The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,880 of 22,596
Certainly some taste-less rapper going for the most expensive pair of cans they can get...

If I were to design a custom pair, I'd go for the following :

Standard non-anodized aluminium for the frame cups and outer grill, tan leather for the pads and headband, deep blue anodized screws for the sake of contrast and perhaps a deep brown interior grill.

Sounds good to me...

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,881 of 22,596
Actually I'm quite happy with their default color scheme. In I think Henry Fords tradition: color doesn't matter as long as its black :wink:

And No, I'm not one of those people that would live with something they see as ugly just because of its sound...

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,885 of 22,596
  I'm speechless... Considering that they might cost a lot more than the already not that cheap standard edition... but well, taste does not have a price tag I guess :wink:

Let's not forget this other gem from October:

Custom one-of-a-kind AB-1266 made for one customer per his spec. Polished purple and gold, soft snakeskin pads, the only stock components are the transducers. Expensive, and Wild!

Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Pimp your headphone!" XD

Also note the spider web design. Those familiar with the Abyss prototype will appreciate this. I wonder if it alters acoustics...

Originally, there was going to be the option to insert discs into that area to customize the sound, but the plans were scrapped.

Certainly some taste-less rapper going for the most expensive pair of cans they can get...

If I were to design a custom pair, I'd go for the following :

Standard non-anodized aluminium for the frame cups and outer grill, tan leather for the pads and headband, deep blue anodized screws for the sake of contrast and perhaps a deep brown interior grill.

Sounds good to me...

If I ever had a custom one made, I'd at least try to avoid goofy color schemes like the two so far. Red and black is pretty awesome to my tastes, but...

Actually I'm quite happy with their default color scheme. In I think Henry Fords tradition: color doesn't matter as long as its black :wink:

And No, I'm not one of those people that would live with something they see as ugly just because of its sound...

...I have to agree that the all black is fine and dandy.

Errrr, its not a real product is it? I mean it has been Photo Shopped or something, right?

It is an actual photo of a genuine Abyss, shared on Abyss Headphones' Facebook page.

Another one of a kind Abyss headphone headed to it's new owner- Ostrich and all...

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,887 of 22,596
I noticed a strange smell coming from these after 2 weeks of use. Its not overwhelming, but definitely present. Its a metallic-like burning smell that reminds me of a circuit board that has shorted out.
I thought something was coming from my electronics stack, but found out its from the headphones. 

Anyone else notice this?

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,889 of 22,596
Yeah, both have that smell. I drove them from my hugo last night. Moderate to loud volume but nothing excessive. Hmmmm.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,890 of 22,596

Let's not forget this other gem from October:

Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Pimp your headphone!" XD

Also note the spider web design. Those familiar with the Abyss prototype will appreciate this. I wonder if it alters acoustics...

Oh my... just had to make sure mine is still black on black and nobody got in at night to change that :wink:

Regarding the spider web: given how sensitive these drivers react to different load (i.e. air resistance and reflexions) I can well imagine that it can make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back