The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #13,231 of 22,525
For those of you using the XIAUDIO Formula S, what gain setting is the right one for the 1266 ø TC?

I use the high gain setting

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #13,232 of 22,525
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #13,233 of 22,525
the formula s/powerman is worthy of the A+ given in the video...it is the best solid state amp I have heard

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #13,235 of 22,525
Violectric V281 and their new offering, the V590 should be included in the review.

Maybe a separate review with speaker amps as well. With the ones I’ve tried, they take the 1266 to another level.
I think it's mostly just gear they have in-house and have partnerships with.

Although they did leave the Bartok off, which is likely the best headamp they have/had.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #13,236 of 22,525
Gear just arrived. Thanks to the Abyss folks for moving so fast to get me the hardware in record time!

Listening to my music on this is breathtaking. The drivers are still clearly getting used to me as it seems to be getting better and better over the course of the day. Had a couple tear jerkers already :sweat_smile:

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #13,237 of 22,525
Violectric V281 and their new offering, the V590 should be included in the review.

Maybe a separate review with speaker amps as well. With the ones I’ve tried, they take the 1266 to another level.
I have the V281 and the Formula S, minus the Powerman at the moment, and their performance is eerily similar. Without the Powerman, the V281 is right there from a sound and performance standpoint. The bass output is about the same. The Formula S does dig a tad bit deeper, but detail and definition are on par with each other. It’s the midrange where they start to differ. The Formula S has a slightly more forward, fuller sounding midrange. The V281 has more upper midrange/lower treble presence giving it a more airy, open presentation. This gives the TC’s such a huge, wide open soundstage. It’s so detailed and the resolution is other worldly. Imaging is incredible on the TC/V281 pairing. This performance matches the Formula S minus the Powerman. I fully believe once I have the Powerman attached to the Formula S it will easily pull ahead. I can’t wait to add it.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #13,238 of 22,525
I owned the 281 and at first had the formula s without the powerman and I tend to agree they were close with the formula s a bit better...once I added the powerman it was like a new amp....eerily quiet....wider..detailed...best amp with the abyss tc I have yet heard and great with susvara as well...I suppose you can get better but the cost is prohibitive...the powerman is a must add on

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #13,239 of 22,525
I owned the 281 and at first had the formula s without the powerman and I tend to agree they were close with the formula s a bit better...once I added the powerman it was like a new amp....eerily quiet....wider..detailed...best amp with the abyss tc I have yet heard and great with susvara as well...I suppose you can get better but the cost is prohibitive...the powerman is a must add on
I am liking what I am hearing with the Formula S. It already edges out the V281 performance wise on its own without the Powerman. I'm watering at mouth to hear what the Powerman will do for the Formula S.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #13,240 of 22,525
Thank you so much for this! For reference let me copy it here, with grades:

Amplifier​
AB-1266 TierVideo
XIAUDIO Broadway
A
1:38
XIAUDIO Broadway S
B
2:17
Benchmark HPA4
3:13
XIAUDIO Formula S
A (with Powerman A+)​
4:08
iFi Micro iDSD Black Label
C
6:11
HeadAmp GS-X Mini
A
8:03
HeadAmp GS-X mk2
C
9:21
Cavalli Liquid Spark
B
Woo Audio WA33 “JPS Edition”
A+
Woo Audio WA33 Elite Edition
A
Woo Audio WA33 Standard
A
Wells Audio Headtrip II
A
Audiovalve Solaris
B
THX AAA 789
D
Topping A90
B
Moon Audio 430A
B
iFi xCAN
C
JDS EL Amp II
B
Woo Audio WA11
C
Woo Audio WA5-LE
B

Note that Woo Audio doesn’t offer a single variant of WA33 called “JPS Edition.” Instead, there are two JPS variants: “Standard + JPS Wires,” and “Elite Edition + JPS Wires.”
Great comparison. Thank you Abyss.

Would be great to see how the Trafomatic Audio Primavera would compare ? From pro internet reviews I think it would be at least an "A" most probably an "A+"

Also the Hifiman EF-1000 (official partnering amp for the Susvara) would also be another great contender especially as it's one of the most powerful headphone amps on the commercial market at the moment and it's a hybrid amp (best of both worlds for overall sound and performance).

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #13,241 of 22,525
Good amplification always starts with a good power supply. An amp design can never sound any better than the quality of its power supply allows it to.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #13,242 of 22,525
Good amplification always starts with a good power supply. An amp design can never sound any better than the quality of its power supply allows it to.

That is also true for the servers, DACs and Network switches.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #13,243 of 22,525
thats why the formula s sounds like a different amp with the powerman added, night and day improvement

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #13,244 of 22,525
Well... I’ve tried again. I’ve added an actual subwoofer to the line outs of my amplifier. After tweaking the settings and crossover... I think it will remain a permanent addition and compliment to my TCs. The bass that the 1266 can produce can be some times jaw dropping. But I never really get that visceral feeling of a 2.1 loudspeaker setup... All that changed today.

I was searching the classifieds and found an incredible deal on a Paradigm Seismic 12... $150! This is the same sub I use in my 7.1 setup. So I figured I’d give it a go with my headphone setup. I am very glad I did. I’ve been messing with a Woojer Edge recently to try to recreate the missing visceral feeling of sub bass when listening to Dolby Atmos (Smyth Realiser) movies on my TCs. The Woojer is a cool device.... but I just found it be more of a novelty... and my wife said that I now looked even more ridiculous. :frowning2:

Adding an actual sub fills in the gaps of the 1266’s missing sub bass very nicely. When listening to music, I have the gain on the amplifier set to where the LFE of the sub is barely audible. And because of the 1266’s open design... the sub adds just enough visceral pressure and thump to complete my headphone listening experience.

Check this (very clean recording) track out with you TCs and with a 2.0 or 2.1 loudspeaker setup... I think you will agree that we are indeed missing the sound and "feel" of LFE. With my current headphone setup and the Smyth Realiser... I may never need to listen to my loudspeakers again.

Screenshot_20210109-165522_TIDAL.jpg

https://tidal.com/track/116440527

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #13,245 of 22,525
a subwoofer for the TC?....seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back