The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #17,191 of 22,431
Thanks for the response. How the hell do you accomplish that? No dealers locally (S. Florida). I'd hate to invest $5k in a phone and then find out it doesn't work with a pair of $12k amps and then have to buy another amp.

Now I remember why I got out of high end HP about 5 years ago and just stuck to speaker based systems. I'm not saying you don't need to be careful about matching speaker amps/speakers, but I've never had a big $ amp/speaker combo that was awful. Some speakers or amps worked out better than others but there was enough research you could do (at least I could) to ensure everything played nicely together. Pairing high-end phones / amp combos seem like hit or miss to me. TOTL headphone only amps are crazy priced compared to the quality you get in a similarly priced speaker amp, WA33 anyone? You can get a Dagostino stereo amp for $8k that is of much higher build quality. :)
Agree 100% about stereo amps (Dagostino is a fine example), although I prefer HPs to speakers. Sold most of my speakers which confuses my two channel aficionado friends, lol. I just enjoy the intimacy of HPs more and I like to listen to music when I am working at my desk.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #17,193 of 22,431
My Superconductor finally came in. Absolute night and day difference between the stock cable for build quality. I will report back after its properly burnt in of how it compares to the stock cable :gs1000smile:

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #17,194 of 22,431
I can make the case for both speakers and HP. I don't listen enough to a system I have more than $150k into because I don't want to disturb the family (I listen LOUD). That's why I am looking at phones (again). Would prefer not to have top spend more than $5k all-in because I have spent a lot of money on the system the past few months and wife is no terribly happy about it. That's why a TOTL HP that works with the amps I have at home would be great.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #17,195 of 22,431
I can make the case for both speakers and HP. I don't listen enough to a system I have more than $150k into because I don't want to disturb the family (I listen LOUD). That's why I am looking at phones (again). Would prefer not to have top spend more than $5k all-in because I have spent a lot of money on the system the past few months and wife is no terribly happy about it. That's why a TOTL HP that works with the amps I have at home would be great.
Ah the old problem. I feel like we are eternally stuck in a cycle between speakers and headphones, given the situation with families and so on.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #17,196 of 22,431
Any opinions on pairing a 35W SET amp (6C33) with either the Abyss or the Susvara phones? I have a pair of Wall M50s just sitting around gathering dust that I used in a set-up with single driver speakers. The Walls sounded great driving Tonian speakers and I thought might be good driving headphones. They are built like brick **ithouses and I thought 35W into 8ohm would translate nicely into a 47 ohm load.

Thanks in advance.
The power would halve as the impedance doubles (using an ideal relationship). So 17.5 watts into 17 ohms. 8.75 W into 34 ohms. 4.375 W into 68 ohms. So you should be able to drive the 1266. You can also buy impedance matching wires or devices if it is noisy. I have been thinking about this myself, but have not done it. Others have and recommend it highly as they feel speaker amps are made better and for less money. Can you try it with an inexpensive HP? If so, let us know. Tks.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #17,197 of 22,431
Your amp will likely be fine.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #17,198 of 22,431
Ah the old problem. I feel like we are eternally stuck in a cycle between speakers and headphones, given the situation with families and so on.
Exactly. I have a small home and most of my listening is very early in the morning or late at night. Headphones are the only way.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #17,199 of 22,431
Exactly. I have a small home and most of my listening is very early in the morning or late at night. Headphones are the only way.
Absolutely the same, outside of Home Theatre use. I really don't use my speakers for music as much these days.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #17,200 of 22,431
Has anyone compared the JPS SC cable with the Danacable Lazuli Nirvana cable? I have the Nirvana cable so I don’t have the heart or the funds for a JPS SC cable. Any opinion by experience would be appreciated.
I expect my new Abyss 1266 Phi TC next week.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #17,201 of 22,431
My new stand.

unnamed.jpg

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #17,202 of 22,431
My new stand.

unnamed.jpg
That looks great! Did you order this from somewhere or make it yourself?

Also I see you are using the silver dragon moon audio cable. Any thoughts on how this pairs with the 1266? Or if you've already posted them and could link it I would really appreciate it.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #17,203 of 22,431
That looks great! Did you order this from somewhere or make it yourself?

Also I see you are using the silver dragon moon audio cable. Any thoughts on how this pairs with the 1266? Or if you've already posted them and could link it I would really appreciate it.
Thanks! Commissioned it to a carpenter I know. Was his first test before I commission him a new study table, lol.

The silver dragon is fine. I prefer it to the stock. Slightly more refined across the frequency spectrum. It’s worth a look if you don’t want to spring for the SC.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #17,204 of 22,431
So headphone auditions in Amsterdam has the 1266 ROOMS stand in stock https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/product/haa-abyss-stand/ or at least the owner is about to receive 20 units. I emailed him, Stefan, at stefan@headphoneauditions.nl, to request one of the 20 units. They don't normally ship to the US if that's where you're from but you can ask and he will take care of it for you. Total price is 349 euros (including shipping) which was a bit over 400 usd for me. It's a lot but it's the best stand I've seen for the 1266. Hopefully other's in this thread can take advantage of this if they've been waiting to get one of these.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #17,205 of 22,431
The silver dragon is fine. I prefer it to the stock. Slightly more refined across the frequency spectrum. It’s worth a look if you don’t want to spring for the SC.
Good to know it's definitely something I've been interested in. I was trying to get a Vykari cable from Norne but the silver supply issues worldwide means that there is a long wait just for him to start making one for you. So I've been looking elsewhere. Probably will pick up a copper cable from Norne but am waiting to hear if they are able to make those. If not I may end up with the Moon Audio cable as the ergonomics of the stock cable are not the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back