The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #13,248 of 22,561
I own the TC and couldnt imagine needing more bass

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #13,249 of 22,561
Well... I’ve tried again. I’ve added an actual subwoofer to the line outs of my amplifier. After tweaking the settings and crossover... I think it will remain a permanent addition and compliment to my TCs. The bass that the 1266 can produce can be some times jaw dropping. But I never really get that visceral feeling of a 2.1 loudspeaker setup... All that changed today.

I was searching the classifieds and found an incredible deal on a Paradigm Seismic 12... $150! This is the same sub I use in my 7.1 setup. So I figured I’d give it a go with my headphone setup. I am very glad I did. I’ve been messing with a Woojer Edge recently to try to recreate the missing visceral feeling of sub bass when listening to Dolby Atmos (Smyth Realiser) movies on my TCs. The Woojer is a cool device.... but I just found it be more of a novelty... and my wife said that I now looked even more ridiculous. :frowning2:

Adding an actual sub fills in the gaps of the 1266’s missing sub bass very nicely. When listening to music, I have the gain on the amplifier set to where the LFE of the sub is barely audible. And because of the 1266’s open design... the sub adds just enough visceral pressure and thump to complete my headphone listening experience.

Check this (very clean recording) track out with you TCs and with a 2.0 or 2.1 loudspeaker setup... I think you will agree that we are indeed missing the sound and "feel" of LFE. With my current headphone setup and the Smyth Realiser... I may never need to listen to my loudspeakers again.

Screenshot_20210109-165522_TIDAL.jpg

https://tidal.com/track/116440527
Doesn't this defeat the object and advantage of using headphones with having a subwoofer bumping away whilst you have your headphones on......hilarious ! :k701smile:

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #13,250 of 22,561
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #13,254 of 22,561
Doesn't this defeat the object and advantage of using headphones with having a subwoofer bumping away whilst you have your headphones on......hilarious ! :k701smile:
Adding an actual sub fills in the gaps of the 1266’s missing sub bass very nicely. When listening to music, I have the gain on the amplifier set to where the LFE of the sub is barely audible. And because of the 1266’s open design... the sub adds just enough visceral pressure and thump to complete my headphone listening experience.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #13,255 of 22,561
I think I will play through my speakers whilst I am also listening with my headphones....just in case I need a bit more treble, midrange, bass and oooo don't forget the out of the head soundstage....Lol :o2smile: :k701smile: :o2smile: :beyersmile:

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #13,256 of 22,561
I think I will play through my speakers whilst I am also listening with my headphones....just in case I need a bit more treble, midrange, bass and oooo don't forget the out of the head soundstage....Lol :o2smile: :k701smile: :o2smile: :beyersmile:
Closed minded much?

Thanks for the mockery.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #13,258 of 22,561
While I don't think the TC needs anymore bass, I will say there is something special about the physical presence of really powerful subs. If you enjoy it, go for it. Forget what everyone else thinks. Thanks for sharing an alternative solution.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #13,259 of 22,561
My 2 channel setup includes GoldenEar Triton Reference speakers. They can produce bass down to 12 Hz before roll off. Those are a totally different experience from headphones. Of course nothing subtle about them. Or quite.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back