The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #20,446 of 22,511
Timbre is tonal accuracy as you stated. The most important part of a sound system in my experience. I prefer my systems to sound real as in live music, or now as close to my 2-channel system as possible. My 2-channel system was created based on realism ( Rockport speakers, Viva Electronics, Basis Inspiration, etc). This system is now my comparison point for anything else, including IEMs. I unfortunately do not get out to concerts very often. My point is though, that I have a consistent musical reference. Many reviewers do not. I believe they should if they wish to be a professional reviewer, this way they never stray too far away from real vs not.

That said, the 1266 is not metallic in any way. If you heard anything metallic, you and your friend need to look elsewhere for the problem. Now, I have never heard the 1266 on anything less than a multi $K system. And I fully realize it will not be the favorite of everyone. But it is too good to flat out hate. This is why I think there is something wrong with the review and your take on it. But as always, it is your opinion and there are many other HP’s to get you to your preferred sound.

I personally feel the Solitaire P which others love is over hyped and did not impress me when I heard it and compared it to the Utopia. But I did not find it metallic or hate it. If I owned it, I would probably keep it while still looking for my preferred sound. It is still a good HP. We are all a bit different.

And it is okay to hear your opposing view point. Enjoy!
That said, the 1266 is not metallic in any way. If you heard anything metallic, you and your friend need to look elsewhere for the problem. Now, I have never heard the 1266 on anything less than a multi $K system.”

There’s so much wrong with this that I can’t even begin with on where to start.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #20,447 of 22,511
“That said, the 1266 is not metallic in any way. If you heard anything metallic, you and your friend need to look elsewhere for the problem. Now, I have never heard the 1266 on anything less than a multi $K system.”

There’s so much wrong with this that I can’t even begin with on where to start.
In what way?

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #20,448 of 22,511
Well you’re making a comment on the TC not sounding metallic, and at the same time talking about how you’ve only heard it on a multi dollar system. So how do you know that it doesn’t sound metallic on something less than your multi dollar system?

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #20,449 of 22,511
Well you’re making a comment on the TC not sounding metallic, and at the same time talking about how you’ve only heard it on a multi dollar system. So how do you know that it doesn’t sound metallic on something less than your multi dollar system?
Well, I was stating that to leave that as one possible reason for it. I also said to look elsewhere for the issue. If a speaker or HP is highly revealing, the bad will show up just as easily as the good. I also did not want to type in a treatise. I probably should have added to it.

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #20,450 of 22,511
With my gear they are only "ok", treble have spikes and bass is too much for me, though they are pretty fast and have nice soundstage.

I have HA200 loaned too (and series 200 cd/streamer but i must find place to put it lol), how the sound together?
I haven't heard them on the T+A gear. I missed an opportunity at CanJam to demo my set on the HA200 in the Roon booth. I have the Chord Dave/s HMS, which I think complements the Solitaire P's sound quite nicely. For me it's a great alternative headphone to my AB-1266 TC's

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #20,451 of 22,511
Now i heard them with HA200 and must admit after set some options they are very good HP, definitely they have better synergy with dedicated HA200 than my own gear. Only complaint i have is sometimes harsh and dry high tones. I like them better than some other TOTL HP like LCD-5 or Stealth.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #20,452 of 22,511
It will come down to system matching. Matters as much if not more for 2-ch as you must already know.

@Sajid Amit

Thanks man. Happy for sure but also ordered the Zahl HM1 amplifier today. Such is the way of the phile, lol.

Rockna is on my list for the ZMF and if I ever buy back the Susvara. The May is not the source to have in a chain feeding the Susvara or ZMF, IMO, given my sonic goals. I think the DAC is a critical element and although I have a few on my desk right now, will probably keep the May and add a second more clinical DAC (with good dynamics, can’t live without them).

The 23R is fabulous. However, the 23R and the iCAN have slightly different sonic characteristics, technical performance notwithstanding. I find that the iCAN is thicker in the midrange and narrower-sounding than the 23R while the 23R is more smooth and flowing than the iCAN.

But the 23R is a better amp for most practical purposes, in terms of technical performance,
I’m just putting it out there Sajid……you talk about wanting a dac that is more clinical.

If you get a chance to demo the May KTE to compare to you L2 I would love to hear the comparisons.
I am thinking the KTE may get you closer to that……and wondering where an L2 might take me relative to my KTE.

The way you describe the L2 is not quite what I hear from the KTE. And what you are looking for as a second dac is not that far away from my KTE

I feel this is a comparison that has barely been looked at thoroughly with an equally top rated amp and headphones like the susvaras or 1266, etc

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #20,453 of 22,511
Yeah, he said customers were greedy for using online dealers to get a discount
Greedy is an interesting choice of words by him.

Might be worth the company looking at it’s distribution channels and their own policies.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #20,454 of 22,511
On a different note, I had a few Abyss stands made by a local craftsman / hobbyist.

Let me know if anyone wants one. I only have a couple extra. Can ship overseas of course.

8D459A81-99BA-4130-A4AF-E1D9710DA8B6.jpeg

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #20,455 of 22,511
I have not heard the abyss up to this point.
I was getting close to getting to one but with the price hike 6 months ago I found myself further away from being one of it’s potential customers.

From the comments above sometimes some headphones do need specific gear to shine and/or do their better work. At a lower price point than what is being discussed here I always found my hd800 is best with tubes and my Woo WA2 otl amp has easily beaten (for me of course) any other solid state amps that i have thrown at it, including my current niimbus amp.

So I certainly don’t dismiss the premise that gear matching may be more crucial than with other hps.

Whether people want to play in that sandpit is another question on top of that.

I certainly believe if you have a suitable tube amp the hd800 can be great value, otherwise (not a tube amp) maybe, maybe not..

Just my 2c and a passing light reflection

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #20,456 of 22,511
Timbre nor tonality are really strong suits of the TC imo (and to be clear, it has plenty of other strengths and wow factors). And if they were, the SC cable wouldn't be as well received and popular as it is, as it drastically improves these two areas specifically (also, fyi for those looking, this made more significant improvement in tone/timbre than most other physical upgrades in my system). So I wouldn't at all dismiss someone's comments regarding them.

I've also personally found the TC to be more flexible with its performance, with strong performance in various chains, but that's just me. I don't think you need the absolute finest/most expensive setup to get a general idea of what it can do.. and plenty of budget chains have been championed in this thread. Certainly you can tinker beyond that deeper into the wallet to your preferred customizations or to a more optimized sound. But some of its qualities are distinct and some simply just may not like them either way. Further complicating this is fit, which can dramatically change the sound. I would double check this before blindly spending $ to improve sound.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #20,457 of 22,511
At CanJAM NYC, I tried the AB1266 with the WA-33. I also tried the Dianas. Didn't like the Dianas on the lower end Woo Audio stuff, but the AB-1266 even when not perfectly fitted, does sound like a high end headphone. It has all the technicalities I heard in Susvara, and the resolution it brings out in music is amazing, like when I heard distinct double tracking from a U2 song that the Dianas didn't bring my attention.
It is picky about power, it didn't sound that good on the WA-23 but Jack Wu did help me demo it on the WA-33, where it was very good. I did hear a bit of metallic sound in one Elvis track, but given it's a pre-60's recording, it could have been the source, so I don't know. But U2 "with or without you" sounded really good. Clean separation of instruments, feeling the shape of the room, and hearing the distinct voice tracks was pretty amazing.
I still prefer the Susvara at this time, but I do want to get an AB-1266 sometime later as part of my collection because I like what it can do.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #20,458 of 22,511
I always found it fascinating that users on head fi generally having such descriptive words used with such ease and passion.

I've always liked the TC as I do tend to appreciate resolution. How I got back into the TC after having sold mine, was relistening to it at Can Jam and got re wowed.

On the other hand, I sometimes miss my LCD4, out of the memories had with it. Sometimes each headphones bring its own set of memories as it was part of our overall journey.

Looking back is always fun once in a while, like how I used to have bit more money before messing with this hobby.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #20,459 of 22,511
I always found it fascinating that users on head fi generally having such descriptive words used with such ease and passion.

I've always liked the TC as I do tend to appreciate resolution. How I got back into the TC after having sold mine, was relistening to it at Can Jam and got re wowed.

On the other hand, I sometimes miss my LCD4, out of the memories had with it. Sometimes each headphones bring its own set of memories as it was part of our overall journey.

Looking back is always fun once in a while, like how I used to have bit more money before messing with this hobby.
Add a tube stage with the TC and I don't think you concede or necessitate for an LCD-4.

It's only a little more money.

And it's only a lot more joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back