The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #8,011 of 22,434
I was, but when the Vérité arrived, I sold my OG’s, and Utopia.​
Are you able to give us a short synopsis about the sonic differences between the Verite vs the Utopia and Abyss?
Especially for the Verite it is very difficult to set up an audition with a dealer here in Germany and as far as I know, ZMF will not be in Munich at the Highend audioshow either.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #8,012 of 22,434
Are you able to give us a short synopsis about the sonic differences between the Verite vs the Utopia and Abyss?
Especially for the Verite it is very difficult to set up an audition with a dealer here in Germany and as far as I know, ZMF will not be in Munich at the Highend audioshow either.

Sure, I’m actually thinking of dusting of the rust and coming out of reviewing retirement and writing up the Vérité.

I found the speed and dynamics falling just a tad below the Utopia, but, the Vérité remains musical (very subjective), without the metallic ringing I heard on less than perfect recordings or when pushing the volume. In fact, the impact may be even better on the ZMF-V than the Utopia, again very subjective, but I’ve had my ptsd triggered by unexpected, powerful percussion strikes.

With the OG Abyss, they have an entirely different take on music, and I loved them. Though I didn’t like the fit, the constant fiddling required. I also realize at with Abyss’s continuing development and upgrades, it was just out of my financial capabilities to keep up. I’m disabled, so I’m not begrudging anyone, Abyss or those who continue to climb Joe’s development ladder. God bless them, I just have to be realistic about what my capabilities are currently.

With that said, I just closed a deal for an E2, so I look forward to comparing it to the Vérité!

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #8,013 of 22,434
I'm curious about the Utopia vs Verite comparison. I currently have the Utopia and LCD-4 and am seriously considering a Verite. Are they complementary or enough similar to sell one to help fund the ZMF purchase?

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #8,014 of 22,434
i am using the Formula S with my Phi TC...great combo

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #8,016 of 22,434
In the quest to find a budget perfect amp and preferably a DAC combination for the Abyss, I came across this one.

I recently used a Cayin i-HA6. It is a solid budget amp and better than I've heard from other amps, but I don't think it ultimately brings out the most from the 1266. My sense anyway.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #8,017 of 22,434
No. But.
I see that's in Aussie dollars. If you are in Aus, I would go for this:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll...ectric-audio-hpa-v220-headphone-pre-amplifier
Owned and loved the v281 for years and this is exactly the same amp without the balanced out for very cheap. Looks like it might be the demo model as they only have one in silver, but still. A nice musical amp without breaking the bank.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #8,018 of 22,434
No. But.
I see that's in Aussie dollars. If you are in Aus, I would go for this:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll...ectric-audio-hpa-v220-headphone-pre-amplifier
Owned and loved the v281 for years and this is exactly the same amp without the balanced out for very cheap. Looks like it might be the demo model as they only have one in silver, but still. A nice musical amp without breaking the bank.

Iam in Melbourne, really looking to get a balanced amp.
What about Audio GD offerings like the NFB27h?

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #8,020 of 22,434
My view is that if you have a DAVE then stop chasing after low efficiency headphones and save yourself a ton of money and space on your hifi rack.

This is a very sensible advice indeed.

If one's priority is to capitalize at best DAVE's transparency, then investing on a great source and high efficiency headphones gives the best bang for the buck, and you would end up with a minimalistic high end headphone rig.

On the other hand, I would not give up the unique overall experience the AB-1266 can provide with the DAVE plus a good powerful amp in the name of preserving DAVE's transparency alone …

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #8,022 of 22,434
I'm curious about the Utopia vs Verite comparison. I currently have the Utopia and LCD-4 and am seriously considering a Verite. Are they complementary or enough similar to sell one to help fund the ZMF purchase?

After receiving my Vérité, I sold my Utopia. The former is within a whisker of the later’s speed, but is far for musical (highly subjective), has superior tone (no metallic sheen), and has a better headstage.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #8,023 of 22,434
The TC eagle has landed :)

abyss-tc-01.jpeg abyss-tc-02.jpeg

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #8,025 of 22,434

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back