The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #13,096 of 22,434
@paradoxper Wanted to take this a step further so I put on a metal album through the WA6 Gen 1 - headphones more than loud enough, no detail lost.
After that I plugged them in to an AudioQuest Cobalt into my iPhone - again enough power to drive them and sounds great. The volume is almost all the way up, which is JUST about too loud for me.

At this point, I'm starting to think these headphones are pretty damned easy to drive so I plug them directly into the headphone to lightning adapter with no additional amplification and AGAIN - I'm still getting great sounding output with these headphones. The volume is all the way maxed out so in this configuration, I could be maybe missing something but honestly it sounds pretty damned good to me still.

I'm not complaining about the industry because they gave me advice I didn't like - the industry gave me a non-answer based on marketing fluff, period.

Are these headphones harder to drive than Airpods? Sure. Do they require a nuclear reactor to drive them? Think again.
While this may be true, it's not just about getting the volume high enough. There's a huge difference in the sound quality that you'll definitely be able to hear with these headphones if you provide it better power.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #13,097 of 22,434
While this may be true, it's not just about getting the volume high enough. There's a huge difference in the sound quality that you'll definitely be able to hear with these headphones if you provide it better power.

I believe it and agree having (more than) enough power makes for a better experience but I also think there must be some specification or some data point that will illuminate what defines that better sound quality and not having that data is what is objectively frustrating.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #13,098 of 22,434
I believe it and agree having (more than) enough power makes for a better experience but I also think there must be some specification or some data point that will illuminate what defines that better sound quality and not having that data is what is objectively frustrating.

I guess the same applies for audiophile cables, power cords, racks, feet and ethernet switches etc etc..

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #13,099 of 22,434

Theres a saying. You don’t know what you don’t know.

Not only is there a huge difference in sound quality with more power, but there’s more to it than that. It’s everything else that goes along with a good quality amp such as the power supply, and other components inside the amp. If not, then every amp with the same power output with sound exactly the same.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #13,100 of 22,434
you are correct in everything you say....lots of the discussions about amps and power requirements are purely subjective thus making the whole discussion frustrating...personally I have heard my susvara and abyss TC sound better through amps rated as less powerful than amps more powerful...for instance my formula s/powerman combo outputs 6 watts /16ohms and to my ears sounds better than numerous other amps I have listened to that have specs telling me they should be more powerful and better for these inefficient HP's...I too find it all very confusing and have come to the conclusion that there is a minimum amount of power needed for these HP's and after that it all becomes subjective...if you meet the minimum then it is a matter of what you like or dont like
Yes it is subjective but have to say my original Cavalli Liquid Carbon drives my OG’s much better than the Monoprice Liquid Platinum and the THX 789 while both say they are 6 watts for close to the impedance they are a bit of hollow sounding ( sold the THX but kept the Platinum as it is nice with my Verites) the Carbon while with less stated power just sounds so much better but still my choice is the Master 9.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #13,102 of 22,434
Yes it is subjective but have to say my original Cavalli Liquid Carbon drives my OG’s much better than the Monoprice Liquid Platinum and the THX 789 while both say they are 6 watts for close to the impedance they are a bit of hollow sounding ( sold the THX but kept the Platinum as it is nice with my Verites) the Carbon while with less stated power just sounds so much better but still my choice is the Master 9.
nobody I know here suggests an amp of the same power specs that cost 10% of another will be equal...just that they both can drive the HP satisfactorily

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #13,103 of 22,434
nobody I know here suggests an amp of the same power specs that cost 10% of another will be equal...just that they both can drive the HP satisfactorily
Not for for sure what you mean by that? I was just saying my Liquid Carbon would drive the Abyss well but the higher powered Monoprice Liquid Platinum and Drop THX 789 would not do as well.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #13,104 of 22,434
I mean that a 6k amp witj the same power output as one costing 600 dollars will not be equal

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #13,105 of 22,434
I mean that a 6k amp witj the same power output as one costing 600 dollars will not be equal
Wait just a minute. Even though that 6k amp has nothing short of $600 in parts. :laughing: :deadhorse:

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #13,106 of 22,434
yes because you can say that about any component, car, tv, camera etc

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #13,108 of 22,434
Hello all!

Does anyone know if the 1266's connector pinout makes it compatible with other headphone cables? Perhaps Audeze cables maybe? ZMF?

Edit: Oops! I just noticed that the 1266 is a 3-pin and these other headphones are 4-pin. Damn, I really wanted to try other cables that I have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back