The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,891 of 22,596
  Oh my... just had to make sure mine is still black on black and nobody got in at night to change that :wink:

Regarding the spider web: given how sensitive these drivers react to different load (i.e. air resistance and reflexions) I can well imagine that it can make a difference.

hehe

Yeah, the prototype definitely sounded different, but not only due to the spider web.

My dream custom Abyss would be fairly simple: blood red and black (undecided on specifics) with the spider web and those tuning discs which were never implemented.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,892 of 22,596
Just to update my experiences over the last 2 days. Yesterday was the day that I dropped off my speakers, and drove home with a pair of Abyss and HD800 headphones. It was a 3 hour drive home, and I was looking forward to plugging the Abyss into my Mcintosh MHA100.

I walked through the door, and spent about 30 minutes unpacking everything, and adjusting the headband to suit. Then the moment came, plugging them in, and turning up the volume! The initial reaction was as favourable as I got during the demo, a larger scale compared to my PS1000/HD800. I sat and listened for another 3 songs, but on the last song, it didn't sound as detailed as I remebered. After unplugging the Abyss, and plugging in the HD800s, I played that same song, WOW! Suddenly all the detail and air and soundstage was back, everything was so much more musical. I compared the 2 headphones over the next 20 minutes, but I had already formed my opinion, and that is what this is, my opinion, yours may vary.

Unbelievably within 45 minutes of unpacking them, I had closed the lid on the Abyss, quite literally, they were put by the front door for returning in the morning. I spent the rest of the evening listening with the HD800, appreciating just how good they are. Now I totally understand that this could just be a mismatch of the Mcintosh/Abyss pairing, but I couldn't return them and get my speakers back quick enough. What a bargain the HD800s are, and the Abyss, well, let's just say, good riddance!

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,894 of 22,596
I would have kept the Abyss, HD800s and get a good amp.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,895 of 22,596
Just to update my experiences over the last 2 days. Yesterday was the day that I dropped off my speakers, and drove home with a pair of Abyss and HD800 headphones. It was a 3 hour drive home, and I was looking forward to plugging the Abyss into my Mcintosh MHA100.

I walked through the door, and spent about 30 minutes unpacking everything, and adjusting the headband to suit. Then the moment came, plugging them in, and turning up the volume! The initial reaction was as favourable as I got during the demo, a larger scale compared to my PS1000/HD800. I sat and listened for another 3 songs, but on the last song, it didn't sound as detailed as I remebered. After unplugging the Abyss, and plugging in the HD800s, I played that same song, WOW! Suddenly all the detail and air and soundstage was back, everything was so much more musical. I compared the 2 headphones over the next 20 minutes, but I had already formed my opinion, and that is what this is, my opinion, yours may vary.

Unbelievably within 45 minutes of unpacking them, I had closed the lid on the Abyss, quite literally, they were put by the front door for returning in the morning. I spent the rest of the evening listening with the HD800, appreciating just how good they are. Now I totally understand that this could just be a mismatch of the Mcintosh/Abyss pairing, but I couldn't return them and get my speakers back quick enough. What a bargain the HD800s are, and the Abyss, well, let's just say, good riddance!

Even as an Abyss fanboy, I can totally understand your perspective.

I will probably get the HD 800 long before the Abyss, mainly due to the cost differential. Plus, I can add it to my existing system and get pretty high up there on its sound quality potential scale.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,896 of 22,596
I would have kept the Abyss, HD800s and get a good amp.

:D , yeah, yeah.! Do you have suggestions which amp to pair it with, must be Amp/Dac combo. The thing is, they did sound good in the shop with the Oppo amp, although I couldn't do a direct comparison. The dealers sell Burson as well, just been reading about the SL Conductor.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,897 of 22,596
biggrin.gif
, yeah, yeah.! Do you have suggestions which amp to pair it with, must be Amp/Dac combo. The thing is, they did sound good in the shop with the Oppo amp, although I couldn't do a direct comparison. The dealers sell Burson as well, just been reading about the SL Conductor.

Which McIntosh amp did you use?

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,900 of 22,596
biggrin.gif
, yeah, yeah.! Do you have suggestions which amp to pair it with, must be Amp/Dac combo. The thing is, they did sound good in the shop with the Oppo amp, although I couldn't do a direct comparison. The dealers sell Burson as well, just been reading about the SL Conductor.

I've not heard either of those with the Abyss. The full Conductor is good with other planars. But if I had to chooose between those options, I would probably go with the Oppo HA-1 for the headamp part.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,903 of 22,596

It's good to hear that you were able to come back with a definitive favourite between the two. Having owned both I can certainly see how it'd be one or the other, very different sounds signatures and presentation.
Having read that you prefer the HD800 to the abyss, it may be worth using the money saved from the abyss and investing in a SR009 system. The draw card about the HD800 to me were the highs, soundstage and detail. The SR009 has slightly more soundstage but a fair amount more detail and crisp highs, which may be to your liking.
Always thought with the "TOTL" headphones it was the Abyss and 009, as a very, very broad rule if you like the HD800 go with the 009, if you like the PS1000 go with the abyss.
Though the HE1000 may change things, looks rather interesting.
Best of luck on your head fi travels and enjoy the new rig! :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,904 of 22,596
Thanks guys. I would feel as though I was doing the Abyss a mis service not to pair it with something better than the Oppo, not sure on people's thoughts?

I have had a pair of 009 (and 007 Kimik) which were fed with a Rega Isis, I found them a little dull compared to the PS1000.

Please forward any more thoughts that you might have. So to summarise, my Mcintosh does not have the power to drive the Abyss.

Many thanks.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,905 of 22,596
Thanks guys. I would feel as though I was doing the Abyss a mis service not to pair it with something better than the Oppo, not sure on people's thoughts?

I have had a pair of 009 (and 007 Kimik) which were fed with a Rega Isis, I found them a little dull compared to the PS1000.

Please forward any more thoughts that you might have. So to summarise, my Mcintosh does not have the power to drive the Abyss.

Many thanks.

Even the amp I have right now can "drive" it; just not all the way. The person who designed the AB-1266 told me that it needs something between 4 and 8 watts (don't recall the exact figure) to reach its peak.

Personally, I want the Schiit Ragnarok. It's much more affordable than other TOTL amps, and look at the power!

Maximum Power, 4 ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 8 ohms: 60W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 15W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 10W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1.7W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel

(My god...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back