The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #13,156 of 22,406
Nice. Great Amp.
It truly is, I just hate I waited so long to get one. The sound signature of the V281 is just about perfect for all of my headphones. The control is has over the drivers, the bass heft, wide soundstage, airy treble, and weighted sound is amazing.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #13,158 of 22,406
Experiment with the gain setttings. You will find that one of them for your set up I’ll give you bigger and deeper soundstage. It maybe be “0”. There were threads about this along time ago on the Violectric forums.
Unfortunately, the TC's needs more power than the unity gain setting. For the majority of my headphones that would be fine. I was actually using the -6 dB setting to get some play on the volume dial. The V281 is a very powerful and extremely detailed amp. Even at the +6 dB setting I'm using for the TC's, the soundstage is deep, wide and holographic. I love this thing. It maintains the TT2's transparency levels as well.

I'll be getting a XI Audio Formula S soon. I want to see how it will compare to it. We shall see......

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #13,159 of 22,406
Unfortunately, the TC's needs more power than the unity gain setting. For the majority of my headphones that would be fine. I was actually using the -6 dB setting to get some play on the volume dial. The V281 is a very powerful and extremely detailed amp. Even at the +6 dB setting I'm using for the TC's, the soundstage is deep, wide and holographic. I love this thing. It maintains the TT2's transparency levels as well.

I'll be getting a XI Audio Formula S soon. I want to see how it will compare to it. We shall see......

it also depends on the output voltage of the DACnd if your using balances or single ended interconnects.

I used the V281 prior to my speaker amp. I listened at -6db and 0. I set it so that the listening level was at about 12:00.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #13,160 of 22,406
it also depends on the output voltage of the DACnd if your using balances or single ended interconnects.

I used the V281 prior to my speaker amp. I listened at -6db and 0. I set it so that the listening level was at about 12:00.
At +6 dB on the V281 I’m at about 1 o’clock on the volume dial with the TC’s. I suppose at unity gain, ”0”, I could get a bit more play on the volume dial. In DAC mode on the TT2, it outputs 2.5 volts. I could go variable out by putting the TT2 into AMP mode and low gain. But so far, I like what I’m hearing at +6 dB.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #13,161 of 22,406
I love listening to Burson Conductor 3XR with Sparko op amps installed. I find it pumps out the bass really good.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #13,162 of 22,406
I briefly owned the 281 and used it with my dave at -3 and I literally had to turn down to -6 to listen without too much volume so go figure

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #13,163 of 22,406
Try it both ways and see which sounds better. I have mine hooked up to the 8 ohm tap, but have tried it on the 4 ohm and it didn’t sound as good.

My amp has the same output of power regardless of which tap I use.

How many watts is your amp? I wouldn’t be concerned of doing any damage as long as you do everything safely. I know someone from this forum that is using an amp that’s 250w into 8 ohms.
Thanks for you response! I'm just trying them out on my newly received Doge 10 tube amp primarily bought for my speakers, which I believe sends 60wpc into 8 ohms. I suppose a higher resistance would halve the power output so it would probably make more sense to use the 8ohm taps than the 4ohm so that less power is pushed to the headphones making it safer? Or is that not even a factor when connecting 47ohm headphones?... I'm not very good at understanding how everything converts mathematically so I don't really know.. but I am making sure to do the hooking up process correctly and safely starting at very low volumes

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #13,164 of 22,406
Thanks for you response! I'm just trying them out on my newly received Doge 10 tube amp primarily bought for my speakers, which I believe sends 60wpc into 8 ohms. I suppose a higher resistance would halve the power output so it would probably make more sense to use the 8ohm taps than the 4ohm so that less power is pushed to the headphones making it safer? Or is that not even a factor when connecting 47ohm headphones?... I'm not very good at understanding how everything converts mathematically so I don't really know.. but I am making sure to do the hooking up process correctly and safely starting at very low volumes

Make sure amp on last, and off first.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #13,166 of 22,406
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #13,168 of 22,406
For me i like 1266 TC more than Susvara especially in metal music.
Now post this in the Susvara thread... :)

I agree but still like rotating the headphones for a different experience. Both fantastic headphones imo.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #13,169 of 22,406

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back