The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #8,446 of 22,374
Nice setup. A question. It appears your AC umbilical reaches okay with that side to side placement of Formula S and Powerman? Mine is too short to do that.

Yes - but only if the amp is on the left and the power supply is on the right because of the location of the umbilical sockets. Additionally, it's the umbilical the cable company sent me - so don't know if it's aftermarket, or a new version - but it is a tight fit.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #8,447 of 22,374
The one I got is a little over 12". I should look for a longer one, stacked in shelves takes up a lot of space top to bottom. I just rotated my Ragnarok to my upstairs rig and brought the Formula S & P down to do some comparisons with the HP output on my PrimaLuna.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #8,448 of 22,374
d53n5dB.jpg

On my trip to Amsterdam I had the chance of demoing the Abyss 1266 Phi CC/TC with the newest version of Airtight's acclaimed ATM300 at https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/. Big thanks to Stefan for offering me time on the amp and cans. His Amsterdam-based shop is one of the most impressive showrooms I've been to in the world, and has a wonderful selection of high end head-fi and 2-channel gear (Airtight, Abyss, Audio Technica, etc.).

Airtight has been offering some variant of the ATM 300 since the 80s, and this version involves component upgrades as well as utilizing Takatsuki's excellent TA-300 tubes. I have tried an older version of the amp in Japan with the K1000 and HE6, but this is the first time I got to run one with an Abyss can. Directly out of the Dave + Mscalar, which pairs quite well with most 300b amps, the ATM300 is such a massive step up from a kitted out WA5 that they barely sound like they run on the same power tube. It's unquestionably a 300b amp, but extremely nimble by the standards of any tube design, well controlled, and pulls no punches on the bass end. The signature negotiates a delicate balance between Manley's aggresiveness and mild coarseness with the slightly meandering signature of the WA5.

I should mention that it is critical that the headphones be directly hooked up to the taps of the ATM300: using the Hifiman adapter destroys the signature. The amp itself is physically not powerful enough to permanently damage the Abyss TC short of catastrophic power failures and, if you dig into the ratings, delivers only marginally more max power than the WA5's highest gain mode. You are paying a lot of money for only 10-ish usable watts of power, and as a speaker amp it's no good unless you run particularly efficient speakers. For driving headphones, though, this is pretty much the very pinnacle of tube amps. Short of true super-exotics (Thrax) the ATM 300 is about as good as 300b gets, all of the upside with very little of the downside.

The level of performance here stresses a simple fact: at summit-fi levels there is little point in buying a dedicated headphone amp. Between the ATM300 and amps such as the Nagra Classic INT and CH Precision I1, there's not much of a reason to go for a WA33e or Viva Egoista. Especially when the other side is more versatile and has better fit and finish. Comparing the polish of the ATM300 to a Manley 300b is basically like comparing Kumitate labs to JH Audio.

Stefan wanted me to mention that he offers small-group evening audition sessions from 9pm to midnight, with your choice of liquor (Japanese whisky, wine, G&T's), for 150 euros for up to 3 people, deductible on any purchase of 1,000 euros or above. I took advantage of this and while it's not cheap, you get access to an amazing selection of gear, with no pressure to buy, and the opportunity to chat over drinks with Stefan, who is extremely knowledgable and just a great guy to be around with.
I will have to listen to the Abyss on this rig. I had been thinking of getting a tube amp like the WA5, but it appears this is superior. And I love the look of this amp.

I am about 10 minutes walk from Stefan’s shop and go there quite a bit. I agree he has a fantastic selection of high-end gear. Good excuse for a trip to Amsterdam! I am fortunate I’m that I have been able to do home auditions as needed - Stefan is very accommodating.

Jun 23, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #8,449 of 22,374
That's a super sexy setup Zhanming057.

Jun 23, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #8,450 of 22,374
I will have to listen to the Abyss on this rig. I had been thinking of getting a tube amp like the WA5

Just from a technical view the WA5 is far inferior to a TOTL 300B speaker amp. The output transformers are not the best, the input stage is not quite ideal for 300B swing voltage as it leave too much to tube coloration, some of the caps are 5$ cheapo. Unless you're running some serious tubes 2K+ the WA5 is just not worth it. With the original Abyss a powerful speaker amp such as the Moon 600i is going to beast it easily.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #8,451 of 22,374
Finally my TC arrived!!!
Its so stunning even it has not broken in, the mid is so much better than phi in my memory. Sad that I couldn’t compare it directly.
I will do more comparison later on.
1F005BEB-758B-4A29-B0D2-7315FBB8EBB2.jpeg 6F6EE17A-657C-4249-A02F-1CBB31D8582C.jpeg

Attachments

• DCFEE88D-D8CF-4457-AD9F-F8072D4DCCE7.jpeg
    DCFEE88D-D8CF-4457-AD9F-F8072D4DCCE7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #8,452 of 22,374
The sibilance problem in Phi has completely solved with the TC.. I’m so impressed with the mid of abyss now. Keeping all the resolution and imaging, the mid is so refined now. I think this is an very great update in fact!

Jun 27, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #8,453 of 22,374
the susvara has a bit of sibilance the TC has less...it is a remarkable HP

Jun 27, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #8,454 of 22,374
I was struggling with the comfort of the Abyss TC. I had found the ziptie mod too finicky and also affected the sound. Then I pulled out a box of dekoni nuggets my dealer gave me awhile back and sticked it on the headband out of desperation but it worked beautifully at removing the hotspot on the top of my head. Just something to try out if that hotspot was bothering you.
20190628_073135.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #8,455 of 22,374
the susvara has a bit of sibilance the TC has less...it is a remarkable HP
Agree I thought susvara will be less but seems not. But susvara has its own characteristic that attract us to use together with TC
Quite a different sound signature comparing to tc, it’s more unified in a way to present the music

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #8,456 of 22,374
Hi Guys,
Question fo you. I am contemplating demoing an Abyss Phi TC, I was wondering if the new TC driver is any easier to drive? I currently have two amps, an AmpsandSound Mogwai SE (3 watts per channel plus into 32 ohms), and I can run it closer to 6 watts with a 5AR4, and AmpsandSounds Suolo Monos which deliver 340mw into 32 ohms and 400mw into 8 and 300 (all per channel). I was wondering if anyone can comment on how the Phi TC sounds on lower powered tube amps, and if the TC driver is more efficient then the previous driver?

Thanks guys.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #8,457 of 22,374
I currently have two amps, an AmpsandSound Mogwai SE (3 watts per channel plus into 32 ohms), and I can run it closer to 6 watts with a 5AR4

The Mogwai SE should be fine at that power output. I had posted an inquiry about the Mogwai SE w/the Abyss. I'm curious of your thoughts if you pair it with an Abyss.

I believe the TC is about the same sensitivity as the original OG Abyss. The Phi version is a little easier to drive. But all versions are generally similar in drivability.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #8,458 of 22,374
The Mogwai SE should be fine at that power output. I had posted an inquiry about the Mogwai SE w/the Abyss. I'm curious of your thoughts if you pair it with an Abyss.

I believe the TC is about the same sensitivity as the original OG Abyss. The Phi version is a little easier to drive. But all versions are generally similar in drivability.

Thank you for the reply, we will see, I may bring my Suolo Mono to my local dealer to see how they sound with he Abyss, I am only interested in purchasing them if both the Mogwai and the monos can drive them correctly.

I would also be curious how people think these compare with the Focale Utopias?

Thanks again.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #8,459 of 22,374
I am only interested in purchasing them if both the Mogwai and the monos can drive them correctly

Based on specs only, I would say that the Soulo Monos are not ideal power-wise, at least if you like to listen to large dynamic range music at realistic volume. Anyway, if you can try by yourself that's the final answer of course...

There are similarities like detail retrieval and resolution, slightly brighter than neutral presentation, precise imaging and instruments separation.
I preferred the AB-1266 TC due to its much larger soundstage and much deeper, impactful and satisfying bass ... you get an experience closer to speakers from the Abyss

Female vocals are more seductive, to my tastes, with the Utopia, which are also much easier to drive hence more versatile.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #8,460 of 22,374
Thank you for the reply, we will see, I may bring my Suolo Mono to my local dealer to see how they sound with he Abyss, I am only interested in purchasing them if both the Mogwai and the monos can drive them correctly.

Thanks again.

I don't own the utopia but have the clear and preferred it to the utopia. The utopia and clear have a small soundstage. The ab1266 tc has a expansive soundstage and imaging that is on par or better than the utopia. The abyss trounces the focal in terms of bass quantity and quality to me. The abyss is extremely fast and resolving. It is really rewarding once you get the fit dialed in. I haven't picked up my clears or LCD X since I got the abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back