The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #5,176 of 22,434
I believe Beolab also had the Headtrip before deciding upon the 600i. I was interested in trying it myself until that point.

Either way, you can't go wrong (even slightly) with the V281, 600i, Headtrip or Milo with the Abyss. Happy days!

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5,177 of 22,434
Thanks for all the immediate feedback guys! Really helps point me in the right direction.

That being said, my local dealer has a MHA100 Macintosh Amp on clearence at $2,200.. It originally goes around $4,500.. Seems like a good deal, but dont know if clearance is due to a new version coming soon... It also doesnt support XLR.

Im reading all the reviews but in these pricing tiers everys review says "A++" lol

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #5,178 of 22,434
Thanks for all the immediate feedback guys! Really helps point me in the right direction.

That being said, my local dealer has a MHA100 Macintosh Amp on clearence at $2,200.. It originally goes around $4,500.. Seems like a good deal, but dont know if clearance is due to a new version coming soon... It also doesnt support XLR.

Im reading all the reviews but in these pricing tiers everys review says "A++" lol

With a pigtail adapter u can drive your Abyss straight off the speaker taps of the MHA100 amp.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,179 of 22,434

Actually that is one of very few amps I've heard not great things about.  Make sure you try it first if you can - might be on sale because nobody wants to buy it...

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #5,181 of 22,434
Welp, my stock Abyss cable right side cable decided to start cutting out.

Currently in the middle of waiting for a new custom cable from someone named Ted.
Hoping it ends up being a good cable.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #5,183 of 22,434
  Welp, my stock Abyss cable right side cable decided to start cutting out.

Currently in the middle of waiting for a new custom cable from someone named Ted.
Hoping it ends up being a good cable.

Hmm you haven't had it very long - I'm sure Joe would have fixed it for you under warranty if you asked.

Unless of course there is a problem somewhere else in the chain and Ted's cable does the same thing...

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #5,184 of 22,434
Well I decided against the Macintosh Amp and gave Jeff a call at Wells Audio.  He was super nice and informative.  Went ahead and placed an order for the Milo with the upgraded Khozmo attenuator.  Should arrive along the same time as my Abyss this next weekend..  

Man am I very anxious to set everything up!   I think I might just call into work and hibernate all week to help these two new additions get here quicker!   Ahh... I'm nervous.  I have zero Idea what to expect.   About 7 months ago I had a 430HAD with the LCD-3, but its been so long since those days.   

I'll be sure to post an update with some photos once it arrives over the weekend!  Heres to hoping they both get here on Friday instead of Sunday! *Crosses fingers* lol

Cheers

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #5,185 of 22,434
  Well I decided against the Macintosh Amp and gave Jeff a call at Wells Audio.  He was super nice and informative.  Went ahead and placed an order for the Milo with the upgraded Khozmo attenuator.  Should arrive along the same time as my Abyss this next weekend..  

Man am I very anxious to set everything up!   I think I might just call into work and hibernate all week to help these two new additions get here quicker!   Ahh... I'm nervous.  I have zero Idea what to expect.   About 7 months ago I had a 430HAD with the LCD-3, but its been so long since those days.   

I'll be sure to post an update with some photos once it arrives over the weekend!  Heres to hoping they both get here on Friday instead of Sunday! *Crosses fingers* lol

Cheers

That's superb, you will not be disappointed driving the Abyss, Wells Audio makes some really high end amps.
Definitely enough clean current for the Abyss.
Please post once you get it, don't worry explaining the sound as we all know its probably one of the better rigs if not best in this thread for sometime.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #5,186 of 22,434
Mcintosh do not give enough power to the Abyss (I had and sold after two days...).

Very, very good the Goldmund and Dave (digital DAC and amp)...

But no one has the power, synergy and musicality the HEADTRIP with DHC Prion4 cable have (with Vitus 025 CD player)... Just my two cents...

Nik

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #5,187 of 22,434
Hmm you haven't had it very long - I'm sure Joe would have fixed it for you under warranty if you asked.

Unless of course there is a problem somewhere else in the chain and Ted's cable does the same thing...

Depending on what happens I'll be looking into getting the stock cable fixed, or figuring out what's up with my system.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #5,189 of 22,434
Mcintosh do not give enough power to the Abyss (I had and sold after two days...).

Very, very good the Goldmund and Dave (digital DAC and amp)...

But no one has the power, synergy and musicality the HEADTRIP with DHC Prion4 cable have (with Vitus 025 CD player)... Just my two cents...

Nik

I just pulled the trigger on the McIntosh MHA100 hopefully it sounds decent because I really like the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back