The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #10,805 of 22,511
finally got a replacement cable for the ridiculously annoying stock cable. Synergistic Research Foundation--highly recommended.

I’m wondering how it compares to the stock cable and the Superconductor cable

May 12, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #10,806 of 22,511
I’m wondering how it compares to the stock cable and the Superconductor cable

i’ve never heard their headphone cable, but have use their power cable, digital cable, and interconnects. a few times in the past. They are usually musically sounding, but definitely have their own sound signature.(color).

I was going to try their outlets, but I got tired of screwing around with my system

May 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #10,808 of 22,511
May 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #10,809 of 22,511
I must admit that I am pretty much a Noob on amp specs, output power and headphone requirements. I do know that the ab-1266 tc requires a lot of power, but I am not sure in which technical data this translates. Abyss states the following parameters:
  • Impedance: 47 ohms nominal
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB/mW
Any amp is described with output power and voltage. For example, the iCan Pro has an power output of 16 ohms, with balanced 14,000mW. Output Voltage is 600 Ohms with balanced >23 V . Could anybody explain the relationships here? My specific question is, can the ab-1266 tc be driven with an amp producing 2 x 1W @ 1kHz under 32 Ω? Sorry if you think these questions are basic, for me they are not. Thanks for your help

May 12, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #10,811 of 22,511
finally got a replacement cable for the ridiculously annoying stock cable. Synergistic Research Foundation--highly recommended.
funny, of all the stock cables I have ever owned the abyss 1266 is by far the best

May 12, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #10,813 of 22,511
Abyss stock cable is one of the best stock cables given imo.

@Roasty I got my Room's stand after seeing yours and am quite happy though it is quite expensive. My previous experience of Room stands were a bad one since I got the wooden version. The wood chipped off easily and felt build was really cheap for the price.

This Abyss one is made out of steel throughout and was pleasantly surprised as the wooden version also was too light. Overall pretty happy but wish price was little cheaper.

I got it from the same source you got it from. Good guy to work with, and was in communication from begin to end.

Attachments

• 1589322014537485999173648359882.jpg
    1589322014537485999173648359882.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #10,815 of 22,511
Abyss cable sounds great but it's a nightmare ergonomically. Did not want to replace it because of sound.

What cable are you using @F208Frank?
I am using the superconductor cable by abyss. When comparing to stock, they are both good in their own ways and I can live with either. The SC cable is def expensive for what it is but...

at the same time though, these smaller headphone manufacturers do not sell enough volume of their headphones to make a lavish living of any kind with all their expenses so I see it as a way to support them furthur by "thanking them" for making the TC. Joe and his two sons are really likable so that helps too.

I used to automatically think headphone companies selling expensive headphones making a killing, but after some digging around not really.

If they did not have passion for it and commit, it would be much more efficient to make money elsewhere. (Strictly talking about smaller manufacturers)

With that said though the headphone price creep over time to current day is bit crazy, never did we think headphones would cost the same as a pair of extremely capable speakers.

Unfortunate how it works but it is what it is, not to mention our government printing out more and more fiat money, making all our hard earned money worth less and less. Save that for different discussion lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back