The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,161 of 22,596
You customised them.

Well, not really, you're kinda expected to have to bend the headband a little.  I just bent it probably a little more than normal because I have a weird head and was fussy about the fit being spot-on.

660 grams sounds like a lot, do they feel that heavy on the head?

I've never noticed the weight personally, but I don't wear them for long periods of time either (probably up to about an hour).  After a while, the top of my head where the headband is gets a bit sore, but I wonder if my head is a bit sensitive to any sort of pressure.  Headphones like the HD800 and TH900 that have thin padding around the ears make the sides of my head sore a lot faster than the Abyss makes the top of my head sore... If that makes sense - for me, the pressure of the headband on the Abyss is not as bad as the pressure of the earpads on the Sennheiser and Fostex is what I mean.  Which is a shame, because the TH900 was my favorite sounding closed can.  If I had to wear the Abyss for hours every day, I'd probably but a bit of foam under the headband, but of course, ymmv.  I should probably mention that I can't even wear sunglasses for more than a couple of hours without the pressure of the frames against my head make me have to take them off... Yep, I'm weird.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,163 of 22,596
The weight is no issue for me either, and I listen for hours at a time. Having said that, a couple of times the top of my head, where the soft band sits, did start to feel slightly sensitive. Moving the band (rotating the headphones from the point of the ears) an inch forward/backward fixed it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,164 of 22,596
660 grams sounds like a lot, do they feel that heavy on the head?

Nope, not in the slightest, my LCD-X's & 3F's give me a hot spot on top of my head which becomes uncomfortable after a while. The Abyss it terms of headband works much better.

The issue I have is I spend a l lot of time listening while I am working at my desk and whenever I tilt my head forward, look down etc the Abyss does move on my head. Of course I can push the pads in however I lose some air and bass extension.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #2,165 of 22,596
  The issue I have is I spend a l lot of time listening while I am working at my desk and whenever I tilt my head forward, look down etc the Abyss does move on my head. Of course I can push the pads in however I lose some air and bass extension.

This is very true, it's a balancing act. I had to change my head bopping habits to keep my chin parallel with the floor/desk when getting into the music. Any 'tilt' had bopping and the Abyss can swing a little bit. You get used to it pretty quickly :¬)

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,167 of 22,596
That is one happy *****

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #2,168 of 22,596
Quote:isquirrel
 This is one happy squirrel

FTFY 
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,169 of 22,596
This week I have been listening to totally new setup with my Abyss. This had been one of the most enjoyable week this year:).

I just replaced an Auralic Vega + Auralic Taurus Mk 2 with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Liquid Gold Amp. The DirectStream has been one of the best DOCs I have heard. I have a whole lot of Indian classical and Indian old film music FLACs that I had not listened to in a while as the Vega gave me a headache. Once I heard this music on the DirectStream, I have been hearing details I had never heard before. Also, the imaging for this 16bit music was truly 3d like.

I have finally found my endgame setup:).

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #2,170 of 22,596
I noticed today that some people in the CanJam SoCal event have mentioned a modded Abyss. Does anyone here know what they are referring to?

"Abyss: I listened to purrin's modded set and they sounded better than before.  The treble was a lot cleaner sounding and strings sounded much more 'right' than they do on the stock Abyss.  I had a theory going in about the "speaker like" presentation/bass that this headphone is known for and pretty much verified it in my mind today.  It seems everybody listens to the Abyss with a partial, very weak seal (the designers even encourage this) and I think this is a huge contributor to the speaker-like stuff.  I spent my whole demo kind've pushing the cups in and pulling them out so that I could compare a full seal to the normal seal in rapid succession.  With the partial seal, as with most electrostats and orthos, you get more mid bass kick and less sub bass extension; with the full seal you get a more linear bass response.  This is nothing new so it didn't really surprise me, but there was one other thing that had a surprising result from the different seals: soundstage.  With the full seal, you get a normal headphone soundstage, though these suffer a little from the "3 blob" effect (left/center/right without much fleshing out in between).  With the partial seal, the center of the soundstage basically disappears and you get a "2 blob" headstage with much more crosstalk than a normal headphone.  So ya, definitely "speaker like".  These would be a nice upgrade over the HE1000 if they lowered the price by offering it with a normal or no cable, and implemented some of Marv's mods.  I'd wear them with a full seal, YMMV."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/225

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #2,171 of 22,596
This week I have been listening to totally new setup with my Abyss. This had been one of the most enjoyable week this year:).

I just replaced an Auralic Vega + Auralic Taurus Mk 2 with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Liquid Gold Amp. The DirectStream has been one of the best DOCs I have heard. I have a whole lot of Indian classical and Indian old film music FLACs that I had not listened to in a while as the Vega gave me a headache. Once I heard this music on the DirectStream, I have been hearing details I had never heard before. Also, the imaging for this 16bit music was truly 3d like.

I have finally found my endgame setup:).

Wow I'd love to get my hands on some Indian music, especially some classical. Any idea on where I can source it from

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,174 of 22,596
Wow I'd love to get my hands on some Indian music, especially some classical. Any idea on where I can source it from

Most of my Indian music is from the CDs I have bought during visits to India and Indian stores here in the US. HDTracks has some albums, not many, but a few good to start:

http://www.hdtracks.com/world/indian

I suggest: Indian ArchitextureZakir Hussain & The Rhythm ExperienceA Meeting by the RiverBourbon & RosewaterTabula RasaSouthern Brothers to start with.The last few are more fusion but are heavily indian classical

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,175 of 22,596
Once the AB-1266 is setup according to the Joe's video on youtube, for yourself, you don't feel like you are wearing a 660 grams headphone.It is very balanced and I have worn these for 8 hours straight without feeling any fatigue and discomfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back