The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #12,976 of 22,596
I got my amp this afternoon and hocked up the 1266.... HOLY COW!!!
Is this real? Because it can’t be.
The 1266 makes every headphones on earth sounds broken!
I know what I am talking about. Let me share a little about myself, so you know where I come from. Few years ago I used to own Focal Utopia, LCD 4, HD800S, HE1000 and many other cheap/mainstream headphones HD650, AKG, B&W, Meze...etc. All powered by SimAudio 430.
One day I decided to sell all my gear and started building a 2 channel system. I am talking 100k system. Recently decided to go back to headphones and wanted to get the LCD4 again because I used to like the bass of Audeze. But after getting spoiled with my 2 channel system, the LCD4 sounded claustrophobic and shi#. Spent many hours searching for a good headphones that mimics the performance of my 2 channel system. Few friends recommend the1266.
Holy cow I am glad that I listened to them. The LCD sounds muffled compared to the 1266, the HD800 sounds broken compared to the1266, the Hifiman sounds dead and emotionless compared to the 1266.
The best thing about the 1266 is the decay ❤❤❤❤
After that comes the bass oh holy moly the bass is the BEST bass ever. I like to toe the 1266 forward and keep a good space from the back, this position mimics my 2 channel system.
Not quite sure if the 1266 requires burn in, also not sure if investing in a new cable will make any difference.
My advice, to appreciate the 1266 you should listen to all top tier headphones then listen to the 1266. This is the best way to realize how all other headphones sound like garbage!!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #12,977 of 22,596
I know what I am talking about. Let me share a little about myself, so you know where I come from. Few years ago I used to own Focal Utopia, LCD 4, HD800S, HE1000 and many other cheap/mainstream headphones HD650, AKG, B&W, Meze...etc. All powered by SimAudio 430.
One day I decided to sell all my gear and started building a 2 channel system. I am talking 100k system. Recently decided to go back to headphones and wanted to get the LCD4 again because I used to like the bass of Audeze. But after getting spoiled with my 2 channel system, the LCD4 sounded claustrophobic and shi#. Spent many hours searching for a good headphones that mimics the performance of my 2 channel system. Few friends recommend the1266.
Holy cow I am glad that I listened to them. The LCD sounds muffled compared to the 1266, the HD800 sounds broken compared to the1266, the Hifiman sounds dead and emotionless compared to the 1266.
After that comes the bass oh holy moly the bass is the BEST bass ever. I like to toe the 1266 forward and keep a good space from the back, this position mimics my 2 channel system.
Not quite sure if the 1266 requires burn in, also not sure if investing in a new cable will make any difference.
My advice, to appreciate the 1266 you should listen to all top tier headphones then listen to the 1266. This is the best way to realize how all other headphones sound like garbage!!
What headphone amp

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #12,978 of 22,596
Well i hope my Lazuli Utra will sound similar.
vonBaron, I just purchased a Lazuli Ultra last night after initially wanting to get the Lazuli Reference hp cable for my Focal Utopia SKU’s. Vinh Vu at Gingko Audio offered me a broken-in 2m Ultra with a 4-pin Furutech connector at $500 off list price bc somebody wanted their Nirvana cable instead. My music source is a MacBook Pro > AQ Jitterbug > AQ Diamond USB > Chord Hugo TT2 DAC > AQ Earth XLR’s > Woo Audio WA22 headphone amplifier > Focal Utopia SKU’s using this new Lazuli Ultra hp cable. I use JRiver media to play my 16/44 CD files, and I stream Hi-res, FLAC and some DSD recordings thru ROON, Audirvana, and Qobuz.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #12,979 of 22,596
A great upgrade cable is the Superconductor HP.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #12,980 of 22,596
Just to throw it out there, those looking for an affordable(cheap)amp to get started with. One that will drive the TC, HE6, LCD-4 or the like, the Emotiva A-100 integrated amp works well. Not saying it is the end all of amps, just a nice affordable place to start while you save for a nice amp. With jumper installed(or removed I don't remember) it puts the full power to single ended headphone jack.
  • Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
    (requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
    8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
    33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
    47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
    150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
    300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
    600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel
From Emotiva site.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #12,982 of 22,596
What Stax did you or do you have? I have been curious about the 009s. I have the TC and LCD4. Just got a BHSE for my Voce and am considering a 009s to compliment my other headphones.
And there is no such thing as too many headphones. :jecklinsmile: I have sold off several myself however lately. Of course now I'm thinking of buying new ones. Oh the fun of being an audiophile.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #12,983 of 22,596
What Stax did you or do you have? I have been curious about the 009s. I have the TC and LCD4. Just got a BHSE for my Voce and am considering a 009s to compliment my other headphones.
And there is no such thing as too many headphones. :jecklinsmile: I have sold off several myself however lately. Of course now I'm thinking of buying new ones. Oh the fun of being an audiophile.
009 , 007mk1, phenomenon libratum and canorum, eslabs es1a, voce. Running a t2, a pair of carbons and have a regular kgsshv. I think the abyss sounds better.. lol

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #12,984 of 22,596
This is the best way to realize how all other headphones sound like garbage!!
I'm really glad you're enjoying your TC so much, but to say "all other headphones sound like garbage" is extreme and uncalled for.
I also don't understand what "you know what you're talking about" means? You may believe this, which is fine for you, but may not be for everyone else. It all comes down to ones personal enjoyment and sound preference. And yes, I've heard all versions of the 1266 (in home on my own gear) and did enjoy their presentation, but chose to not buy them due to my personal preferences.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #12,985 of 22,596
Let him be excited about his new purchase

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #12,987 of 22,596
Most of us are probably a little obnoxious about our favorite(new) purchase. At least that's what my wife says whenever I get a new amp or headphone.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #12,988 of 22,596
Let him be excited about his new purchase
Most of us are probably a little obnoxious about our favorite(new) purchase. At least that's what my wife says whenever I get a new amp or headphone.
My intention weren't to attack, and I did say that I was glad and I sincerely meant it.
I also understand the excitement of new headphone & gear, but to say all other headphones are "garbage" is again, uncalled for.
:beerchug:

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #12,989 of 22,596
This is the US OF A so freedom to speak your mind. I don't mind that he has an opinion to other headphones that are negative to him. But for the other countries this could be a sad day.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #12,990 of 22,596
This is the US OF A so freedom to speak your mind. I don't mind that he has an opinion to other headphones that are negative to him. But for the other countries this could be a sad day.
I don't mind that anyone has their own opinions / preferences which we're all certainly entitled too, but again, "garbage"?
If this is the case then @Sonic Guild should throw away the other 11 headphones that are listed. I didn't post to cause a debate. I posted because "garbage" was definitely extreme and uncalled for, and certainly far from the truth. I'm done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back