The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #6,736 of 22,434
The Stratus/WA5 also drove the OG Abyss quite brilliantly 6/10 volume. The Moon 600i was slightly better but not by all that much.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #6,737 of 22,434
This is not true at all, the studio easily drives the Abyss OG. I run it at about 1 oclock on the volume knob.
Also it's an excellent pairing, the studio was tested extensively with the abyss during it's development.

EDIT: I have heard that the ZDS (some of the variations) is not sufficient nor a good pairing with the OG Abyss

I think you have to read one more time.

I refereed to that the Studio can handle the Abyss Phi , but the ZDS will most probably be to weak , you need some headroom, so i would not recommend it. That is my opinion

Go for the Studio ( Used one ) in that case

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #6,738 of 22,434
I read it a few times and what you said is not very clear, sorry. I know you are not native with English :)

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #6,740 of 22,434
Not EC ZDS , but the Studio, and the EC ZDS is to weak in output power in this case with 650 mW just. You will get a very detailed, high resolutioned sound with some warmth, but not overwhelmingly alot. Mybe the ZDS is more gentle than the studio perhaps.

The Abyss likes Tube-amps , but i can not recommend it for the Abyss, if your Abyss is your No. 1 headphone.
To be honest I purchased ZDS for Uto, but I recently tried 1266 paired with Stratus ... man they are so good, but I feel Stratus is not powerful enough. Do you have any recommendations? I owned a LAu before but I don’t like it, it sounds weird to me. Studio is out of my budget... I’m thinking about some good amps around 3k.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #6,741 of 22,434
tube hybrids should work if you still want tube bloom with solid state control. Liquid glass comes to mind. Otherwise you need a push pull tube amp and they are expensive.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #6,742 of 22,434
Well, mark me down as an Abyss Fanboi! I've been going through some health issues (they are putting me back together, I'm an orthopedic surgeon’s dream), and I haven't been able to listen to my system as frequently as usual. Every time I put them on I am absolutely amazed at how fantastic thy sound. This is with a modest system (Bluesound>Vinshine R2R Ladder DAC>Lyr 3 ((Sylvania Bad Boy))>Abyss), they truly are the closest to listening to a pair of great speakers that I've heard from a headphone.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #6,743 of 22,434
To be honest I purchased ZDS for Uto, but I recently tried 1266 paired with Stratus ... man they are so good, but I feel Stratus is not powerful enough. Do you have any recommendations? I owned a LAu before but I don’t like it, it sounds weird to me. Studio is out of my budget... I’m thinking about some good amps around 3k.

I note the comment re the Cavalli Lau sounding "weird".
As I have this amp, I have always been particularly interested in what others have found as to the sound characteristics of the Lau. OK, I sure don't find it "weird",(but that's fine) but in that there was never a lot of discussion on the sound characteristics of the Lau, I'm really interested in some impressions.
To say that I am trying to 're-centre' my listening with the Abyss, (& associated equipment, Metrum 'Pavane DAC) & particularly in that will be having it converted to the Phi version.
As I use the Lau with the Abyss, (& also the HD800S) I ask here rather than dumping it into the actual Lau thread in that it is not so active now
My impression is that it is just slightly "warm", & 'valve like' in some ways. But my ears are 'old'.:triportsad:
Really interested in opinions of:
Micro detail
Macro detail
Speed
'Tightness'.
Would really appreciate some input as to you impressions of this amp

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #6,744 of 22,434
As I have this amp, I have always been particularly interested in what others have found as to the sound characteristics of the Lau. OK, I sure don't find it "weird",(but that's fine) but in that there was never a lot of discussion on the sound characteristics of the Lau, I'm really interested in some impressions.
To say that I am trying to 're-centre' my listening with the Abyss, (& associated equipment, Metrum 'Pavane DAC) & particularly in that will be having it converted to the Phi version.
As I use the Lau with the Abyss, (& also the HD800S) I ask here rather than dumping it into the actual Lau thread in that it is not so active now
My impression is that it is just slightly "warm", & 'valve like' in some ways. But my ears are 'old'.:triportsad:
Micro detail
Macro detail
Speed
'Tightness'.
The word "old" is way more accurate than my "weird". One of the biggest downside I found on LAu is that LAu seems can tune every headphones to sorta the same... It is a very likable AMP, I just don't like that LAu adds too much "personal flavor" to the sound, especially in mid, which makes it sounds like old cd players. Another problem I found from my Lau is the sound is a little bit too thick and full for my taste when pair with utopia, somehow makes me feel nervous instead of relaxing, that's why I use "weird". But I have to say, I'm still regretting selling it cause it's so versatile.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #6,745 of 22,434
Micro detail
Macro detail
Speed
'Tightness'.
LOL, sorry I didn't read your comment carefully. I didn't mean to say your ears are old, I mean the Lau does give me a vintage equipment's feel.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #6,747 of 22,434
LOL, sorry I didn't read your comment carefully. I didn't mean to say your ears are old, I mean the Lau does give me a vintage equipment's feel.

No problem!!! In fact, I was referring to my ears being "old", they are in fact extremely similar in age as to the rest of me, --- nearly 75.
Your stated impressions make sense, "strange", & this defined to "old" & this redefined as "vintage".
Much appreciated,( &, I am sure no offence taken by yourself) your impressions make me even more interested in that of anyone else that can comment.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #6,748 of 22,434

There is alot of small garage companies or DIY tube headphone amps to find especially in Asia, but if we look a the High End side and more common names like, the WOo’s , EC, E.A.R MP4 , Wavelength , Audiovalve , Pathos etc , they does not make a whole lot of power, but you get the spark and the uniqe shimmering velvet sound that an SS amp does not possess.

If you want to go the middle road you loan an Ifi Ican Pro that can run as a pure SS or a hybrid or a true Tube amp, but it needs better tubes to come to life. It is like an swiss army knife in all sorts of ways but not a true top of the line High End amp with a sole in my opinion, but it plays very correct.

You can also try a Speaker Tube amp like a used Leben ( Leben is like an Jaguar, it is not best in any criteria, but it is still an Jaguar with its own sole, and you get the great tube sound in spades) .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back