The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #13,173 of 22,392
Has anyone had any experience using the Abyss 1266 Phi with a Bakoon R13 amplifier.Any help appreciated.Thanks
I owned the bakoon 13r and I own the formula s/powerman...the 13r is excellent and a terrific convenient size but if you are looking for an amp for the abyss TC the formula s combo is better

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #13,174 of 22,392
Still quite sharp, i heard SC cable will smooth highs but it still cost 2600$...

In my experience, the SC hasn't attenuated the high frequencies, which instead have more micro details. However, even with the stock cable, I didn't experience any annoying or tiring high frequencies. I would like to look elsewhere in the setup for bothersome acute problems, like interconnect cables, etc. or RFI / EMI disturbances.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #13,175 of 22,392
Still quite sharp, i heard SC cable will smooth highs but it still cost 2600$...
If the highs are bright or sharp then something in your system is causing it. I received my brand new 1266 TC yesterday, and sound quality is fantastic right out of the box. So far, I've only tried driving them with my solid state Luxman P700u (4.2 W/ch), but I'll try them on my vacuum tube Auris Nirvana later today. Out of the Luxman, the 1266 TC exhibits no brightness at all, a very big soundstage, excellent imaging and natural tonality. Vocals and piano, two of the most difficult tones to get right, sound pure and natural. The bass is articulate and well extended. I have no complaints with my 1266TC even though they're not fully burned in. I think the stock cables on the 1266 TC are fine and that's coming from a person that has never used stock cables on a headphone (I've owned quite a few headphones) that has replaceable cables. If you want the SC cables, that's fine, but I don't think the stock cable is the source of your issues.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #13,176 of 22,392
If the highs are bright or sharp then something in your system is causing it. I received my brand new 1266 TC yesterday, and sound quality is fantastic right out of the box. So far, I've only tried driving them with my solid state Luxman P700u (4.2 W/ch), but I'll try them on my vacuum tube Auris Nirvana later today. Out of the Luxman, the 1266 TC exhibits no brightness at all, a very big soundstage, excellent imaging and natural tonality. Vocals and piano, two of the most difficult tones to get right, sound pure and natural. The bass is articulate and well extended. I have no complaints with my 1266TC even though they're not fully burned in. I think the stock cables on the 1266 TC are fine and that's coming from a person that has never used stock cables on a headphone (I've owned quite a few headphones) that has replaceable cables. If you want the SC cables, that's fine, but I don't think the stock cable is the source of your issues.
The Luxman is hardly neutral, and one could argue it's warmish and a bit soft, so I don't think yours is a totally fair assessment. I've heard the sharpness he speaks of on plenty of amps and different cables. It can definitely be exacerbated by upstream gear, but it isn't necessarily because of it. It's inherent in the design IMO.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #13,177 of 22,392
The Luxman is hardly neutral, and one could argue it's warmish and a bit soft, so I don't think yours is a totally fair assessment. I've heard the sharpness he speaks of on plenty of amps and different cables. It can definitely be exacerbated by upstream gear, but it isn't necessarily because of it. It's inherent in the design IMO.

Spot on regarding the Luxman as well as the rest of your post.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #13,178 of 22,392
in general I find that HP's like the TC or susvara or utopia that are incredibly detailed can sound bright depending on the source...I am using the dave/blu2 with my TC and it can sound bright with poorly recorded recordings but in general sounds marvelous

Dec 27, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #13,179 of 22,392
Well if that's the case, then the Luxman is a synergistic match for the TC because it sounds great. No softness detected with the Luxman driving the TC. I would agree that the Luxman sounds soft on the Susvara but not on the TC. I'll be trying my Auris Nirvana tonight on the TC. The Nirvana is much better than the Luxman on the Susvara. The Nirvana isn't soft sounding on the Susvara, it's a very dynamic combination, with a holographic soundstage. I'll soon find out how the Nirvana/TC combo sounds.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #13,180 of 22,392
Well if that's the case, then the Luxman is a synergistic match for the TC because it sounds great. No softness detected with the Luxman driving the TC. I would agree that the Luxman sounds soft on the Susvara but not on the TC. I'll be trying my Auris Nirvana tonight on the TC. The Nirvana is much better than the Luxman on the Susvara. The Nirvana isn't soft sounding on the Susvara, it's a very dynamic combination, with a holographic soundstage. I'll soon find out how the Nirvana/TC combo sounds.
thats probably the 6.5watts vs the 4.2watt. The Susvara are power hungry..

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #13,181 of 22,392
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #13,182 of 22,392
The Nirvana with the recent tubes I rolled in, sounds great with the TC. No issues with the high frequencies or any other part of the sound spectrum. I've been fiddling with the set-up of these headphones (I already watched Joe's 2 videos on set up and tuning) but I think I got it dialed in at least for now. I have close to 50 hours on it and I'll continue to burn them in for several days. I was concerned before getting the TC about comfort but I haven't has any issues wearing them for several hours at a time.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #13,184 of 22,392
Happy New Year guys!

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back