and re-visit the SC cable with the WA 33 as it is very revealing and sensitive to tubes.

I had a set of MYSpheres on loan - they reminded me in fit of the Abyss not so the sound signature. I kept fiddling with the setup in the hope of getting some Abyss like low end performance however it was in vain. The Abyss PHI still remain my fav dynamic HP.

Note - The new Blade Runner 2049 Album is worth buying just for listening with the Abyss.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #6,911 of 22,434
Coming back online now after my wife's serious health issues. It gives you a very different perspective of life when you are suddenly confronted with the possibility of losing someone you have made your life and family with.

Back on topic! Listening to the Phi's on a WA 33 Elite, still messing around with the high/low impedance settings, I think thy sound better on the high and was cruising the web and bam I see a new version of the Abyss Phi the CC. Can anyone comment on the SQ difference between the PHI and the Phi CC? I am sure they will be as the pads are now perforated.

I must go back and re-visit the SC cable with the WA 33 as it is very revealing and sensitive to tubes.

I had a set of MYSpheres on loan - they reminded me in fit of the Abyss not so the sound signature. I kept fiddling with the setup in the hope of getting some Abyss like low end performance however it was in vain. The Abyss PHI still remain my fav dynamic HP.

Note - The new Blade Runner 2049 Album is worth buying just for listening with the Abyss.

Sorry to hear about your wifes health issues, thats never fun :frowning2:

Agree 100% on the Blade Runner soundtrack!

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #6,912 of 22,434
Can anyone comment on the SQ difference between the PHI and the Phi CC? I am sure they will be as the pads are now perforated.

You can buy the new pads on their own if you want to upgrade. No way to change to the matt black ceramic coating of the new version though (unless you buy new). I think maybe beloab might have sold and re-bought to get the new paint job, but everyone else has just gone with the new pads. There have been some impressions posted in the last few pages.

Is there a case recommendation for the Abyss that is not the leather bag?

I used the soft cloth bag from my omega headphone stand the couple of times my pair has left the house... I wouldn't imagine many people would travel with them regularly. The lite version now comes with a soft carry bag.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #6,913 of 22,434
Hi Everyone - I'm thinking of purchasing a headphone amplifier to add to my system. I predominantly listen to electronica (progressive, deep, & tech house; techno, and ambient). Given I'm looking at tube amps I'm conscious that there will be some obvious compromises I'll need to make as far as resolution is concerned given I'll be inserting the amplifier between BluDave and a pair of Abyss (Phi's). I'm looking for something that will give me a bit more low end weight, improve bass extension and slam, and lastly a little bit of magical harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies wouldn't go astray.

With this in mind I'm looking either Cayin's just released HA300 or Woo's WA33.

If anyone has thoughts or observations re: my requirements, or indeed, the amplifiers in question please do share.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #6,914 of 22,434
I might do the the small thing as Beolab. I have a pair of the original Abyss boxed in perfect condition and a pair of the Phi again which I haven't used much due to family issues. I basically burned them ion and have not touched them since.

I had a pair of the MYSphere's however I didn't think they were fantastic certainly for my tastes they could not reproduce the lower end frequencies in anything like the manner of the Abyss so I think I will sell off my two pairs of Abyss and buy a new pair. I really like the CC coating and the exposed earned slots. Reminds me of a Tank track :floatsmile:.

I am going to find the SC cables I have (just moved house) and put them in the system this weekend with the WA 33 and enjoy! I only have about 30 boxes to go through....

Anyone interested in some mint Abyss's send me a PM.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #6,915 of 22,434
I might do the the small thing as Beolab. I have a pair of the original Abyss boxed in perfect condition and a pair of the Phi again which I haven't used much due to family issues. I basically burned them ion and have not touched them since.

I had a pair of the MYSphere's however I didn't think they were fantastic certainly for my tastes they could not reproduce the lower end frequencies in anything like the manner of the Abyss so I think I will sell off my two pairs of Abyss and buy a new pair. I really like the CC coating and the exposed earned slots. Reminds me of a Tank track :floatsmile:.

I am going to find the SC cables I have (just moved house) and put them in the system this weekend with the WA 33 and enjoy! I only have about 30 boxes to go through....

Anyone interested in some mint Abyss's send me a PM.

If only you were selling a spare 1/4" SC or good cable ;P

GLWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back