The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3,466 of 22,434
Nice!!:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

LG = ??? AMP

You are meaning LC = Cavalli Liquid Carbon right?

LG = Cavalli Liquid Gold. Put one LC instead of LG in my original post. Now corrected. 

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,467 of 22,434
LG = Cavalli Liquid Gold. Put one LC instead of LG in my original post. Now corrected. 

Cheers!

I know :wink: , but you wrote further down in the text LC ?? A bit confusing, or do you own a LC also ? :grimacing::grimacing:

Quote: Good amp to the table if you want to fully realize the capability of the Abyss, which the LC does. To me it truly is a head speaker vs a head phone.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #3,469 of 22,434
No just the LG. Sorry for the confusion...meanwhile, just got the Superconductor HP cables in. Will need to spend some quality time with them before I can comment.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #3,470 of 22,434
It is absolutely necessary to make a good burn in of Superconductor, it is initially closed and congested, but when ready transforms the Abyss ...

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #3,471 of 22,434
No just the LG. Sorry for the confusion...meanwhile, just got the Superconductor HP cables in. Will need to spend some quality time with them before I can comment.

Very intresting on what your impressions would be, because im going to order the HP also if its turn out nicely and sound better than 4spore and the rest of the pack.

Is the HP cable in a dark blue textile or? , i have a hard time to see how it realy looks from the pictures.

And if the HP are much more stiffer/ rigid than the original ?

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3,475 of 22,434
  I had the chance to listen to the Abyss and Viva Egoista combination a couple of weeks ago. Being a WA234 owner and hearing the Viva may be rather close competition for it I was very keen to finally have a chance to listen and went in expecting great things. I can now sleep soundly with my choice of the 234's now though, I must admit while as a whole the Viva did sound good, it was no where near the level I had become accustomed to with the right tubes in the 234's. Don't get me wrong, the Viva did sound nice but compared to the 234's it was lacking in a number of key areas.
  Firstly was the transparency and texture of the music, the Egoista while having plenty of power sounded far too heavy handed and overpowering of the music. It lacked the finer details that the 234's could convey, the Egoista seemed to put its own veil on the music causing the tracks to start sounding overly similar. The sound had plenty of midrange and warmth, but it was over accentuated to the point of feeling bloated and smeared. Another thing that struck me was that the Viva, while certainly powerful, didn't have the same impact and speed that the 234's had. While the speed and impact is comparable between the Egoista and the 234's using the Cathode Output, when you switch the 234's to Plate Output the impact, speed and sheer energy of the sound takes a massive leap ahead of the Cathode and Egoista. Using the plate output can make the HEK almost as impactful as the Abyss when using the cathode output. Which is no small feat, while I prefer the transparency of the HEK the Abyss is indisputably the most impactful and energetic headphone out there.
  Compared to other amplifiers I've heard; Cavalli LAu, Cyper Labs Prautes,  Luxman P-700u, Schiit Ragnarok or owned WA5, Headamp GS-X MKII. The Viva Egoista does sound better overall. But when compared to the 234's with stock tubes they're about on par, the 234 being more refined,  the Egoista being more powerful. But roll in some good tubes to the 234's; EML 45's or 2A3's, some Elrog's or Takatsuki 300b's and some Takatsuki 274b's or Mullard Metal Base GZ34's, and the 234's are in another league.
  Another gripe I had with the Egoista is the heat that it runs at, now I expect tubes to run hot, but on the Egoista even the volume knob and rear terminals heat up to uncomfortable levels. When I had a listen the Egoista had been on for a couple of hours, while the volume knob wasn't painful to hold and use, it did get to the point where it would case a little discomfort when held onto for more than a couple seconds. Kind of like getting into a car that's been parked in the sun for a couple hours and grabbing the gear stick. It's not so hot as to burn you or stop you from changing gears. But it's not pleasant, you certainly wouldn't want to rest your hand there.

Also on a tangent I got to hear the Abyss using the new JPS Labs Super Conductor cable, it was an improvement over the stock cable. Though for my personal tastes I still do prefer the Spore4 cables with the Abyss from when I heard the pairing last. The ones I currently have are terminated to suit the HEK but I wish I had brought in my Abyss adaptors and Spore4 cable to do a proper side by side.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,476 of 22,434
Another great write up / comparison Matt, thanks.

I assume you're selling the 234 + DaVinci to fund the MSB Select purchase? :¬)

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,477 of 22,434
  Another great write up / comparison Matt, thanks.

I assume you're selling the 234 + DaVinci to fund the MSB Select purchase? :¬)

Hahaha, I wish that were the case! Unfortunately I may have to be taking a brief exit from the HiFi scene, I've brought a block of land and need to raise funds for a deposit on the new build as well as to do renovations on my current house to prepare it for rental. Though I'm currently looking at other financial alternatives. But all of them still require me moving my speakers and DAC to fund the renovations at least.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #3,478 of 22,434

Hahaha, I wish that were the case! Unfortunately I may have to be taking a brief exit from the HiFi scene, I've brought a block of land and need to raise funds for a deposit on the new build as well as to do renovations on my current house to prepare it for rental. Though I'm currently looking at other financial alternatives. But all of them still require me moving my speakers and DAC to fund the renovations at least.

Good luck with the builds!

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,479 of 22,434
We had the Egoista in our room at RMAF this year, as well as the Woo 234 and others. Both of these amps are the best of the best, and I agree that the 234 with top shelf tubes really does the Abyss justice. One thing to note though is the bloated, congested sound you heard from the Egoista. As with all headphone gear cables are critical to getting the best out, but with single ended amps, and in particular the Egoista, they are very particular of the AC cables. We went through 5 different JPS power cords on that amp, as well as on the source Sony HAP-Z1ES player, and man does that amp vary wildly with cords!

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,480 of 22,434
I heard the Egoista, Woo 234 and I have a preference for Egoista. Of course with high-end tubes as EML 45; Takatsuki 300b; Base Metal Mullard GZ34 yes Woo 234 impresses, though it lacks the dynamics egoista.
The original tubes of Egoista are not very good but the use of a BGRP 6SN7; Osram B 65; Psvan replica 845; 845 RCA; KR 845 we find the same level of transparency from 234 Woo.
Egoista heats enormously, far more than the 234 Woo.
Abyss + Egoista my favorite duo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back