The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,651 of 22,596
I am waiting to see what Audeze come up with the prototype Z before making a decision to go with the Abyss. In the meantime I would like to spend some time with the Abyss so I guess that means a call to George at A2A...

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,652 of 22,596
Yeah the LCD-Z will be tricky to get a good amp match with. If the Apex teton can do it well I'll have a good enough excuse to get a good OTL amp!

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,653 of 22,596
  I am waiting to see what Audeze come up with the prototype Z before making a decision to go with the Abyss. In the meantime I would like to spend some time with the Abyss so I guess that means a call to George at A2A...

If you make that call, I think you will be walking away with a pair.  :wink:

I mean, it only makes sense as the next logical step if you end up with the wa234...

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,654 of 22,596
  If you make that call, I think you will be walking away with a pair.  :wink:

I mean, it only makes sense as the next logical step if you end up with the wa234...

Made the call...

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,659 of 22,596
I had received my Abyss a week back. These headphones are highly addictive. I haven't watched any TV since I got these. All the albums that I thought previously boring and lifeless have opened up now. You feel like the band is sitting around you playing just for you! Truly 3D soundstage. These are for Stereo recordings. When you put on Binaural recordings, it becomes truly stunning and eerie. I have looked begins my back once our twice to see if there was someone there.

Personally I like the biker vibes of the Abyss. When I put them on the first time, my wife suggested that I look like a Cyber Man from Doctor Who!:)

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,660 of 22,596
I had received my Abyss a week back. These headphones are highly addictive. I haven't watched any TV since I got these. All the albums that I thought previously boring and lifeless have opened up now. You feel like the band is sitting around you playing just for you! Truly 3D soundstage. These are for Stereo recordings. When you put on Binaural recordings, it becomes truly stunning and eerie...!:)

I am happy for you that you enjoy So much your toy. Can you tell what source and amp you use with it.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,661 of 22,596
Congrats, Sathyam! Yes, it is a truly wonderful can. 
atsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,662 of 22,596
I am happy for you that you enjoy So much your toy. Can you tell what source and amp you use with it.

Here's the source chain I have been using: Dell Laptop (JRiver 20) --> Schiit Wyrd --> Auralic Vega DAC --> Auralic Taurus MKII --> Abyss (4 pin XLR).

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,663 of 22,596
Went in to Addicted to Audio today to pick up my woo transport and thought I'd bring in my Abyss, some tubes and my music server to test out a little something....
Bad idea, after this I don't think I'll be making any purchases for a fair while, struggling by on these apprentice wages :S

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,665 of 22,596
How was the wa234 with your tubes?

Kinda wishing I hadn't brought them in, major step up from the stock tubes, more resolving, bigger, deeper soundstage, better extension, much faster and heaps more bass control. Changing out the tubes in the 234 had more of an effect than rolling the WA5, just goes to show how resolving it is. Can't wait to try out some 45 tubes though, read from a few sources that they're the king of SET if output power isn't an issue.
Think A2A will be pretty happy though, 2 WA234 sales within a month, well after mine gets priced. I'm getting a pre amp output and xlr loop out installed on mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back