The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #662 of 22,555
People use cavalli liquid gold, but i think a gsx mk2 would be better. Havent heard the abyss out of gsx mk2 unfortunately. but didnt enjoy it out of liquid gold, didnt like lcd-3 off there either,

I think some people have gotten the burson amps for it as well. But generally a TOTL amp for it

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #663 of 22,555
  I have a th900 and T1... really like the abyss(just found it ugly)... would like to know what amp would be best if I got it.

The Liquid Gold (aka LAu) + Abyss is hands down one of the best synergistic combos out there in my opinion. In fact, I personally feel few dedicated headphone amps can touch the LAu when it comes to driving orthos in general, praise I don't dispense lightly. I also feel my LCD-3 and HE-6 sounded their best off of it. Several well known orthophiles are also very fond of the LAu for that very reason. Other Abyss owners like the LAu too: Spkrs01 ended up buying one, and Purrin was fond of it as well (he's also fond of the GSXmk2, but incidentally feels it's not that great of a match with the Abyss).

The Abyss however is *not* a picky headphone. You don't need to invest a lot of money in an amp for it. In fact, Purrin is going to drive it with an $120 amp just for Schiits and giggles.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #664 of 22,555
People use cavalli liquid gold, but i think a gsx mk2 would be better. Havent heard the abyss out of gsx mk2 unfortunately. but didnt enjoy it out of liquid gold, didnt like lcd-3 off there either,

I think some people have gotten the burson amps for it as well. But generally a TOTL amp for it

So you're making a recommendation for an amp you own over one you haven't heard with this headphone? An amp that's considered to be one of the BEST pairings by owners of the headphone? One that you've heard only briefly during meet conditions on a completely different headphone?

Let me try that too. Oh, I think the balanced supersymmetry Dynahi would be a much better pairing than the GS-X mk2 since it puts our way more power than a balanced dynalo (even a dynalo+)

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #665 of 22,555
LCD-3 and even the HE-500 sounded better to me out of the GSX MK2 than the Abyss and LAu, so yes. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #666 of 22,555
I heard the GS-X mk2 with the HD800s for 5 minutes. I wouldn't dump on the amp based off that nor would I speculate on whether it would pair well with other headphones.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #667 of 22,555
i can usually tell if somethings good or not. doesnt take more than a few minutes of serious concentration to be able to notice a difference. its always worked for me.

LCD-3 vs LCD-2 for example, pretty quick to see the difference, HD 800 vs Stax, same thing. longer listening usually gives the same impressions, same with other amps and headphones ive tried. initial impressions generally match longer listening impressions, at least for me, with longer listening simply being a little more detailed and specific. but the initial listen should be enough to hear how good its supposed to be or not. otherwise, if you struggle to hear a difference, or don't feel theres an improvement, its not worth the time or money since it probably isn't.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #668 of 22,555
everyone can get general impressions at a meet. I'm pointing your posts out because you have a habit of poo pooing everything Cavalli. A few months ago, you lovedddd every Woo FOTM and now that you have the gs-x mk2, it's the second coming of frankampenstein.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area know of local dealers with the Abyss? I can't find any.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #669 of 22,555
I would like to add that it is very difficult to actually get to hear how damn good the Abyss is from a meet scenario.......I have had the Abyss with the Cavalli LAu for two weeks now, allowing for burn in, it has taken me about 8-9 days to dial the Abyss in. Every little adjustment changes the sound presentation....from widening the headband, changing angles and rotating the ear cups. With this in mind, any serious potential purchasers should take up the loan programme from the Cable company in the States.

How does the Abyss sound? In Hong Kong there are many die hard audiophiles that shoe horns a US$300k to half a million system into a 120-200 sq.ft room and make it sound good. The Abyss is reminiscent of these home system less the visceral impact.

I have listened to the Abyss with the Violectric V200 and the sonics are remarkably very good! With the LAu, it is sublime...........

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #670 of 22,555
everyone can get general impressions at a meet. I'm pointing your posts out because you have a habit of poo pooing everything Cavalli. A few months ago, you lovedddd every Woo FOTM and now that you have the gs-x mk2, it's the second coming of frankampenstein.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area know of local dealers with the Abyss? I can't find any.

the GS-X mk2 is the best amp i've heard, destroys every woo, eddie current, schiit, burson, cavalli, ray, and just about everything else i've heard.

and it does it with EVERY headphone i've tried it on, nothing disappoints, its truly a wire-with-gain transparent pretty much perfect hell of an amp, a masterpiece, its a game changer in the solid-state world. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #671 of 22,555

the GS-X mk2 is the best amp i've heard, destroys every woo, eddie current, schiit, burson, cavalli, ray, and just about everything else i've heard.

and it does it with EVERY headphone i've tried it on, nothing disappoints, its truly a wire-with-gain transparent pretty much perfect hell of an amp, a masterpiece, its a game changer in the solid-state world.

Lol.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #673 of 22,555

+1.

You guys are all just jealous of how perfect Dubstep's amp is.  I wish Dubstep many hours with her Mytek/GS-X/T1 combo.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #674 of 22,555
That notion is absurd. The Fiio E11 is the perfect, most transparent, wire-with-gain amp ever. It is the masterpiece to end all masterpieces. You people with your fancy amps with your fancy knobs are just under the spell of confirmation bias. The E11 did not need an mk2, because Fiio got it right the first time.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #675 of 22,555
That notion is absurd. The Fiio E11 is the perfect, most transparent, wire-with-gain amp ever. It is the masterpiece to end all masterpieces. You people with your fancy amps with your fancy knobs are just under the spell of confirmation bias. The E11 did not need an mk2, because Fiio got it right the first time.

Nope. Firestone Fireye Mark I. Absolutely no controls whatsoever putting it in the class of amps costing 10's of thousands more
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back