The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #4,966 of 22,434
Hi guy's,
The Chord Dave arrived today to my door...
The direct comparison head by head with the Goldmund HDA 2 started...
My Abyss wants the very best...

Keep in touch...

Best regards!
Nik

Congratulation and welcome to the DAVE Club Nik!

Very interesting to hear your impressions.

Have a great listening day!

/ Fredrik

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #4,967 of 22,434
Very first impression of the two contenders for the Abyss...
The Goldmund like more hifi typical sound...
The Dave more live sound you are inside of the music, more powerful

Stay tuned...
Nik

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #4,968 of 22,434
Very first impression of the two contenders for the Abyss...
The Goldmund like more hifi typical sound...
The Dave more live sound you are inside of the music, more powerful

Stay tuned...
Nik

Yes it is hard to beat the DAVE sound, and the drive in the DAVE is immense if you look at the spec:ed power vs the Goldmund or any other headphone / speaker amp

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #4,969 of 22,434
Today test of the two amplifiers with this CD (reedbook): Mercedes Sosa "Misa Criolla"

Goldmund THA2 : simply perfect, nothing is out of the place...excellent live recording...
Dave : no words... Just tears...

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #4,970 of 22,434
... Only one thing I don't like in the Dave... With 4 Bnc input, why no one rca? My Vitus SCD 025, (and many others players) do not have any Bnc digital output... So I need a connector rca - > Bnc to insert the cable in the Dave...

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #4,973 of 22,434
Hi Giorgio, hard to find or to change my RCA Nordost Odin... :weary: (And 4 BNC... No one RCA...)

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,974 of 22,434
Did Joe say anything else about the new 2a3 tubes he was building with KR Audio?

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #4,975 of 22,434
Hello,
Quote:
Hi Giorgio, hard to find or to change my RCA Nordost Odin... :weary: (And 4 BNC... No one RCA...)

@Nik, living in Italy surprising that you didn't listen to the VIVA Egoista, an unequaled masterful amp based on the 845 triode, handmade by this VIVA great Italian (Vicenza) company managed by the Schembri brothers.
Never been aware of them ?

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #4,976 of 22,434
I don't think tubes are the best solution for the Abyss... Just my two cents...

Best regards
Nik

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #4,977 of 22,434
I don't think tubes are the best solution for the Abyss... Just my two cents...

Best regards
Nik

The Abyss works fine with both, the Viva Egosita is IMHO not a safe amp, I measured the temps on the sides of that amp with a Fluke IR Thermometer and they were +60C, that would make them unsaleable here in Australia where the max is 50C, I couldn't even touch the volume control for long as it burnt my fingers. The Abyss sounds really good with the DAVE, I have just had the Goldmund HDA2 here and IMO not as good as the DAVE, something special about that pairing. 

The Woo 234's with 300B's running Plate Lo-Z have about 65% of their power left to go running the Abyss LOUD ! Ask Joe, he is a big fan of the 234's, properly sorted with good valves.

Recently have been listening to something else very special and about as different as you can get. The Stax SR-009's. How I wish that Joe would make an Electrostatic version of the Abyss. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #4,978 of 22,434
  @Nik, living in Italy surprising that you didn't listen to the VIVA Egoista, an unequaled masterful amp based on the 845 triode, handmade by this VIVA great Italian (Vicenza) company managed by the Schembri brothers.
Never been aware of them ?

Worth listening to its smaller bother the 2A3 version. For what its worth, my impressions were it was more musical than its 845 brother. I don't know why they discourage tube rolling but you would definitely want to explore the options.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #4,979 of 22,434
  Worth listening to its smaller bother the 2A3 version. For what its worth, my impressions were it was more musical than its 845 brother. I don't know why they discourage tube rolling but you would definitely want to explore the options.

​You are welcome and I agree with your comment.
The VIVA 2A3 has gently rounded trebles and is more forgiving than for ex an 45 which leads to make it 'musical' like you write.

My point was that the 845 gives what it is expected from that triode: transparency and huge dynamic. You listen a lot to the DAC and being a DAVE it gives it a lot of space.
Then the 2A3 has not enough power to drive the Abyss.

But two great pieces of work.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,980 of 22,434
As always i think the power requirements of the abyss are being overstated here.

Tubes are a great solution with the abyss as many would agree the wa234, wa5 (maxed) are wonderful pairing with the abyss.

Not only was safety and heat a worry with the egosita, but it auditioned poorly to my ears. It was overly smoothed and lacked space and separation.

Other amps to consider are the studio and stellaris. If you can even find someone willing to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back