The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #10,547 of 22,406
measurements won't tell you how any audio product sounds playing music. Measurements are performed using test tones, typically 1kHz.

TC is even more transparent than Phi CC. Both are superior to the original 1266.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #10,548 of 22,406
Whatever the demerits of measurements may be, they certainly communicate more useful information than someone else's personal opinion when you likely have different tastes, listen to different music, etc. For example, what one person would call "bass-lite" another person would call "neutral." Correlating that to the numbers on the graph is really the only way to allow the two of them to communicate anything meaningful. The graph would show you that they aren't disagreeing over the actual properties of the headphone, they just have different tastes in how much bass volume one should have. I'm not trying to argue about measurements, just find out if anyone knows where any are... That said, the biggest reason I'm interested in the Abyss is I'm personally convinced soundstage is the one trait headphones differ in that doesn't show up in FR at all, and drivers held away at a distance deliver more of it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #10,549 of 22,406
Well, who would've thought it? Abyss Phi TC is sounding GREAT from Schiit Jotunheim R (for Raal SR1a) IF driven via DIY 4-pin female XLR to 4-pin female XLR adapter (different pinout than normal headphones). This is the regular Jotunheim reworked to deal with Raal's extremely low impedance and need for high current delivery, so perhaps low impedance planars that thrive on current do well here. :)

0408201821 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #10,550 of 22,406
Well, who would've thought it? Abyss Phi TC is sounding GREAT from Schiit Jotunheim R (for Raal SR1a) IF driven via DIY 4-pin female XLR to 4-pin female XLR adapter (different pinout than normal headphones). This is the regular Jotunheim reworked to deal with Raal's extremely low impedance and need for high current delivery, so perhaps low impedance planars that thrive on current do well here. :)

0408201821 by drjlo2, on Flickr
Well well. How better is it than the other AMPs that cost below and above $1K for Abyss? If this is very good I might replace my BasX for it. Leave a review here if you can.

What’s funny is that I completed overlooked this pairing. JR (I don’t own it yet but I heard it) is priced pretty good for what it’s offering.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #10,551 of 22,406
Well well. How better is it than the other AMPs that cost below and above $1K for Abyss? If this is very good I might replace my BasX for it. Leave a review here if you can.

What’s funny is that I completed overlooked this pairing. JR (I don’t own it yet but I heard it) is priced pretty good for what it’s offering.

I asked Schiit if this was safe, and they said it won't hurt anything but "not recommended" due to low wattage developed by Jot R relative to Jot despite gobs of current Jot R generates. However, Abyss/Jot R is able to get as loud as I want with authority. Abyss/Jot R combo is sounding good enough that I am going back and forth with Raal/JotR and shaking my head. I sure wish I had a regular Jotunheim here to compare, but I can't keep buying more and more stuff this month...

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #10,553 of 22,406
I asked Schiit if this was safe, and they said it won't hurt anything but "not recommended" due to low wattage developed by Jot R relative to Jot despite gobs of current Jot R generates. However, Abyss/Jot R is able to get as loud as I want with authority. Abyss/Jot R combo is sounding good enough that I am going back and forth with Raal/JotR and shaking my head. I sure wish I had a regular Jotunheim here to compare, but I can't keep buying more and more stuff this month...
Thanks for that. Would using an adapter help to deal with the wattage issue (I’m not an expert, so I might have misunderstood it)? Sound quality better than any AMPs that cost over $1K from your experience?

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #10,554 of 22,406
could a benchmark HPA4 drive these headphones well?
Most definitely. I used hpa4 with great results. Joe from Abyss also praises that pairing.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #10,555 of 22,406
Apr 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #10,556 of 22,406
Apr 11, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #10,557 of 22,406
the amp has the exact same power rating as the formula s/powerman which was built to be ised with the abyss TC ....and the formula s also works great with the susvara FWIIW

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #10,558 of 22,406
the amp has the exact same power rating as the formula s/powerman which was built to be ised with the abyss TC ....and the formula s also works great with the susvara FWIIW

Much prefer the aesthetics of the HPA4 :relieved:

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #10,559 of 22,406
I'd have to agree there. The build looks much more polished on the HPA4.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #10,560 of 22,406
the build on the formula s while little flash is very solid and well built

Users who are viewing this thread

Back