The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #13,051 of 22,406
Received my 1266 TC's couple of days ago and tried them with my TT2 by using the supplied 1/4" jack adapter cable.
Sound was nicely detailed, but lacked all the dynamics and impact. Clearly no where near enough juice to power these monsters.
So I ordered couple of Neutrik 3-pin female XLR connectors and my plan is to just re-terminate the stock cable to use TT2's rear connectors. I think any adapter cable would just degrade/alter the sound quality.
Hopefully this will improve my listening experience. I'll report back what I find out.

:thumbsup:Good for you. I've ordered a pair almost a month ago but still waiting. Maybe will get it around Christmas.

I plan to do same as you: The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #13,052 of 22,406
Received my 1266 TC's couple of days ago and tried them with my TT2 by using the supplied 1/4" jack adapter cable.
Sound was nicely detailed, but lacked all the dynamics and impact. Clearly no where near enough juice to power these monsters.
So I ordered couple of Neutrik 3-pin female XLR connectors and my plan is to just re-terminate the stock cable to use TT2's rear connectors. I think any adapter cable would just degrade/alter the sound quality.
Hopefully this will improve my listening experience. I'll report back what I find out.
I'm interested to see what your experience is. I spoke to 3 other users who love the TT2+1266 TC combo via the balanced rear output. I have the TT2 as well and had been on the fence about picking up the TCs until they reassured me that the TT2 balanced was completely up to the task.

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #13,053 of 22,406
I'm interested to see what your experience is. I spoke to 3 other users who love the TT2+1266 TC combo via the balanced rear output. I have the TT2 as well and had been on the fence about picking up the TCs until they reassured me that the TT2 balanced was completely up to the task.
Just get the TToby Power Amp to go with your TT2 and be done with it (along with the M Scaler) !

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #13,055 of 22,406
My "aftermarket" o-ring just snapped. :deadhorse:

That never happened once with the old headband. Luckily, I have many spare o-rings to replace it with. :L3000:

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #13,056 of 22,406

That never happened once with the old headband. Luckily, I have many spare o-rings to replace it with. :L3000:
Haha. After how long! Was that 16 days? :joy:

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #13,058 of 22,406
Haha. After how long! Was that 16 days? :joy:
Hahaha...basically. At least it can be replaced easily though. Somebody needs to make some "audiophile" O-rings :beyersmile:

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #13,059 of 22,406
Hahaha...basically. At least it can be replaced easily though. Somebody needs to make some "audiophile" O-rings :beyersmile:
Boys need to lube up before going in!
Ethylene propylene is purported to be good for compression use. That is still a rather quick failure.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #13,060 of 22,406
I did the dumb thing and ordered this recently (thank you Tesla's stock gains) instead of keeping those gains in the market. Hopefully the pair will arrive before christmas,. and hopefully the Yggdrasil / Ragnarok are good pairings with this. I have a Verite Closed that was supposed to be the end-game, but alas the open TOTL started to claw at me.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #13,061 of 22,406
I did the dumb thing and ordered this recently (thank you Tesla's stock gains) instead of keeping those gains in the market. Hopefully the pair will arrive before christmas,. and hopefully the Yggdrasil / Ragnarok are good pairings with this. I have a Verite Closed that was supposed to be the end-game, but alas the open TOTL started to claw at me.
Closed headphones can never be end-game in the complete headphone world. Only in the "closed" headphone world ! Open headphones will always be superior in the audiophile world to closed headphones where we are trying to reach reality real world music sound nirvana !

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #13,063 of 22,406
Exactly as you say--that itch was crawling up my spine. Happy Christmas/holidays ya'll. Now that I think on it, I imagine I won't get them until the new year, but will post my impressions once I get them.
ZMF Verite Open if you like the sound signature of the closed.

Or just go the whole hog in the headphone world and buy the HiFiMan Susvara or Abyss 1266 especially of you have a good speaker amp to connect them too that is connected to a good DAC !

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #13,064 of 22,406

LOL, I'm not an engineer or a physicist nor do I play one on TV, but I believe "O" rings were not invented to act as rubber bands being stretched in the horizontal but more like gaskets used to compress in the vertical creating a seal. So...extra "O" rings for the Abyss should be S.O.P. That's the genius part about the new headband design.

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #13,065 of 22,406
Hi, I also received my TC a couple days ago and am using mine with a TT2 via the rear XLRs. Almost night and day difference w/r/t dynamics and bass impact w/ good cohesion across the rest of the spectrum compared to the 1/4” on the front. Still getting the fit down, but trust me the back XLRs offer a substantial improvement. I got my adapter from Moon Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back