The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,097 of 22,596
How would you say the Stax stacks up against the Abyss?
So hard to answer. I still prefer the Abyss against all other models - I think they are so far ahead of the Audezes, Hifiman, Sennheiser etc, but to speak of high-ends that compliment each other, the Abyss and 007 (both with the right amp) would be as good as it gets in my eyes at the moment. Really liked the L700 and 009 but found myself going back to the 007 every time.

The 007 vs the Abyss. Too hard to compare mate. The Abyss gives you more of a physical feeling than anything else available. The 007 is more elegant and soft natured - extremely relaxing and dreamy. The 007 being suited to classical, acoustic, vocals, slow electronic, live performances, jazz. The abyss with covered with about 4 different fit settings are the jack of all trades imo.
I was testing last night expanding the abyss to its fullest and found it quite incredible how forgiving it becomes of old crappy records. Put it to the smallest setting with the same recordings and prepare have the glass in your ears break.

May 1, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,099 of 22,596
Finding more people who prefer the LCD-4. I really need to get my hands on an Abyss to make sure I get the correct fit and can properly compare.

May 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,102 of 22,596
I posted this in the LCD-4 thread but figured people interested in the Abyss would be interested as well. I did a 4 hour listening session last night between the LCD-4 and Abyss. Both are great headphones. As I said in the LCD-4 thread I think the Abyss will become more of an every few days listen, when I have time to really dedicate to it. The LCD-4 is easier to listen to and figure out. Both are super cans. I posted a longer review on Reddit the other day. Hope this helps anyone deciding between the two. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4gweiv/abyss_vs_lcd4_reviewtestcomparison_thing/

May 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #4,103 of 22,596
I posted this in the LCD-4 thread but figured people interested in the Abyss would be interested as well. I did a 4 hour listening session last night between the LCD-4 and Abyss. Both are great headphones. As I said in the LCD-4 thread I think the Abyss will become more of an every few days listen, when I have time to really dedicate to it. The LCD-4 is easier to listen to and figure out. Both are super cans. I posted a longer review on Reddit the other day. Hope this helps anyone deciding between the two. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4gweiv/abyss_vs_lcd4_reviewtestcomparison_thing/

Thanks for the review, ufopls2. I may have missed it but did you listen to the 200ohm version of the LCD 4? And what was the amp you used? Thanks! :)

May 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #4,104 of 22,596
Thanks for the review, ufopls2. I may have missed it but did you listen to the 200ohm version of the LCD 4? And what was the amp you used? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I have the 200ohm version. Amp was the Auralic Taurus Mk2. 

May 3, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #4,105 of 22,596
Hi all, I am new in head-fi.
Wanna seek some advice before my Abyss arrived. Anyone have tried to use Totaldac d1 dual to drive Abyss? Is it powerful enough to drive it via the xlr output(6.2 Vrms max)? I have tried the headphone out(3.1 Vrms max) to drive the lcd 4(100 ohm version), and not much headroom left.

I am also going to get a cable for abyss, anyone tried Norne Audio Silvergarde?

May 3, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #4,106 of 22,596
  Hi all, I am new in head-fi.
Wanna seek some advice before my Abyss arrived. Anyone have tried to use Totaldac d1 dual to drive Abyss? Is it powerful enough to drive it via the xlr output(6.2 Vrms max)? I have tried the headphone out(3.1 Vrms max) to drive the lcd 4(100 ohm version), and not much headroom left.

I am also going to get a cable for abyss, anyone tried Norne Audio Silvergarde?

Weird that they don't specify the output in watts. I would expect that if you were running out of headroom with the lcd4 that you might run out of power even earlier with the Abyss. Maybe hold off on the cable purchase until you can try the totaldac (Abyss comes with possibly better(?) cables anyway)  - you might be better off putting that money toward an amp...

May 3, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #4,107 of 22,596
Thanks for your advise. Yes, maybe I should hold on for the cable. Now, I just tried the single-ended headphone out to lcd 4, hope that it works if I go for balanced xlr out (with two 3-pin female-to-female adapter), otherwise I don't have extra budget to get a decent amp now.

May 3, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #4,108 of 22,596
I think you are looking at the line level xlr outputs for connecting the dac to an amp, you'd need to use the amplified 1/4 inch headphone jack output for headphones.

I mean, definitely try it through the totaldac - it might be perfectly fine. Abyss should come with an adapter to 1/4 inch plug.

I'd try it before making any decisions on what to buy next but yeah, it looks like the totaldac doesn't have a balanced headphone out - I wouldn't put an adapter on the XLR line outs and put headphones onto them... Perhaps someone can advise if that would do any damage or just be not excellent - I assume the current would be very low even if the voltage is sufficient...

May 3, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #4,109 of 22,596
I think you are looking at the line level xlr outputs for connecting the dac to an amp, you'd need to use the amplified 1/4 inch headphone jack output for headphones.

I mean, definitely try it through the totaldac - it might be perfectly fine. Abyss should come with an adapter to 1/4 inch plug.

I'd try it before making any decisions on what to buy next but yeah, it looks like the totaldac doesn't have a balanced headphone out - I wouldn't put an adapter on the XLR line outs and put headphones onto them... Perhaps someone can advise if that would do any damage or just be not excellent - I assume the current would be very low even if the voltage is sufficient...

May 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #4,110 of 22,596
Oops, pressed wrong button.

I searched the totaldac threads and found some users tried to drive headphones via the balanced output. I will try it with my lcd 4 and see the difference, once the adapters arrived. Thanks mulder01.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back