The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #8,476 of 22,447
Any critical listening comparisons between the new phi 1266 TC and Hifiman Susvara. Would consider running from Dave/Mscaler plus a good speaker amp like Pass Labs XA25 or Benchmark AHB2.
What I could say is both has its good area of presentation. In my system, susvara has more bass quantity while 1266 tc has more quality based. Imaging, TC is better. Sound stage TC is better.
If you listen to classical and want a very detailed presentation, 1266tc will be your choice. If you are looking for something relax and musical, susvara will be your choice.
Two headphones have very different presentation in every songs, it really depends what you like most. I found 1266 tc is more rational and susvara more musical.
You can get most of the details from 1266 tc while susvara focus on the whole picture of the music. I can say is that this a very different style of playback. I enjoy to keep both headphones in my system.

However, I think there might have some headphones that can replace susvara in that type of presentation like empyrean, or the new spirit torino ragnarr(heard from someone saying that its a very good one but i haven't heard of it).
I think 1266 tc style of presentation is irreplaceable by other headphones, because it has its uniqueness of imaging, which is a very speaker like one.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #8,477 of 22,447
The TC is a bigger presentation....bigger soundstage, more grunt....more bass....the susvara is more intimate but still expansive ....incredible detail and perfect for jazz and acoustic music...these are IMHO the 2 best HP's available and one cannot go wrong with either one.....with the proper source they both expose more of the music than i ever thought possible....i know technology marches on but I have trouble imagining what comes next that is appreciably better

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #8,479 of 22,447
Does a2a not have them on demo? I was hoping to hear one next to a Diana Phi when I am down there in a couple of weeks...
I was at their Sydney store recently and they carry everything but Abyss for some reason. Was hoping Melbourne would be different.

They definitely do and I have been there a couple of months back.
But what I was hoping to try is listen to a different amp.
Addicted to audio don’t hold many high end amps anymore and it seems like they are slowly winding down the summit fi category.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #8,481 of 22,447
I recently got my Abyss 1266 Phi TCs. I was coming from a Focal Utopia, Senn HD800, and Fostex 900mk2 background (I still have all of them, which I used to compare with for the TCs). I was looking for something that had the clarity of the Utopias, but with the bass of the th900Mk2s. While the 1266 Phi TCs don't give me as much bass as the TH900mks (at least not with my unbroken-in TCs, the stock cable, and a Chord Hugo TT2), they give me more bass than the Utopias, with the same type of clarity as the Utopia, with a bigger soundstage.

I listened to the TCs all day yesterday and today, and I am very impressed. Aside from the awkward loose fitting, and it taking me so long to figure out how to make them fit properly (I finally realized I had to bend the frame out a bit, due to my big head), these headphones sound amazing, and are well worth the money. I tried my Utopias again, for comparison, and they no longer sound as good as I had thought prior to listening to the TCs. I know it's still too early to properly analyze the headphones, but after listening to the TCs, I'm not sure I am going to find a need to use the Utopias or HD800s. The TCs have the clarity of the Utopias, with a similar sound stage as the HD800s, with more bass. The TCs are not at Fostex TH900MK2 level bass, but they are still very satisfying. Perhaps a new cable (probably a Danacables Lazuili Reference, which I like a lot on my Utopias) will give me a bit more bass. But, if they don't I'll still be happy.

For Hip-Hop, I'll still stick with the Fostex TH900mks, but for everything else, I will probably use the 1266 Phi TCs.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #8,482 of 22,447
For Hip-Hop, I'll still stick with the Fostex TH900mks, but for everything else, I will probably use the 1266 Phi TCs

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your new TCs...

I sold my TH900s to help fund my purchase of the 1266 CCs... The CCs are incredible headphones... But I do miss the real slam and thump of the TH900s! Which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma... Do I spend the $1750 to upgrade my CCs to TCs or do I just buy another pair of TH900s?

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #8,484 of 22,447
I recently got my Abyss 1266 Phi TCs. I was coming from a Focal Utopia, Senn HD800, and Fostex 900mk2 background (I still have all of them, which I used to compare with for the TCs). I was looking for something that had the clarity of the Utopias, but with the bass of the th900Mk2s. While the 1266 Phi TCs don't give me as much bass as the TH900mks (at least not with my unbroken-in TCs, the stock cable, and a Chord Hugo TT2), they give me more bass than the Utopias, with the same type of clarity as the Utopia, with a bigger soundstage.

I listened to the TCs all day yesterday and today, and I am very impressed. Aside from the awkward loose fitting, and it taking me so long to figure out how to make them fit properly (I finally realized I had to bend the frame out a bit, due to my big head), these headphones sound amazing, and are well worth the money. I tried my Utopias again, for comparison, and they no longer sound as good as I had thought prior to listening to the TCs. I know it's still too early to properly analyze the headphones, but after listening to the TCs, I'm not sure I am going to find a need to use the Utopias or HD800s. The TCs have the clarity of the Utopias, with a similar sound stage as the HD800s, with more bass. The TCs are not at Fostex TH900MK2 level bass, but they are still very satisfying. Perhaps a new cable (probably a Danacables Lazuili Reference, which I like a lot on my Utopias) will give me a bit more bass. But, if they don't I'll still be happy.

For Hip-Hop, I'll still stick with the Fostex TH900mks, but for everything else, I will probably use the 1266 Phi TCs.

I do have the TH900mk2 and the Phi CC, and to me even though the Phi CC doesn’t give as much quantity in bass, it is definitely a step up in bass quality. I find that the Phi CC’s sub bass reaches lower while the bass hits harder and cleaner.

I really enjoy the TH900mk2 with my portable sources (ibasso DX220) as they are so easy to drive.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #8,485 of 22,447
I've been having a ball playing different genres with my TCs. For all of you into metal, the latest Origin album (Abiogensis) sounds ridiculously good. Compared to my Utopia's, the treble doesn't actually bother me, and I actually think it sounds amazing. I love these new headphones

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #8,486 of 22,447
Anyone hear got to compare the TC to the RaaL ?

This was my reply to someone who PMed me a similar question to compare TC, Susvara and SR1a:

Susvara: Richest/thickest tonality due to its forward midrange. Most toned down treble. Lowest resolution/speed of the three, smallest soundstage but images better than Abyss TC.

Abyss TC: Slight V-shape, find myself turning up the volume to compensate for the perceived thinness in the midrange. Highest bass impact (The bass on all 3 are extremely high quality) by a significant margin. Treble feels a little exaggerated but I find it quite addictive. Second largest soundstage but does not image as well as Susvara/SR1a. Resolution/speed is impressive, close to SR1a. There is some cup coloration in the sound, I can't quite describe it but it becomes very apparent when A/Bing with the SR1a.

SR1a: Tonality very balanced. Most neutral and natural sounding to me. Soundstage and imaging far exceeding that of Susvara and Abyss TC. Most resolving.

All three are top tier headphones I could be happy with but the SR1a comes out ahead. The caveat is that its performance is extremely dependent on upstream gear. A cheapo 100wpc class D amplifier with outdated modules is not gonna cut it.

Disclaimer: Susvara/Abyss TC driven by the Cayin HA-300 amplifier. SR1a is driven by Rogue Audio RP-7 + Stereo 100 Preamp/Amp combo. The Rogue Audio stack is twice the price of the Cayin and does sound better to my ears.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #8,487 of 22,447
This was my reply to someone who PMed me a similar question to compare TC, Susvara and SR1a:

Susvara: Richest/thickest tonality due to its forward midrange. Most toned down treble. Lowest resolution/speed of the three, smallest soundstage but images better than Abyss TC.

Abyss TC: Slight V-shape, find myself turning up the volume to compensate for the perceived thinness in the midrange. Highest bass impact (The bass on all 3 are extremely high quality) by a significant margin. Treble feels a little exaggerated but I find it quite addictive. Second largest soundstage but does not image as well as Susvara/SR1a. Resolution/speed is impressive, close to SR1a. There is some cup coloration in the sound, I can't quite describe it but it becomes very apparent when A/Bing with the SR1a.

SR1a: Tonality very balanced. Most neutral and natural sounding to me. Soundstage and imaging far exceeding that of Susvara and Abyss TC. Most resolving.

All three are top tier headphones I could be happy with but the SR1a comes out ahead. The caveat is that its performance is extremely dependent on upstream gear. A cheapo 100wpc class D amplifier with outdated modules is not gonna cut it.

Disclaimer: Susvara/Abyss TC driven by the Cayin HA-300 amplifier. SR1a is driven by Rogue Audio RP-7 + Stereo 100 Preamp/Amp combo. The Rogue Audio stack is twice the price of the Cayin and does sound better to my ears.

Awesome. Thanks for the write up.

How's the bass on the Sr? Also I've read another review which indicates the Sr is harsh. Your thoughts on this?

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #8,488 of 22,447

How's the bass on the Sr? Also I've read another review which indicates the Sr is harsh. Your thoughts on this?
My question also.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #8,489 of 22,447

SR1a bass is very punchy, textured and extends deep. Bass quantity is good enough for me. It doesn't hit as hard as Abyss TC, no headphone I know does.
I'm not hearing any harshness. There's an ease/effortlessness to the sound of the SR1a. Those reports of harshness probably came from poor upstream components.

Jul 12, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #8,490 of 22,447

I might be slammed here, but the Original AB 1266 gave you way more bass then the current drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back