The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #4,876 of 22,434
wondered if a pure silver cable will sound too bright for Utopia? I know Peter mentioned that non of his silver cables sounded bright but I want to get the feedbacks from actual owners before handing over $2K for a set of cables

I can ensure you that these cables does not sound bright at all, ( normally silver cables sounds bright, analytical and slight harsh, that is true, but if you are using 18 AWG multi stranded pure 5N silver you get a totally different result)

They sound more on the warmer / richer side actually, so i think they will give the Utopia good synergy effect, from my perspective.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,877 of 22,434
I can ensure you that these cables does not sound bright at all, ( normally silver cables sounds bright, analytical and slight harsh, that is true, but if you are using 18 AWG multi stranded pure 5N silver you get a totally different result)

They sound more on the warmer / richer side actually, so i think they will give the Utopia good synergy effect, from my perspective.

I fully agree with that statement, I was honestly expecting DHC's pure Silver Comp4 to sound bright, certainly brighter than the Comp4 copper cables they replaced. There was not a hint of brightness, its genuinely the one of the few times in my audiophile life that Peter's description of them fully matched what I heard. Almost no break in was required either. I am very much looking forward to the new Prion cables, I will be reviewing the Headphone cables as well as a set of matching interconnects that DHC have sent of their own volition., knowing full well they are going up against some very expensive Transparent cables. 

The only problem I have to choose a termination and until I hear the Utopia's I can't. They seem to be out of stock certainly in this country. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #4,878 of 22,434
Is there something about the stock cable's sound that people feel the need to replace it?  
Or is it just to scratch the itch to tinker?  
Or does the fact that the name "alumiloy" makes you think WHAT ALUMINIUM? THAT'S NOT AS CONDUCTIVE AS COPPER OMG MUST REPLACE!

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #4,879 of 22,434
I'm using the stock Abyss cable seems fine to me ,
I tried a DHC awhile back and decided I liked the stock
abyss cable . Plus the Spore 4 Dual 3 pin XLR Felt like
I was using a garden hose which was a turn off .

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #4,882 of 22,434
I also use a stock cable..
I dont belive that other cable would be better ..in sound terms

Regards

Sisco

I believe that there are better cables out there for sure and I would be the 1st to buy one if I heard one I liked . Im just not going to drop 2000.00 without hearing it . Also it better be a day and night difference not I think it does sound a little better .

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,883 of 22,434
I just let my dad hear the Abyss for the first time, and played him Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman. It was just out of the Chord Mojo, nothing special, definitely not the Abyss at its best. The smile on his face, man he was groovin' hard. At the end of the day, thats what its all about, isn't it? I bought him a pair of Grado SR80's a year ago, and he loves them. However he said "man, I love my Grados, but.....its a bit of a difference isn't it.."

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,884 of 22,434

I believe that there are better cables out there for sure and I would be the 1st to buy one if I heard one I liked . Im just not going to drop 2000.00 without hearing it . Also it better be a day and night difference not I think it does sound a little better .

Once you have a decent amp and dac differences will never be night and day anymore.. you are really just fine tuning the sound.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #4,885 of 22,434
I have a good DAC and Amp on my 2 ch system and have no problem hearing a difference with cables . I'm sure it would be easier wth a hp rig . Also depends on the cables some don't have a big change in sound and some are huge .

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,886 of 22,434
I'm of the opinion that a lot of these night and day changes are massively overstated. Changing interconnects in my experience has only really caused subtle changes. Maybe night and day between an unshielded $5 cable and a properly shielded cable, but comparing silver litz and copper on my k10s and on my HP rig was noticeable, but I would never say huge.. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,887 of 22,434
I have a good DAC and Amp on my 2 ch system and have no problem hearing a difference with cables . I'm sure it would be easier wth a hp rig . Also depends on the cables some don't have a big change in sound and some are huge .

If you joined head fi to say this then you must feel quite strongly about it - So can you elaborate and tell us what components are in your system and specifically what interconnects have you found to be best in your system, and what is the terrible "night" comparison cable?  

I mean, the manufacturer of these headphones is primarily a cable company so I would have assumed that the cable would be something they could do right.  I dunno.  Just askin'.  Making conversation.  No trolling intended.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #4,888 of 22,434
  I'm of the opinion that a lot of these night and day changes are massively overstated. Changing interconnects in my experience has only really caused subtle changes. Maybe night and day between an unshielded $5 cable and a properly shielded cable, but comparing silver litz and copper on my k10s and on my HP rig was noticeable, but I would never say huge.. 

The problem with audio is that we all hear things differently. Secondly, we have different standards as to what constitute "day and night" differences.

In my experience, some cables do sound different (not necessarily good) and I can hear them quite clearly. The thing I learnt regarding cables is that an expensive cable need not necessarily mean a nice sounding cable. An inexpensive cable may be able to sound just as good as one that cost several times more. This is why it is always best to listen to the cable before making a decision. Unfortunately, many of us don't have that opportunity and have to rely on reviews to make that decision.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,889 of 22,434
I think I may have a bad cable with the Abyss. The music was never consistent, sounding from ok to dark, the treble would be one note, piercing or not be present at all. I tested this across several amplifiers and dacs to rule out any other components. The HE1000 would have layers upon layers of detail compared to the one note of the Abyss. This contradicted everything I have been reading. I assumed the fit was the issue and blamed it for the inconsistency.
After I sold the HEK I reterminated the Norne Zoetic cable as I wanted something shorter and a lot more flexible. The stock cable may be great but it's a pita to work with.
When I first listened with the zoetic I could not believe the difference, everything was perfect, the treble was easily better than the HEK or HD800SD and had all the information intact especially for songs I know very well. I may try to build some sort of adapter to test the JPS cable with the HD800 if they don't get sold in the meantime.

The last few days really showed what the Abyss is capable of. The first thing that comes to mind is a super HEK. The low end is just unbelievable and it actually does sound like subwoofer bass with the right tubes. The midrange I especially like for it's texture and presence. Comfort is better than anything I have had before. Even the HD800 feels like it clamps too hard compared to the Abyss which feels like it's floating. Yesterday I had the Abyss on for over 8 hours without any issues. This cannot be said for the HEK.

Currently I'm using the Stratus with great success, it easily bested the GSX-MK2 but I'm now contemplating getting the Moon 600i. If the Moon is better that the Stratus I would be sad to know I have to sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back