The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #8,221 of 22,596
Comfort and opinions on sound are based on personal preferences. So calling something the most comfortable or best sounding should be taken in context to the reviewers preference. As should someone saying something isn't comfortable or that the sound "sucks." But without reviews and personal opinions many of us would have nothing to go on.

May 7, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #8,222 of 22,596
I’ve read a lot of posts on here where many people complain about the Diana being uncomfortable and not fitting their heads very well. I’m just going by what others have said, and the comfort issues come up a lot.

I feel like the Diana should have been the Diana Phi from the start. The larger earpads will accommodate a lot more people with varying head sizes and ear sizes.

I feel the same way about the Ether 2 (as a former owner). Dan should have made larger earpads from the start. Clearly there’s a comfort problem since he’s now offering other earpad options. I just feel like when you start getting into the $2000 price range and above, comfort shouldn’t be an after thought.

Personally I've always found the Diana quite comfortable and light on my larger sized head and glasses.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #8,223 of 22,596
I own the Abyss Phi with CC pads as well as the Diana Phi. I wanted to love the original Diana but I did find it a bit uncomfortable, especially when wearing eyeglasses. The earpads were a tad too small for me and cut across the tops of my ears. Of course, YMMV.

That said, I love the new Diana Phi earpad design. They are more contoured than the bigger CC pads, which have a 'fat' donut side and a narrower side. By comparison, the Diana Phi pads follow the shape of your ears and head a bit more, so you get a more close-fitting closed feeling. Or you can shift them using the magnetic pins on the headphone to create a small gap between the pads and your ears which enhances the bass impact a bit. Its very siimilar to the effect you get if you shift around the CC pads on the1266 to create an opening, which almost acts as a bass-port.

May 12, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #8,225 of 22,596
I have been reading everyone's post with interest, its good to be back on Head-Fi.

Just received news that a par of TC's is heading my way in a couple of weeks. I have the Susvara, Utopia etc but feel that my current Phi CC is the ultimate Headphone for me. I have been using them out of my WA33 Elite, however a coupe of weeks ago I swapped the WA33 out for the latest edition of the 234's (which are single ended) running Takatsuki 300B's and 274B's and preferred the 234's for their dynamic slam, resolution and ability to use different types of tubes. I am using the DHC Prion4S balanced with the Abyss.

I realised after going through all my Headphones that I have the complete collection of all the editions of the Abyss. Cannot wait for the TC's.

May 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #8,226 of 22,596
Anyone have tried pairing Headamp GS-X mk2 with Abyss Phi TC? Wonder if this amp can pair well and if not, what other choices are recommended?

the formula S was designed for the 1266 and does a great job with them as well as with the sisvara

May 12, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #8,227 of 22,596
May 12, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #8,229 of 22,596
sorry bout my spelling!...sometimes i forget to check what i have typed!

May 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #8,231 of 22,596
Please take my impressions with a grain of salt, as they are my preferences, and you might be different. Best to listen to them, if possible.

I can't speak about the Formula S as I haven't heard it yet sadly, but if Joe @ JPS recommends it as the ideal pairing, I really trust his judgement.

What I remember about the GSX-MK2 is that it is pretty neutral bordering on dry and bright, but very detailed and airy.
I wouldn't recommend it for the AB-1266 Phi TC unless that is the specific sound signature you are looking for.
I prefer an amp that is a bit different than that, so its not for me personally. Best to get your
ears on it if possible.

The Wells Amps pair wonderfully with Abyss headphones. I just had the Milo in for review last month, and it was epic with the Diana Phi. Very musical amps, that
pair well with the Abyss headphones house sound. Highly recommended.

Also, I just purchased a Kinki Studio EX-M1 speaker amp, that if you are on a budget that is lower than the GSX-MK2 and Wells Audio amps, also plays wonderfully
with the Diana Phi. Superb bass, with sweet treble. Great pairing.

Hope that helps :)

May 12, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #8,233 of 22,596
Please take my impressions with a grain of salt, as they are my preferences, and you might be different. Best to listen to them, if possible.

I can't speak about the Formula S as I haven't heard it yet sadly, but if Joe @ JPS recommends it as the ideal pairing, I really trust his judgement.

What I remember about the GSX-MK2 is that it is pretty neutral bordering on dry and bright, but very detailed and airy.
I wouldn't recommend it for the AB-1266 Phi TC unless that is the specific sound signature you are looking for.
I prefer an amp that is a bit different than that, so its not for me personally. Best to get your
ears on it if possible.

The Wells Amps pair wonderfully with Abyss headphones. I just had the Milo in for review last month, and it was epic with the Diana Phi. Very musical amps, that
pair well with the Abyss headphones house sound. Highly recommended.

Also, I just purchased a Kinki Studio EX-M1 speaker amp, that if you are on a budget that is lower than the GSX-MK2 and Wells Audio amps, also plays wonderfully
with the Diana Phi. Superb bass, with sweet treble. Great pairing.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you for the good helpful information. Another vote for the Wells amps. I will need to check them out more especially the differences between their Enigma and Headtrip.

May 12, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #8,234 of 22,596
Thank you for the good helpful information. Another vote for the Wells amps. I will need to check them out more especially the differences between their Enigma and Headtrip.

Shoot Jeff wells an email www.wellsaudio.com

The "2" versions of the amps are slowly making their way to market, and look fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back