The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #14,521 of 22,562
i agree with others.. empyrean build quality, looks and comfort is up there with the best, that new colourway they just revealed is sexy as well but the sound quality is noway near a TOTL headphone like the 1266tc

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #14,522 of 22,562
i agree with others.. empyrean build quality, looks and comfort is up there with the best, that new colourway they just revealed is sexy as well but the sound quality is noway near a TOTL headphone like the 1266tc
Not true. I disagree completely. I own both and the empy is every ohm as good as the 1266 tc phi.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #14,523 of 22,562
While I really like the Susvara and the LCD4, the Abyss is still the King of headphones for me. Absolutely fantastic headphone. I listened to the brand new Devin Townsend acoustic live album tonight, and it's like being in the audience. Just awesome.

The Empyrean was my first love, super comfortable and pretty. But not in the same league in terms of sound, in my experience.

Let's see what you decide!
The empy is just as good as the TC imho.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #14,524 of 22,562
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #14,526 of 22,562
Nah it works just fine.
Then your ears are bad or you are exaggerating. If you think the empys are as capable as the TC, something is not right. That's all I can say.

It's fair to say you enjoy them both as much as the other...nobody can argue with that.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #14,527 of 22,562
Then your ears are bad or you are exaggerating. If you think the empys are as capable as the TC, something is not right. That's all I can say.
Well I'm listening to the empys right now and not the tcs. And my ears are just fine. Exaggerating? Well maybe there's some embellishment in there as all of this is subjective. So yes, just my opinion. But I'd sell the tcs and keep the empys if I had to choose. I just listened to Depeche Mode's 101 in it's entirety on the empys and it sounded divine, but I couldn't do the whole album with the tcs unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #14,528 of 22,562
Well I'm listening to the empys right now and not the tcs. And my ears are just fine. Exaggerating? Well maybe there's some embellishment in there as all of this is subjective. So yes, just my opinion. But I'd sell the tcs and keep the empys if I had to choose. I just listened to Depeche Mode's 101 in it's entirety on the empys and it sounded divine, but I couldn't do the whole album with the tcs unfortunately.
:thumbsup: to each their own...

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #14,529 of 22,562
Sorry but Bryston AMP is not good synergy with 1266.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #14,530 of 22,562
Sorry but Bryston AMP is not good synergy with 1266.
That's just not true. It has ample power and sounds good. I wouldn't have any other amp and it was sold to me by the same dealer as the abyss (Simcoe Audio in Barrie Ontario. I actually bought two of the Bryston BHA1s from them. A rock solid amplifier with 6 class A amps in it). They recommend them highly together. Bryston is my end game and I love their gear. And don't get me wrong, I like my tcs and I'm quite happy with them.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #14,532 of 22,562
I evaluated the Empy against the Ether 2 and concluded that the Ether 2 was the better headphone, although it was close. The Abyss is clearly better than either of them to my ears, not even the same league.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #14,533 of 22,562
Not true. I disagree completely. I own both and the empy is every ohm as good as the 1266 tc phi.
I would say that would be a distinct minority opinion...I won the TC and owned the empyrean for a short period of time and to be honest IMHO there is no comparison but hey if the empy is your cup of tea enjoy it...lots of people here just say things for effect

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #14,534 of 22,562
You are the first and probably only person to ever say this :beyersmile:

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #14,535 of 22,562
After a disastrous day.. I needed that belly laugh!
lol yeah
I would say that would be a distinct minority opinion...I won the TC and owned the empyrean for a short period of time and to be honest IMHO there is no comparison but hey if the empy is your cup of tea enjoy it...lots of people here just say things for effect
Thanks, I did not mean to troll the thread or say it for effect. That was not my intention. Good point though. I suppose my opinion arises from listening to enough poorly recorded and/or bright albums which the empys smooth over. Perhaps just treble sensitivity.
But on material like Above and Beyond, or NIN, the tcs really shine with their energy and clarity. I'm actually lucky to own both. To split hairs between them is really my first world problem and is insignificant. Now back to the listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back