The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,038 of 22,434
Has anyone tried this headphone with the Auralic Vega/Taurus MK2 setup? Does that setup bring out the best of this headphone like LAu?

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,039 of 22,434
Sunday morning set Up

Source : AK 240 through LINE OUT
Desktop Amp : Mass Ko Bo 394 full balance HP amp
Gain : High
Volume : Max 11 - 13
Headphone : Abyss 1266
Cable : Centrance RCA to 6,3 mm plus 6,3 mm to mini plug Furutech

My impression

High : very clean, Clear and best clarity and better presence compare With Other Amps , is similar to mynStax SR 007
Mid : very sweet Clear abd clean midrange With very Good pronounce so effortless
Bass : The best Bass i Ever heard from Abyss pair With Mass Ko Bo , very Deep detail and very Good bass impact
Separation : excellent separation This is on par With Stax SR 007 mk2
Soundstage : very Wide and very Good Depth is like In very big concert hall
Background : very black background / very quiet

Overall :

Abyss best Synergy pair With Mass Ko Bo 394 , i can hear The Max potential from My Abyss now , The clarity almost like Stax headphone , very sweet and intimate sounding mid With better pronounce and clarity , that i can hear how The sanger breath very noticeable .the plus Point Abyss pair With Mass Kobo is teh strong And very Deep bass reproduction
I Ever heard on headphone , and very clean sounding. Bass too With very well controlled bass Speed
Even though With The source Only AK 240 has so excellent sound quality .
If i pair With High End Transport and DAC , Mass Kobo can produce even better
My friend Said like High End home Set Up 50 K USD hahaha
IMO

How is the mass ko Bo with the HD800's and wow those are beautiful wires!!!

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,040 of 22,434
How is the mass ko Bo with the HD800's and wow those are beautiful wires!!!

IMO Mass Kobo 394 pairs extremely well with the HD800, easily one of the best SS amp pairing. The treble really knocked me out, lots of detail and extension, clean but musical while not sounding over bright. All these while maintaining excellent bass control and engagement. Having used the ALO SS for the pass 6 months with the HD800, the 394 really exceeded my expectation.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,041 of 22,434
FWIW an overview of the Abyss headphone for normal people.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/big-spender-5-500-headphones-204810652.html

Alluded to the HD800, and compared it to the Beats (I am not kidding).

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,044 of 22,434
  Hi Hun7er,

Thanks much for your explanations.

I would hold your comments this: Abyss, a kind of super HD 800 (as, for example, the estat Sennheiser Orpheus HE-90 ?) 
wink.gif

It is flattering to the HD 800 which in the opinion of many is a very good headphones, especially when it is well amplified with a good synergy (as, for example, with the amp RKV)

Eric

i happen to approach difficulties in finding any review or forums on comparing 
 Audio-Valve RKV Mk.II to cavalli gold or masskobo 394 or woo audio ,making an appeal please come on someone and share your experience 

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,045 of 22,434
Spent 3 hours on mass kobo 394 this weekend, it is an amazing amp when paired with hd 650s, hd 800s and T1s. Did not have a pair of abyss to try out but will do so soon. The kobo has beautiful highs and touching mids, music flows out with a sense of ease, bass are refined but not quite deep. It's an all-rounder for high impedance headphones. Taking into account its small footprint, it's a superb amp, very much impressed!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,046 of 22,434
IMO Mass Kobo 394 pairs extremely well with the HD800, easily one of the best SS amp pairing. The treble really knocked me out, lots of detail and extension, clean but musical while not sounding over bright. All these while maintaining excellent bass control and engagement. Having used the ALO SS for the pass 6 months with the HD800, the 394 really exceeded my expectation.

I am totally agree With Your impression hole:beerchug:out

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,047 of 22,434

Just to reiterate, would you say 394 pair better with HD800 than ALO SS?

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,048 of 22,434
I really can't say which is a better pairing with the HD800. ALO SS, to me, sounded organic with a slight touch of warm that can draw me into the music hours on end; 394 is downright exciting and neutral sounding. I love both depending on the mood I'm in.

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,049 of 22,434
I want share my impression abyss 1266 vs LCD 3 with Crystal cable Diamond Reference

Source : AK 240
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo
Headphone :
Abyss 1266 with stock cable
LCD 3 Fazor with Crystal Cable Diamond Reference
Cable : Sys Concept optical cable

High :
Abyss : very clean extended high with better high presentation and has better clarity
LCD 3 Fazor Fazor : very good but not so clean and less clarity compare to Abyss

Mid :
Abyss : very clean and natural sounding mid that we can hear how the Sanger breath very clear
Very deep clear mid
LCD 3 Fazor : is creamy mid and has thicker mid , but not so clean as Abyss

Bass :
Abyss : the best bass reproduction from headphone I ever heard
Very good in detail and very deep and clean bass ,very good bass speed
And very good bass impact
LCD 3 Fazor : very good bass reproduction and very deep too , the speed not as fast as what abyss done
And not so clean as Abyss

Separation :
Abyss : has the best music separation on par with Stax Sr 009
LCD 3 Fazor : very good separation not as good as Abyss

Soundstage :
Abyss : very Wide and very Deep presentation like In big concert hall
LCD 3 Fazor : Wide and very Good Depth like In small concert hall / jazz studio recording

Black background :
Abyss : has very black background , so Far on par With stax SR 009
LCD 3 Fazor : has little bit background noise

IMO

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,050 of 22,434
  Can anyone compare to HD800?are they worth the extra cash?

IMO they're two very different sounding headphones, I've previously owned the PS1000 and HD800, out of the two the Abyss are more like the grado's. A fun lively listen, they're still incredibly detailed and well extended but the HD's have a slight edge in soundstage width. Imaging and bass impact on the Abyss is the best I've heard and the Abyss out of my WA5 with KR 300B's, Sylvania bad boys and Full Music 274b/n/+ tubes is the best listening in terms of detail and overall enjoyment that I've ever had.
  The only other system I've spent an amount of time with that can somewhat compare is my speaker setup. Recently got a pair of Vienna Acoustic Klimt the Kiss speakers which I'm feeding from a pair of Auralic Meraks directly connected to my Vega DAC. The sound signature is very similar, engaging, detailed and impactful. Yet the Abyss has the Kiss beat in every aspect except physical bass impact, the Abyss has more bass weight, extension and is more visceral but it obviously cant go shaking the floor or chairs... Sound staging is actually about as good just different positioning, with the kiss your in the audience a few rows back, with the Abyss your on the stage, you can hear everything happening around you. Very well placed and spaced.
  As to whether you feel its worth it is up to you, for me it was well worth it, enough to sell my PS1000's, HD800's and only use my T1's for portable use... Even made me upgrade my speakers because my previous Zu Audio Soul Supreme's just didn't cut it anymore, and they still have the Vienna's beat.
  Though if you liked the HD800 sound I'd also have a look at the SR009 as an endgame alternative. The Abyss is for those who want detail and extension but not at the expense of musicality. The SR009 is for those who want the final word in detail, though I haven't spent much time with the SR009 so take this with a grain of salt.

Can I ask if anyone in Australia will reveal what they actually paid for a pair of these?  I know the retail is $6699 but what could you actually expect to get them for?

I got mine from A2A for about $6200, cant remember the exact price. Though you may be able to get them cheaper depending on payment method, I payed with Visa, Amex is charged more, direct deposit charged less. Though if your a good, repeat customer they'll usually wave the card fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back