The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #8,161 of 22,458
Thanks so much for that clarification. So it looks like the Abyss PHI TC is the best all around HP at a lower cost than the Susvara?

Unfortunately I had personally never heard the Susvara.

Many lucky guys here have both and consider the two complimentary, each with its strengths and relative weaknesses.

My opinion is that at the very top of today's headphones it comes very much down to taste, musical preferences ...

I let other, more informed people, add their direct experience.

May 1, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #8,162 of 22,458
OG Abyss last for rock and metal?
Come onnnnnnn

Compared to those others, 100% Yes. I'd choose any of the others for metal easily over the Abyss OG. To my ears, they just sound better in that genre. Not saying the Abyss sounds bad, but i'd reach for those first in that particular genre. The OG can get fatiguing when alot is going on, and sometimes has a harsh edge in metal that i dont particularly like. Phi fixed that alot, but i still prefer the Utopia/HEKV2 over it for metal. The Phi CC brought things to the point where i'd choose it over the other 2 for metal. And the susvara is just hands down the most enjoyable and best cans i've heard for metal period. This is all just my opinion though, you're free to yours.

@tunes, I believe you may have misunderstood the quote that you have reported, and which I partially re-quoted above. The 100wpc requirement was referred to the SR1a headphones, which indeed are a very peculiar headphone design - based on a rather unique (in the headphones world) RAAL ribbon driver technology - needing very high power to work best.

The Susvara, while being fairly low efficiency cans, do not need such power, and the 'Susvara on a WA33' combo was actually referred in your quote as a best case scenario for the Susvara. By the way @matthewhypolite has the WA33 :) hence his comparison with the Abyss has been done within ideal conditions for both cans.

@simorag is correct. thr SR1a is a different monster entirely, and if i were to add it to my lineup, rest assured id accompany it by a worth amp. And as state, i evaluated on WA33 EE with $5000 worth of tubes.

Thanks so much for that clarification. So it looks like the Abyss PHI TC is the best all around HP at a lower cost than the Susvara?

Unfortunately I had personally never heard the Susvara.

Many lucky guys here have both and consider the two complimentary, each with its strengths and relative weaknesses.

My opinion is that at the very top of today's headphones it comes very much down to taste, musical preferences ...

I let other, more informed people, add their direct experience.

I agree with @simorag here again. I've tried to represent as honestly as possible my take on the headphones and given ratings scores comparisons etc, to match what i'm hearing. But what is very very very important to any review of a subjective matter imo, is a reference. Knowing what type of sound a reviewer likes, what genres/tracks he's tested with, etc etc etc. Some folks like a very detailed and bass light presentation, others want all the bass lol. (i happen to want both details and bass! :D). It's because audio is so highly subjective why i tried to provide as much insight into my testing method as possible. The PDF file i've uploaded with the review has detailed notes in various genres/tracks where i try to describe what i like and dont like about that particular collection of songs on a particular headphone. And though the TC currently has my currently overall best score, the Susvara is very very excellent in it's own right as well. So it all boils down to preference, and what you prefer. For e.g. if you're into metal, then Susvara is the can for you. If you want something that's more comfortable, susvara again. Into Dance, Classical, Opera, Pop etc, Abyss TC slays. Having said that, you cant go wrong with either of those cans. At this level it really is down to personal preference cause they're all good. I'd say though, that the Susvara, Abyss CC, and Abyss TC are kinda a significant step above the Utopia/HEKV2. and i'd take any of those 3, over the latter 2, in any genre. (As I've try to reflect in my Genre Comparisons).

If you're fortunate enough to own both Sus and TC. then you're set. If not, i hope my impressions help prospective buyers making the right choice for them. And there's also alot of other reviews on here to help guide folks as well, and from my observation, most folks who own both those cans agree with my findings.

Hope i've answered everything and hope that helps :)

May 1, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #8,163 of 22,458
I would like to know where the LCD-4 fits into this comparison. I currently have the LCD-4, the Abyss Phi CC, the Utopia, and HD800S, and Sony Z1R. For Rock and metal I prefer the LCD-4. For electronic I reach for the 1266 Phi CC. For pop and some vocal tracks I prefer the Utopia. Of course it all depends on preference and the rest of your audio chain.
Mac-Yggy A2, Woo WA5 le second generation and upgraded tubes.

May 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #8,164 of 22,458
I currently have the LCD-4, the Abyss Phi CC, the Utopia, and HD800S, and Sony Z1R

I've never heard the Z1R but have read plenty. I'm curious about this headphone. How would you say it compares with the Abyss Phi CC? What is your take on its sonic signature?

May 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #8,165 of 22,458
I would like to know where the LCD-4 fits into this comparison. I currently have the LCD-4, the Abyss Phi CC, the Utopia, and HD800S, and Sony Z1R. For Rock and metal I prefer the LCD-4. For electronic I reach for the 1266 Phi CC. For pop and some vocal tracks I prefer the Utopia. Of course it all depends on preference and the rest of your audio chain.
Mac-Yggy A2, Woo WA5 le second generation and upgraded tubes.

How is the Abyss from the Woo WA5? Enough power?

May 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #8,166 of 22,458
The Z1R is a “fun” headphone. The treble is gentle. By that I mean it doesn’t get peaky or harsh. A little lower in level compared to the bass and midrange. But still nicely detailed. Bass is bumped up. Great headphones for just relaxing. Many of the totl headphones can be a little fatiguing. So not technically equal to the Abyss it is still very enjoyable.

May 1, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #8,167 of 22,458
Probably the best headphone for modern pop. I find many of the albums recorded to hot in the treble. The Z1R is perfect for these.

May 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #8,168 of 22,458
The WA5 second generation is wonderful with the Abyss. On high power and low impedance 11 o’clock is Very loud. Gobs of headroom and terrific dynamics. Very quiet as well. I absolutely love it. Pairs well with the other headphones in my signature as well. With the selectable impedance,power, and input settings it can be tailored for a wide variety of phones.

May 1, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #8,169 of 22,458
My understanding is that the Susvara needs a speaker amp with at least 100 wpc to reveal its full potential. What amp was used for the comparison?

i am fortunate enough to own both the phi TC and the susvara....i listen to both with the formula s and they both sound truly wonderful....aint no need for a 100 watt speaker amp and certainly that aint going to be sitting next to my bed...silly

May 1, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #8,170 of 22,458
@JLoud thanks for your insights. I've read that many times -- it's a 'fun' headphone. I'll need to seek out a dealer to hear them.

May 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #8,171 of 22,458
Compared to those others, 100% Yes. I'd choose any of the others for metal easily over the Abyss OG. To my ears, they just sound better in that genre. Not saying the Abyss sounds bad, but i'd reach for those first in that particular genre. The OG can get fatiguing when alot is going on, and sometimes has a harsh edge in metal that i dont particularly like. Phi fixed that alot, but i still prefer the Utopia/HEKV2 over it for metal. The Phi CC brought things to the point where i'd choose it over the other 2 for metal. And the susvara is just hands down the most enjoyable and best cans i've heard for metal period. This is all just my opinion though, you're free to yours.

@simorag is correct. thr SR1a is a different monster entirely, and if i were to add it to my lineup, rest assured id accompany it by a worth amp. And as state, i evaluated on WA33 EE with $5000 worth of tubes.

I agree with @simorag here again. I've tried to represent as honestly as possible my take on the headphones and given ratings scores comparisons etc, to match what i'm hearing. But what is very very very important to any review of a subjective matter imo, is a reference. Knowing what type of sound a reviewer likes, what genres/tracks he's tested with, etc etc etc. Some folks like a very detailed and bass light presentation, others want all the bass lol. (i happen to want both details and bass! :D). It's because audio is so highly subjective why i tried to provide as much insight into my testing method as possible. The PDF file i've uploaded with the review has detailed notes in various genres/tracks where i try to describe what i like and dont like about that particular collection of songs on a particular headphone. And though the TC currently has my currently overall best score, the Susvara is very very excellent in it's own right as well. So it all boils down to preference, and what you prefer. For e.g. if you're into metal, then Susvara is the can for you. If you want something that's more comfortable, susvara again. Into Dance, Classical, Opera, Pop etc, Abyss TC slays. Having said that, you cant go wrong with either of those cans. At this level it really is down to personal preference cause they're all good. I'd say though, that the Susvara, Abyss CC, and Abyss TC are kinda a significant step above the Utopia/HEKV2. and i'd take any of those 3, over the latter 2, in any genre. (As I've try to reflect in my Genre Comparisons).

If you're fortunate enough to own both Sus and TC. then you're set. If not, i hope my impressions help prospective buyers making the right choice for them. And there's also alot of other reviews on here to help guide folks as well, and from my observation, most folks who own both those cans agree with my findings.

Hope i've answered everything and hope that helps :)
Out of interest, any plans to purchase a Diana Phi down the track?

May 2, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #8,172 of 22,458
i am fortunate enough to own both the phi TC and the susvara....i listen to both with the formula s and they both sound truly wonderful....aint no need for a 100 watt speaker amp and certainly that aint going to be sitting next to my bed...silly
Glad you can drive them well with the formula s. If you had to part with one of the two headphones, which one would it be? I listen mostly to female pop, jazz blues vocalists (Eva Cassidy, Catherine Russell, Natalie Cole, Nora Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Dianna Krall, Adel, George Benson, etc, no R and B, no heavy metal, some occasional Rock like Stones, Santana, Steely Dan, Marshall Tucker, Tedeschi Trucks, Van Morrison...

May 2, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #8,173 of 22,458
Have you heard the Susvara driven by Formula s and powerman compared to a more powerful speaker amp?

May 2, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #8,174 of 22,458
For me it is kind of like asking have you driven your car 200 miles an hour? It is impossible for me to use a standard speaker amp in my setup to listen to my headphones and I wouldn’t want to. I have heard what are considered the most powerful headphone amps and the formula s measures up to any of them. If a speaker amp suits others more power to them

May 2, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #8,175 of 22,458
If forced to choose I would very reluctantly part with the susvara but reluctantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back