The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #3,451 of 22,434
With the Superconductor you will listen to another Abyss... This cable needs several days of burn in before reveling all his power... Yes, I know it is a hi price cable, but I think you do not find nothing better...

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,453 of 22,434
I think that's probably in another currency. I can confirm that I have seen it for sale for around 2k USD. Thanks for the 2 cents. So the superconductor tops the 4 spore and the like, you think? 

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,454 of 22,434
Keep in mind that $3899 is AUD retail for the 1.8m, and prices on head fi are normally stated in USD...
If you go check the DHC site and see the spore4 from $999 it seems like a bargain - was almost ready to buy and try one myself until I did the math:
$999 is actually the complement4, spore4 is a $600 upgrade, 6ft cable is an extra $300 so we're at $1900, wouldn't surprise me if a courier was around the $100 mark so it's at 2k USD. Convert that to AUD and it's $2725. We have to pay GST and import duties on anything over $1000 so it ends up at around $3175 actual cost for me to buy their top level cable of the same length. Plus a 3 month wait.

If I was to buy a JPS SCHP cable locally and ask nicely, I could probably get it for closer to $3500 (which admittedly is still a bit more), but I wouldn't have to wait, I'd be able to demo it (and I'd probably go for the shorter length anyway which is $600 less). And if you buy into the whole idea of 'synergy' then you're buying a cable that has been specifically made to pair with the Abyss sound signature vs. a universal one made to go with anything.

I'm not in a position to spend $$$ on a cable upgrade at the moment anyway, but that was my thought process.
I think anyone who's seriously looking at a spore4 should consider the JPS cable as well because the price difference may not be as significant as it seems.

Don't know of anyone who has ordered multiple brands of aftermarket Abyss cables to compare though.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #3,455 of 22,434
mulder01's reasoning is sound.

In the US retail of the Superconductor HP cable set begins at $2200 for 1.2 meter/4 ft, add $400 for every 0.6 meter/ 2 ft., and in other countries add duties, taxes, and shipping to exchange rate.

Designing high performance audio cables from scratch is an art.

The Super HP is a larger stranded twisted pair, 3 times more conductor than the stock cable. Our Alumiloy conductor is not like copper or silver, it has unique properties. It's weight is not a factor so long as your not bridging 8 ft of cable in the air. The cable's overall weight was balanced out with lightweight materials to mate with the AB-1266.

This cable design cannot be made by machine so is hand assembled from the inside out. The outer jacket is composed of two materials, a soft tubular dielectric prevents vibration from traveling through the cable, and a soft woven outer jacket which further dampens resonances and prevents movement of the cable against the body from interfering with the sound. It's a soft quiet cable.

All of this is assembled properly, there are no heat shrinks on the outside of the cable, all strain reliefs are inside the connectors. This is not easy to make, particularly with the mini 3 pin connectors at the headphone end (which is why you see aftermarket cable guys having ~10 centimeters of heat shrink at the headphone, making the cable stiff and giving it leverage to pull the headphone). While labor intensive, we have the assembly down.

The clarity level of this cable is excellent, yet it does not get bright, a dramatic resolution increase to which the AB-1266 just begs for more.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,456 of 22,434
mulder01's reasoning is sound.

In the US retail of the Superconductor HP cable set begins at $2200 for 1.2 meter/4 ft, add $400 for every 0.6 meter/ 2 ft., and in other countries add duties, taxes, and shipping to exchange rate.

Designing high performance audio cables from scratch is an art.

The Super HP is a larger stranded twisted pair, 3 times more conductor than the stock cable. Our Alumiloy conductor is not like copper or silver, it has unique properties. It's weight is not a factor so long as your not bridging 8 ft of cable in the air. The cable's overall weight was balanced out with lightweight materials to mate with the AB-1266.

This cable design cannot be made by machine so is hand assembled from the inside out. The outer jacket is composed of two materials, a soft tubular dielectric prevents vibration from traveling through the cable, and a soft woven outer jacket which further dampens resonances and prevents movement of the cable against the body from interfering with the sound. It's a soft quiet cable.

All of this is assembled properly, there are no heat shrinks on the outside of the cable, all strain reliefs are inside the connectors. This is not easy to make, particularly with the mini 3 pin connectors at the headphone end (which is why you see aftermarket cable guys having ~10 centimeters of heat shrink at the headphone, making the cable stiff and giving it leverage to pull the headphone). While labor intensive, we have the assembly down.

The clarity level of this cable is excellent, yet it does not get bright, a dramatic resolution increase to which the AB-1266 just begs for more.

Joe,

Where can we buy one of these cables in the US?

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,458 of 22,434
We need to flush this out... Where the hell does this come from?

I'm with Peter here.

I think the ABYSS reproduce INSANE bass - in a good way, and they got sparkly up-top.
It's just, for me, they lack soul in the most vital part of the audible spectrum: the midrange!!

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 10, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #3,459 of 22,434
The mids comment?

I think some people like their mids a bit more 'in-your-face'.  Personally, I think you hear just as much detail but it's presented in a more relaxed way rather than aggressively - which is how I prefer it.  I suppose if you have conditioned your hearing to be used to something like the hd800, mids would seem recessed by comparison.

My guess anyway.  

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #3,460 of 22,434
I'm still waiting for the new Goldmund THA2 to tell you how it goes with the Abyss binaural listening, I will also HE 1000, which everyone says have one of the medium's most beautiful, and engaging music, fantastic female voices, they say.
I will tell you so if the average of the Abyss comparing face just so disgusting. Both headsets will be made in express terms to the maximum, Goldmund THA2, Viva 845, Vitus SCD 025, wiring Nordost Odin, Abyss with Superconductor cable. See you soon...

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #3,461 of 22,434
Mids were never a standout feature of the Abyss for me; that was occupied by bass and soundstage. 

That changed entirely with the Moon 600i. It quite literally transformed them. Mids are now delicious and smooth, as is the treble. Holographic sound now. No fatigue whatsoever on AC/DC or Van Morrison albums (great tests for such). The Abyss with the Ragnarok (and Hugo) was not a pleasant experience, I literally couldn't listen to Van Morrison without feeling abused.

I can imagine certain high end tube amplifiers having the same effect; VIVA 2A3/845 and Woo 5/234.

(FWIW The 600i outperforms the Eddie Current 2A3MK4 with better controlled dynamic power. The EC was quite bloomy, edges seemed to bleed at higher volumes.)

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,464 of 22,434
About the mids:

Firstly my Abyss are new, so I reserve the right to change these comments a bit. Only 34 hours to date but continue to burn in on my new LG which is also burning in with 100 hours so far. I have been A/B testing between the Abyss and the HEK. The Abyss using the 4 pin XLR, because I bought the light version with an eye towards getting the Superconductor HP. The HEK using one of the SE outputs. I will go to the 4 pin for the HEK and two 3 pin XLR's when my loaner Superconductor gets here. First I believe I have the Abyss fit dialed in pretty well but I did have to us the "zip tie" mod, but using 2 zip ties on each side to keep the headphones centered on my head. Using only one zip tie makes the frame tilt forward or backward depending on how you installed them. Anyway, back to initial impressions.The HEK is a fantastic sounding headphone on the LG. Instruments and vocals are very close and intimate, but also placed very well around the sound stage. The base is there and quite good, for a headphone. When switching to the Abyss, first thing noticed is little to no clamping pressure, and the soundstage is pushed out further than HEK's. This also pushes out the instruments and vocals, and at the same time introduces the delicious almost edible bass that only the Abyss can deliver. If you have never heard a properly fitted Abyss in the quite setting that only your home listening area can deliver, that bass at first I think tends to dominate everything that you were hearing in any other headphone, not just the HEK. Mostly because it's a new sensation that no other HP can deliver. Giving the sensation of what some are perceiving as a "recessed" mid range. I also have to increase the volume about 4 to 5 points to bring the sound level up to what I perceive as the same level as the HEK. Which in turn brings the midrange and instruments back in a bit. Still not as close as the HEK, but I really like it. I am listening to every kind of music I can dig up. With the exception of Country and Classical. BTW I am using the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse's remote volume output level control as a pre instead of turning the dial on the LG. Let's me see in digit form exactly how much more volume level I need between the two.

So, far I don't have too many complaints about the Abyss, aside from fiddling with the fit for so long. But it is something that must be done to deliver the sound that the Abyss is capable of. And as many have said, you really need to bring a good amp to the table if you want to fully realize the capability of the Abyss, which the LG does. To me it truly is a head speaker vs a head phone. And sounds accordingly. I've only ever heard one speaker deliver the kind of detail and intimacy a top flight headphone system can deliver, and they were around 250K backed up by appropriately priced sources and amplification. The Abyss brings both worlds as close together as possible to date I think. Still a lot of listening to do as burn in continues. Having a lot of fun with the process.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #3,465 of 22,434
About the mids:

Firstly my Abyss are new, so I reserve the right to change these comments a bit. Only 34 hours to date but continue to burn in on my new LG which is also burning in with 100 hours so far. I have been A/B testing between the Abyss and the HEK. The Abyss using the 4 pin XLR, because I bought the light version with an eye towards getting the Superconductor HP. The HEK using one of the SE outputs. I will go to the 4 pin for the HEK and two 3 pin XLR's when my loaner Superconductor gets here. First I believe I have the Abyss fit dialed in pretty well but I did have to us the "zip tie" mod, but using 2 zip ties on each side to keep the headphones centered on my head. Using only one zip tie makes the frame tilt forward or backward depending on how you installed them. Anyway, back to initial impressions.The HEK is a fantastic sounding headphone on the LG. Instruments and vocals are very close and intimate, but also placed very well around the sound stage. The base is there and quite good, for a headphone. When switching to the Abyss, first thing noticed is little to no clamping pressure, and the soundstage is pushed out further than HEK's. This also pushes out the instruments and vocals, and at the same time introduces the delicious almost edible bass that only the Abyss can deliver. If you have never heard a properly fitted Abyss in the quite setting that only your home listening area can deliver, that bass at first I think tends to dominate everything that you were hearing in any other headphone, not just the HEK. Mostly because it's a new sensation that no other HP can deliver. Giving the sensation of what some are perceiving as a "recessed" mid range. I also have to increase the volume about 4 to 5 points to bring the sound level up to what I perceive as the same level as the HEK. Which in turn brings the midrange and instruments back in a bit. Still not as close as the HEK, but I really like it. I am listening to every kind of music I can dig up. With the exception of Country and Classical. BTW I am using the Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse's remote volume output level control as a pre instead of turning the dial on the LG. Let's me see in digit form exactly how much more volume level I need between the two.

So, far I don't have too many complaints about the Abyss, aside from fiddling with the fit for so long. But it is something that must be done to deliver the sound that the Abyss is capable of. And as many have said, you really need to bring a good amp to the table if you want to fully realize the capability of the Abyss, which the LC does. To me it truly is a head speaker vs a head phone. And sounds accordingly. I've only ever heard one speaker deliver the kind of detail and intimacy a top flight headphone system can deliver, and they were around 250K backed up by appropriately priced sources and amplification. The Abyss brings both worlds as close together as possible to date I think. Still a lot of listening to do as burn in continues. Having a lot of fun with the process.

Nice!!:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

LG = ??? AMP

You are meaning LC = Cavalli Liquid Carbon right?

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back