The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #17,086 of 22,434
I wonder why top recording studios don't use super conductor cables, Imagine every song with that extra chocolatey mids. from all those Swiss chocolate factories designed in the electrons of this super conductor
They use niobium titanium, nerd.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #17,089 of 22,434
Im happy with my Lazuli Ultra and i don't want spend that much $$ for SC.
This is on my wants list as well. I plan to compare multiple high end cables

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #17,090 of 22,434
Aug 1, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #17,091 of 22,434
What are your thoughts on the differences?
I used the money to buy something that I could actually hear a noticeable difference... SR1a. :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #17,092 of 22,434
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #17,093 of 22,434
It takes 70+ hours to fully break in according to Joe from Abyss. I have one incoming so excited to see what it adds. Interesting to read your comments of how it differs on different amps :L3000:
The thing is, this is through the cable company’s borrow program (you pay them 5% to borrow a piece of gear, and then you get your money back if you buy that or anything else)

all the stuff in their loaner program is used, though I have no way of knowing the types of hours on it.

Anyhow, when I first heard the superconductor cable (on the Formula X) it was such a stark difference. Now it’s not, but I think the Wa33 adds certain elements the Superconductor did. After I listen to it for a couple days I’ll go back to the stock and then I’ll know if it’s actually worth it or not.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #17,094 of 22,434
Anyhow, when I first heard the superconductor cable (on the Formula X) it was such a stark difference. Now it’s not, but I think the Wa33 adds certain elements the Superconductor did. After I listen to it for a couple days I’ll go back to the stock and then I’ll know if it’s actually worth it or not.
I have the formula S/powerman so good to know :D

Sounds like The midrange is probaly already so impressive on the WA33 there isn't any more to add?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #17,095 of 22,434
Just received my 1266 TC's on Wednesday and finally got a good amount of hours on them and the main things that hit me in the face when I first listened was the resolution and clarity without any harshness and of course the solid bass that will make your fillings in your teeth rattle loose.. I would think with that amount of resolution and clarity only certain types of genres would be able to listen nope the TC's seem to thrive on anything you throw at them. Very impressed and now I understand why most people have the Susvara/1266 TC combo they compliment each other very nicely.. I was also expecting them to be big & heavy but thankfully no when you get them dialed in very comfortable..

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #17,096 of 22,434
Not necessarily true... Sold mine . Went back to stock.
Of course, each configuration has a different answer.
I have tried various Silver, Copper or Hybrid cables before SC. None of these came close. In second place I definitely put the Abyss stock cable, already excellent but not as SC. It's not just for a more full-bodied mid-range speech. I also find in SC more definition and less brightness.

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #17,097 of 22,434
I have the formula S/powerman so good to know :D

Sounds like The midrange is probaly already so impressive on the WA33 there isn't any more to add?

Exactly. That was the major difference. The midrange of the Wa33 was, to me, why you get the amp for the abyss. Lots of headphone amps have plenty of power, Wa33 included, but that was it's secret weapon. The headphones disappear and you are just left with music.

But, there were also areas of the Superconductor I didn't like in comparison to the stock with the Formula S. Best test track for what I'm speaking to for me was the first track of the Star Trek: Into The Darkness Score. It sounded slow and plodding rather than fast - as the Abyss typically was with the stock cable. While it sounded great on rock and vocal oriented music, I didn't want to pay that much for a cable that made certain genres I listen to sound worse.

Now, it's not doing it with the Wa33. Now I listened to the stock cable at night on Friday for a couple hours, and received the Superconductor on Saturday - and listened to that all weekend without switching back. From recollection, differences are subtle. But I need to compare it directly to stock. I will after I get a couple more days on these cables.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #17,098 of 22,434
Exactly. That was the major difference. The midrange of the Wa33 was, to me, why you get the amp for the abyss. Lots of headphone amps have plenty of power, Wa33 included, but that was it's secret weapon. The headphones disappear and you are just left with music.
I really wonder about this WA33. Since I live in Europe and getting fully upgraded WA33 is kinda impossible (read very expensive) I cannot directly try. Could you tell me what do you mean by "headphones disappear" when you refer to midrange of this amp with 1266? For example, I tried Riviera AIC-10 and Viva Egoista 845 amplifier, both amazing pieces of equipment, BUT I don't know which of it I would call "headphones disappear". Are you referring to transparency? I found Egoista much more transparent (playing to strengths of 1266), BUT Riviera was more enjoyable for mid centric music, as it coloured 1266's recessed cold/metallic mids. When you say headphones disappear, is that because WA33 changes tonality of the headphone to something more pleasing, or because it does not change the signature? I am curious, thanks!

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #17,099 of 22,434
My personal opinion: why should I spend 10 / 20K on amplification to change the setting of a headphone (Abyss AB-1266) that was born like this, with its advantages (many) and defects (few)?

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #17,100 of 22,434
My personal opinion: why should I spend 10 / 20K on amplification to change the setting of a headphone (Abyss AB-1266) that was born like this, with its advantages (many) and defects (few)?
Oh, I absolutely agree, I thought it was ridiculous to even try, wanted to rather have a second pair of headphones, but when I actually test driven all of these combinations (Susvara, Valkyria, Utopia and Bartok or Viva) I just ended up falling in love with 1266+Riviera, nothing else quite could do it for me after that. Of course, that is only true for some genres, EDM still sounds best out of Bartok (not using Riviera for EDM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back