The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #18,106 of 22,511
My 1266 Phi TC was delivered earlier this week and I am incredibly impressed by them. This is my first experience with TOTL headphones and I'm blown away at how much it improves over other really good headphones I've owned (HEDDphone, Aeon 2 Noire, Ananda, Elex, HD8XX, HD700).

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that it's better than just about all the individual strengths of my existing headphones. I didn't think it was possible for a single headphone to combine *everything*.

• Low-end dynamics/bass slam are better than the Elex.
  • Low-end detail and texture are on another planet from my collection and unlike anything I've heard, especially combined with the slam. And without sounding weirdly artificial like the Dekoni Blue is at times.
  • Mid/high dynamics and resolution are better than the HEDDphone (which is a shock, I didn't think there was much headroom above that)
  • Soundstaging is way more open, layered, and exposing than the Ananda or HD8XX (which I was not impressed with and returned)...even better than the memory I have of my falling apart HD700.
    • I've been chasing the dragon of my memory of the HD700 and was wondering if my memory was flawed as no other headphone in my collection ever came close to the soundstage of the HD700. Then the TC exceeded my memory of the HD700. This was the single biggest delight and surprise of the TC.
  • Imaging is great, though I admit I don't listen to a lot of music that benefits from spectacular imaging.
    • I have HD800S on order, intended to be gaming headphones, but I might just stick with the TC for that, too
  • I love bass (especially the sub-bass) and the bass on the TC is so great I turned my Lokius off and just leave it off now. Usually I leave the sub-bass knob turned up (almost) all the way with every other headphone just to make sure that itch is scratched. This doesn't have the most bass, but the quality of it more than makes up for a few dB difference.
  • Even with all the macrodynamics and detail, there's no fatigue, inline with the Ananda (without the Ananda's overall laid back approach).
  • Overall the frequency response is great, though I might prefer the Noires a tiny bit here.
  • All of technical checkboxes are checked while still sounding so lifelike.

My HEDDphones are out to repair a headband, but switching back to any of the other headphones I have around to compare is a significant downgrade. Kind of dismayed about it, like regret purchasing them almost. Though there's no way I would purchase a $5k headphone without first experiencing all the steps to get to this point.

The gaps between the TC and my $700-$1800 headphones are bigger than the gaps between my $700-$1800 headphones and the $150-$200 end of my collection, which was really unexpected.

The TC are also the most revealing for my amps. So far I've just used my Phonitor XE and Lyr 3. Both drive the TC well, but I can hear more differences between them than I could with any other headphone. Considering the Formula S as my next gear upgrade, or an upgrade on my DAC over the Bifrost 2. I like both the Phonitor XE and the Bifrost 2, so I'm not sure which will be next to be upgraded.

The lack of clamp is novel, usually I like a lot of clamp, but I can't argue with the results. However, I find taking the TC on and off is a bit uncomfortable as I can't pull it away from my head due to the stiffness. Instead, I have to take it off 'through' my ears and they get folded/twisted in various uncomfortable ways. I wish this process were more comfortable to just throw on for a minute to listen to a video on Twitter or something like that.

No issue with my usual hotspot on the top of my head, great job with the head band.

The cable is silly and I'm glad other companies don't make their cables join at the termination. It's a minor thing, but I am not in the habit of adjusting both cable runs when I need to adjust them. Maybe I get used to this over time.

My wife said I looked funny wearing them. Worth it.

sounds like you "get" the 1266, as others here do : )

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #18,107 of 22,511
My 1266 Phi TC was delivered earlier this week and I am incredibly impressed by them. This is my first experience with TOTL headphones and I'm blown away at how much it improves over other really good headphones I've owned (HEDDphone, Aeon 2 Noire, Ananda, Elex, HD8XX, HD700).

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that it's better than just about all the individual strengths of my existing headphones. I didn't think it was possible for a single headphone to combine *everything*.

• Low-end detail and texture are on another planet from my collection and unlike anything I've heard, especially combined with the slam. And without sounding weirdly artificial like the Dekoni Blue is at times.
  • Mid/high dynamics and resolution are better than the HEDDphone (which is a shock, I didn't think there was much headroom above that)
  • Soundstaging is way more open, layered, and exposing than the Ananda or HD8XX (which I was not impressed with and returned)...even better than the memory I have of my falling apart HD700.
    • I've been chasing the dragon of my memory of the HD700 and was wondering if my memory was flawed as no other headphone in my collection ever came close to the soundstage of the HD700. Then the TC exceeded my memory of the HD700. This was the single biggest delight and surprise of the TC.
  • Imaging is great, though I admit I don't listen to a lot of music that benefits from spectacular imaging.
    • I have HD800S on order, intended to be gaming headphones, but I might just stick with the TC for that, too
  • I love bass (especially the sub-bass) and the bass on the TC is so great I turned my Lokius off and just leave it off now. Usually I leave the sub-bass knob turned up (almost) all the way with every other headphone just to make sure that itch is scratched. This doesn't have the most bass, but the quality of it more than makes up for a few dB difference.
  • Even with all the macrodynamics and detail, there's no fatigue, inline with the Ananda (without the Ananda's overall laid back approach).
  • Overall the frequency response is great, though I might prefer the Noires a tiny bit here.

My HEDDphones are out to repair a headband, but switching back to any of the other headphones I have around to compare is a significant downgrade. Kind of dismayed about it, like regret purchasing the other headphones almost. Though there's no way I would purchase a $5k headphone without first experiencing all the steps to get to this point.

The gaps between the TC and my $700-$1800 headphones are bigger than the gaps between my $700-$1800 headphones and the $150-$200 end of my collection, which was really unexpected.

The TC are also the most revealing for my amps. So far I've just used my Phonitor XE and Lyr 3. Both drive the TC well, but I can hear more differences between them than I could with any other headphone. Considering the Formula S as my next gear upgrade, or an upgrade on my DAC over the Bifrost 2. I like both the Phonitor XE and the Bifrost 2, so I'm not sure which will be next to be upgraded.

The lack of clamp is novel, usually I like a lot of clamp, but I can't argue with the results. However, I find taking the TC on and off is a bit uncomfortable as I can't pull it away from my head due to the stiffness. Instead, I have to take it off 'through' my ears and they get folded/twisted in various uncomfortable ways. I wish this process were more comfortable to just throw on for a minute to listen to a video on Twitter or something like that.

No issue with my usual hotspot on the top of my head, great job with the head band.

The cable is silly and I'm glad other companies don't make their cables join at the termination. It's a minor thing, but I am not in the habit of adjusting both cable runs when I need to adjust them. Maybe I get used to this over time.

Nice review, my observations do reflect with your findings.
The first time I heard them I thought I need to get these, it took me almost 2 years to get them after I strayed down the Stax and Blue Hawaii way in the middle. Sold all of that and don't think the AB-1266 is going anywhere in a hurry.
The rest of the manufactures have a fair bit to do to catchup.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #18,108 of 22,511
Credit to @newworld666 for introducing us to this track over on the DCA Stealth thread. It's a great track to see where your amp runs out of juice. The bass should not distort, it's clean.
Not hearing any distortion. What part would be distorting?

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #18,109 of 22,511

My HEDDphones are out to repair a headband, but switching back to any of the other headphones I have around to compare is a significant downgrade. Kind of dismayed about it, like regret purchasing the other headphones almost. Though there's no way I would purchase a $5k headphone without first experiencing all the steps to get to this point.

Welcome to the club. The tc will become more comfy over time, it took me a while but bend and extend the frame so it’s not touching your ears when removing, it seems it is still too tight. And the tc is THE BEST for gaming, period. The visceral impact makes all the difference here.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #18,110 of 22,511
I game with my 1266TC as well and they are insanely good

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #18,111 of 22,511
I had a new custom amp arrive yesterday. It pairs very nicely with the Abyss. There are 4 output impedance selectors on the front of the amp. Three switches on the rear to switch between 6J5/6SN7 driver tubes, 30mA/60mA for bias of power tubes and CCS/RES to switch between a CCS circuit and one with resistors. Definitely has good power for those power hungry Abyss.

IMG_7232 1.jpg
IMG_7234 1.jpg
IMG_7234.jpg

More details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/page-55

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #18,113 of 22,511
One EL34 tube per channel single-ended(?) What's the power output into those 4 impedances?
Yes EL34 single-ended. Amp can also take KT63, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL35, EL37, 6L6, etc and various tubes with adapters such as EL11, EL3N, 4654, 4689, EL51, etc.

I've asked @A2029 for the power output specs and other specs as I can't remember them off hand.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #18,114 of 22,511
I had a new custom amp arrive yesterday. It pairs very nicely with the Abyss. There are 4 output impedance selectors on the front of the amp. Three switches on the rear to switch between 6J5/6SN7 driver tubes, 30mA/60mA for bias of power tubes and CCS/RES to switch between a CCS circuit and one with resistors. Definitely has good power for those power hungry Abyss.

IMG_7232 1.jpgIMG_7234 1.jpgIMG_7234.jpg

More details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/page-55
Get a better table, such classic geat on glass shelves?
Also do you have a stereo setup? If not please try and listen to one through your chain else your wasting the capability of that Lampizator on just headphones.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #18,115 of 22,511
Get a better table, such classic geat on glass shelves?
Also do you have a stereo setup? If not please try and listen to one through your chain else your wasting the capability of that Lampizator on just headphones.
This is the living room, and as such I share it with other family members, so their opinion also counts and they like the current shelving. Yes there is a stereo system in that room. I do agree that just using that DAC with headphones would be close to sacrilege.

But, my main system is upstairs in a dedicated music room where I also have another Lampizator DAC. There I am free to do what I want and have different custom audio furniture.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #18,116 of 22,511
I used to have a level 7, it’s was clearly the biggest sonic upgrade in my system at the time but when I got decent vinyl gear I found myself listening to vinyl all the time and decided to sell the Lampizator still miss it sometimes.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #18,118 of 22,511
I used to have a level 7, it’s was clearly the biggest sonic upgrade in my system at the time but when I got decent vinyl gear I found myself listening to vinyl all the time and decided to sell the Lampizator still miss it sometimes.
I too am a fan of vinyl. If you would have asked me a few years ago I would have said digital is only for "on the go" listening. How things have changed. The Level 7 is a super nice DAC. Lampizator released a new "engine53" a few years ago in the Pacific, and then started adding it to their lower end models. This is when I purchased the Atlantic TRP. It gives my VPI Prime Signature + Benz Micro LPS a run for it's money, but yes on a good recording, and a clean piece of vinyl, I do still prefer vinyl.

Might be worth checking out the L7 Mk2 with engine53 :)
https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/big-7-dac

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #18,119 of 22,511
I too am a fan of vinyl. If you would have asked me a few years ago I would have said digital is only for "on the go" listening. How things have changed. The Level 7 is a super nice DAC. Lampizator released a new "engine53" a few years ago in the Pacific, and then started adding it to their lower end models. This is when I purchased the Atlantic TRP. It gives my VPI Prime Signature + Benz Micro LPS a run for it's money, but yes on a good recording, and a clean piece of vinyl, I do still prefer vinyl.

Might be worth checking out the L7 Mk2 with engine53 :)
https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/big-7-dac
Is the new engine worth it in lower end models? I'm debating going for an Amber 3 or getting a second hand Atlantic 1. They both match my budget.

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #18,120 of 22,511
Is the new engine worth it in lower end models? I'm debating going for an Amber 3 or getting a second hand Atlantic 1. They both match my budget.
Very good question. You are not the only one to ask that. In my photo from above that is the original GA Atlantic 1 with R2R. I did quite the extensive back-to-back testing against the TRP when it arrived (had both plugged in at the same time so could A/B test easily). I then listened to the TRP only for 2 weeks before listening to the original Atlantic again (in the same system). I still like the original Atlantic (obviously as I still have it), but I do prefer the newer TRP. My recommendation would be to go with the Amber 3. Some are saying this model is too good as an entry level model. I think there is a thread on here for the Amber?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back