The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #4,021 of 22,434
I guess it's weird to think that I may end up liking up more than the LCD-4, I find the LCD-4 simply stunning.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #4,022 of 22,434
  I guess it's weird to think that I may end up liking up more than the LCD-4, I find the LCD-4 simply stunning.

Like many things in life, you can have a favorite and still appreciate and desire others.

I could be happy with one headphone ... but I'm happier with several.

"Just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean you can't look at the menu."

Which, for some reason, reminds me of a somewhat spacey friend of mine loudly exclaiming, "Just because I'm a vegetarian, doesn't mean I don't eat meat!"

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #4,023 of 22,434
Although I do agree with that, economically I need to find the one for me.

Right now I am extremely happy with the LCD-4, but am curious to give the Abyss a well deserved week or so.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #4,024 of 22,434

Right now I am extremely happy with the LCD-4, but am curious to give the Abyss a well deserved week or so.

I can understand that.

It's much easier to get into the music when you're not half-wondering if American Express has a hitman looking for you.

(I kid, entirely ... just part of a line I loved from a movie).

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #4,025 of 22,434

Nothing wrong with that, and at least you will know, I put off buying the Abyss for about 6 months originally, I could't get over the weird feeling, but within a couple of weeks I had got used to it and as others have pointed out, the magic is really in the setup and later for me the cables.

Things like the shorter headband made a huge difference as well as it stopped the pads from eating on top of my ears. You often see the manufacturers himself "Joe" on this forum and their support is the best in the industry by far. Its a good investment in a solid product.

I will PM you soon.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #4,026 of 22,434
I have to agree on the top of the class engagement and proactive support from Joe. :)

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #4,027 of 22,434
I can understand that.

It's much easier to get into the music when you're not half-wondering if American Express has a hitman looking for you.

(I kid, entirely ... just part of a line I loved from a movie).

Ain't that the truth.

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #4,028 of 22,434
I would be interested in views on whether the Abyss would pair well with the Chord Dave. My current headphone system is AK380/Dave/HE1000, and I also have the HD800. I've just tried the LCD-4 on loan for a week and might end up buying it even though it has an odd and exaggerated top end. But I returned it today as I wanted to hear the Abyss first before deciding. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,029 of 22,434
I would be interested in views on whether the Abyss would pair well with the Chord Dave. My current headphone system is AK380/Dave/HE1000, and I also have the HD800. I've just tried the LCD-4 on loan for a week and might end up buying it even though it has an odd and exaggerated top end. But I returned it today as I wanted to hear the Abyss first before deciding. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Very interesting to read your observations. Ive found the lcd4 has a very sweet signature sound in regards to the high frequencies and is not at all exaggerated. Quite the reverse.The abyss 1266 i found can be a little 'hotter' depending on the amp. I havent spent much, if any time with the dave, just hugo and hugo tt and they can both handle the abyss 1266 very well.

I wrote this recently and it might be of interest http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/highlights2/zardon/flagship-headphone-amplifier-round-up/

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4,030 of 22,434
Zardon, thanks. I'm not very experienced in using hifi terms to describe what I am hearing and I don't have much if any technical knowledge that is relevant here but I suspect I was hearing the same as Tyll Hertsens described hearing in his recent Inner Fidelity review of the LCD-4, describing a dip in the mid high frequencies and a bump right at the top. I certainly didn't notice this in every track but it was there on occasion and and once or twice was slightly uncomfortable to listen to. With the Abyss I am hoping to hear the same weight and control at the bottom end andwarm rich handling of female vocals in the mid range that I heard with the LCD-4 but a better behaved treble. Cheers

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,031 of 22,434
Zardon, thanks. I'm not very experienced in using hifi terms to describe what I am hearing and I don't have much if any technical knowledge that is relevant here but I suspect I was hearing the same as Tyll Hertsens described hearing in his recent Inner Fidelity review of the LCD-4, describing a dip in the mid high frequencies and a bump right at the top. I certainly didn't notice this in every track but it was there on occasion and and once or twice was slightly uncomfortable to listen to. With the Abyss I am hoping to hear the same weight and control at the bottom end andwarm rich handling of female vocals in the mid range that I heard with the LCD-4 but a better behaved treble. Cheers

Let me know how you get on, curious to hear what you think of the abyss 1266. I found lcd 4 100 ohm exhibited a slight accentuation but the 200ohm version seemed much smoother in my tests.... I actually prefer the he1000 to both of them overall (comfort, sq, etc) with the luxman p700u (he1000 need a high quality amp to get the most from them).

Only pairing better to my ears is the bhse and stax 009. Thats the joys with this, we all hear differently and want different things.

Best of luck in your testing!

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #4,032 of 22,434
Hello the forum,

Thats the joys with this, we all hear differently and want different things.

Really true.

The LCD4 are very well built cans and differ from the Audeze products line with their very good medium reproduction. High level rendering on l'Ariodante (Anne Sophie Mutter) or l'Orfeo (Jodi Savall).

Personally my main concern is to listen to large scale phalanxes playing Berlioz, Shostakovich , Mahler.
On this kind of tracks the LCD4 are acting like cans, head centered, and there is no other choice than Abyss or choose a speakers system.

BHSE and SR009 too detailed for the music style. Not enough sustained bass.

Cavalli, Chord TT or iFi micro DSD are good choices to drive the Abyss but lack of dynamics in the very quick transitions.

Actually found only the Egoista VIVA with its two 845 1000V tubes and 15W rms able to move the membranes at the desired levels. Velocity and transparency.

Perhaps the HeadTrip also ??

Here is my personal return regarding the Abyss.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #4,033 of 22,434
Yes
Hello the forum,

Really true.

The LCD4 are very well built cans and differ from the Audeze products line with their very good medium reproduction. High level rendering on l'Ariodante (Anne Sophie Mutter) or l'Orfeo (Jodi Savall).

Personally my main concern is to listen to large scale phalanxes playing Berlioz, Shostakovich , Mahler.
On this kind of tracks the LCD4 are acting like cans, head centered, and there is no other choice than Abyss or choose a speakers system.

Cavalli, Chord TT or iFi micro DSD are good choices to drive the Abyss but lack of dynamics in the very quick transitions.

Actually found only the Egoista VIVA with its two 845 1000V tubes and 15W rms able to move the membranes at the desired levels. Velocity and transparency.

Yes the HeadTrip and the Viva is the only dedicated Headamps on the market that can drive the Abyss to its fullest potential with about 18 watt per channel in 46Ohms of power on tap!

(I got a new (6 weeks old) HeadTrip (€5500 Euros) up for selling in favour for a speaker setup and a new car if someone is interested, then just place me a PM. )

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #4,034 of 22,434

Here is the class field for my HeadTrip if someone is interested of collect the best
Sounding Solid State headphone amps on the market:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804592/wells-audio-headtrip-headphone-balanced-class-a-amp-new/0_50#post_12492855

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,035 of 22,434
Hello the forum,

Really true.

just spellbound by the awesome gear you have, any chance of getting some photos for me to drool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back